“Rains and whales” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Whale Watching Sydney

Whale Watching Sydney
Darling Harbour | Cockle Bay Marina, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
+61 2 9583 1199
Sydney Eco Whale Watching Small Group Cruise
Ranked #101 of 415 Activities in Sydney
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watching Sydney offers daily cruises from Darling Harbour and Circular Quay to watch Humpback whales. Whale watching Sydney (Bass & Flinders Cruises), have been operating since 1979 and whale watching since 1991. Award winning Australian certified eco-tours. Success rate is 98% and all cruises are guaranteed to see whales. Also, see other marine wildlife such as dolphins, albatross, seals and the beautiful coastline of Sydney. Check website for rates & specials.
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
14 attraction reviews
“Rains and whales”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

A rainy sunday morning, a rocky boat from darling harbour, the sea was quite rough... we traveled for around 10 nautical miles and then we were told that a whale was spotted near coogee beach area and the boat was directed there.. bingo, saw the big whale which jumped out of the water and did a somersault, we followed it for some time and then spotted another whale and then 2 brothers (dont know why the guides called them as brothers). It was amazing to watch the two brothers doing a couple of somersault, which was the peak show of the day.
The packages comes with 2 or 3 hours and its better to go with a bigger boat as its more stable if you want to photograph, else the small boats are more fun as you are agile.
look for online offer for a better deal

Visited June 2012

London
13 attraction reviews
“Great day out whale watching”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I booked the 3 hour afternoon tour, I stupidly missed the boat at Darling Harbour but the guy helpfully told me how to get a taxi to catch it up at Circular Quay. It was a really sunny day but the wind was up and the sea quite rough. There were lots of safety reminders though. Naively I thought it was more high tech whale locating but it's just spotting the blowholes, of which we saw loads after a while. Unfortunately we didn't see any breaching near to the boat as in the photos but they are wild animals so can't expect too much I guess! One mother and calf humpback swam directly under the boat and came up right next to us. It lasted only a few seconds and I could have stayed all day. Quite a bit of info was given about the whales, it did seem a bit over the top when the bloke said about 50 times how lucky we were to see a whale that close to the boat. It may have been true but it also may have been so people weren't disappointed in what we had seen. I would definitely recommend this, they do a YHA discount which is good and I had considered going again and would have done if I had more time.

Orange, Australia
182 attraction reviews
“Many, Many Whales!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Actually, I had a hard time in the tour. The boat was small, fast and .... very bumpy, so I had got sea sickness even before we reached the observation area. The tour guide was knowledgeable and informative, but I couldn't listen to him. Eventually I watched whales with a paper bag in one hand and a camera in the other. Still, I watched many whales appearing and disappearing on the sea surface, which excited me very much. In addition, a few of them got close to our boat! Although I threw up a few times during the tour, it was the most unforgettable experience in Sydney.

Hamilton, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“Whale of a time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our whale watching experience was truly amazing with heaps of whales breaching. The staff were extremely knowlegable and very helpful. A most enjoyable day on the ocean

Buntingford
3 attraction reviews
“A must do for any trip to Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My third trip to Sydney and a trip out with whalewatchingsydney.net is a must-do on my list. In fact, I usually have at least 2 trips with them as the experience and whale sightings are always different each time. The crew are very knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic in what they do which makes it enjoyable for all around. They are also very observant and respectful of the code of conduct around whales so don't harass the animals by getting too close. The upside of this is that the whales are much more likely to stick around and put on a good varied display of behaviours and may even venture closer to the boat out of their own curiosity. Take layers - it is usually quite windy once you are outside the Heads. Have something light to eat about an hour before you sail and you're less likely to feel seasick. Locating the whales can take a few mins or up to an hour but there is never a dull moment with the opportunity to see albatross, fur seals, penguins and dolphins too. The thrill of being the first to spot the whale is infectious. Highly recommended.

Can book via website or at quayside, booklets at airport have a discount voucher for this attraction which makes it good value, website also shows photos from each trip's sightings