“Very Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

Save Saved
You added Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   243 Pyrmont Street | Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights & Save 10%!
Ranked #38 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Central Coast NSW
“Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I like to say we stayed 2 nights during the opening baseball series in march 2014, My wife and I stayed in a studio apartment, check in and parking was easy, staff were friendly and helpful, the room was large and well appointed. Bed Was comfy and shower is nice and hot and great water pressure. Pity about the view of a brick wall.

The only disappointments is paying for Wifi, really? get with it, the lifts are sloooooooow, painfully slow, the key cards issued don't work most of the time so when you do get a lift you're on the wrong floor by the time the lift accepts your card, frustrating when it happens everytime and to others in the lift as well, same problem with the room door, for a price of $200 a night it was something I wouldn't do again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for your post. Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I would like to apologise for your dissatisfaction in regards to the Wi-Fi services. In regards to the Key Cards as they are have built in sensitive magnetic strips they do tend to deactivate if in contact with either mobile phones or credit cards. I will be sure to take your comments onboard and address them with the staff and other departments with the goal to improve our overall level of service and operations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Thai first
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Have stayed at these apartments on many occasions and have always found the staff and facilities of exceptional standard. Yes the elevators are crappy, but at least they cater for more than just two people as I have found at other locations. The proximity to Darling Harbour and then the city by way of the light rail or on foot is a major plus. We hire a car on arrival at the airport each time we visit from avis use it for the day then drop it off at the casino down the road and walk to the hotel. No need for a car from this location but if you have one the parking is only $25 per day across the walkway at level 2 from the hotel. Booked two bedroom apartment on this last visit and were placed in room 1408, Has enormous balcony looking over Darling Harbour and out the bedrooms to Wentworth park and the Anzac bridge. Fireworks from the balcony on Saturday night were excellent. Close proximity to all styles of eatery's to suit all tastes and pockets,

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and that the location was desirable for your needs while in Sydney. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

This place is BAD! Worst internet connections I've experienced for a LONG LOOOOOONG time, and paid service for that matter! Elevators almost are non-existing because they take "eternity" to arrive, and when one of them finally does, the key card doesn't work most of the time. Although it is not too far away from Darling Harbour, you probably want to get back to your room with the amount of waiting. If you want to be a hermit while visiting Sydney, this is probably your choice; otherwise, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I am sorry that the overall standard did not meet your expectations. We are currently looking to improve our Wifi services and hope that this problem will be rectified in the near future. Thank you for your feedback regarding the lifts and swipe cards. We are also looking at upgrading the lifts to improve there overall efficiency. Thank you for your post.
Bunbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My daughter and I stayed in an apartment at the Oaks Goldsbrough apartments for 3 nights. We arrived around lunch time and the staff at reception were very helpful. They were very busy at this time but they took the time to upgrade our room and gave us information as to where to go and eat and just general directions. We come from Perth and as this was our first trip to Sydney, we were more than happy with the location of this hotel. From the 2nd floor there is a direct link over to Darling Harbour where there are great choices of restaurants, and lots of different shops. Also the Star casino is only 5 minutes away, you can either walk or get the tram, which leaves opposite the hotel and drops you off right outside the casino. Not far to walk into the city, or over to catch a ferry over to Circular Quay. We would certainly recommend this hotel for a stay as is central to most places, and a great choice of transport. Our room was great, but we didn't get a view, but that was a small price to pay for the wonderful days that we spent there. A big thankyou to the wonderful staff at the Oaks Goldsbrough.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor, very quiet. No A/C noise
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback. I am happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I will be sure to thank the staff for their attentiveness and hospitality. It is always encouraging to hear such favourable feedback and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you when you are next in Sydney.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights as part of our tour of Australia.

Because it was my husband's 30th birthday we got upgraded to a one bedroom apartment which was a really nice surprise!

We found it a bit hard to navigate our way to the apartments (we arrived in Sydney from Cairns at 9pm) but luckily met some other residents who could show us the way.

Our apartment was lovely, but we did mess up the aircon when we arrived so it was a bit cold (our fault totally!)

The kitchen had everything we needed and there was fresh tea and coffee etc every day.

I loved the washing machine and now want the same at home!

Bed was really comfy!

Location is great (once we found it) and really easy to walk about the CBD from there.

We used the pool most days which was lovely. Although indoor it was nice to have a quick dip after a long day sight seeing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that you found the location convenient and enjoyed your stay in the apartment. I am happy that the staff was able to offer you an upgrade and that you enjoyed your one bedroom apartment. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments with my husband and 1 year old for 4 nights in February as part of a family holiday and work trip.

We selected the Oaks Goldsbrough for it's price, location to Darling Harbour and the responses on Trip Advisor. Most of the points were favourable, but the room was a little tired and run down. The kitchenette, although functional, was old, the drawers didn't close properly (laminate coming off of the lower drawers) and the oven was dirty. The room had been painted recently, as were many of the rooms being done during our stay (paint smell through the foyers), but the room needed a little more than that to make it worth the price we paid.

The bed only just fit into the bedroom, and did not fit a port-a-cot, but it was wedged in there anyway. The port-a-cot was highway robbery at $20 a night..! I've never paid for a cot anywhere in the world..! We could have bought one and threw it away for the same price..! We forgot to ask for a high chair - just as well - I would hate to think how expensive it was going to be.

Positives though were the closeness to Darling Harbour - whilst the walk is not just a couple of minutes away; it requires going over a pedestrian bridge, through a multi-storey car park, down a lift and crossing a busy road at a small crossing (currently near the demolition / building site of the Sydney Convention Centre). We didn't mind the walk - but other people might find this a bit far. (Also, there is no disabled / ramp access into the hotel building from the front - making it hard for those with strollers - like us..!).

The room was spacious enough - dining table and chairs, couch that folded out into a sofa bed and good sized TV. A cupboard contained a washing machine, dryer, ironing board and clothes horse. The walk to the IGA (with ATM) is only 5 minutes away.

Our room backed onto the lane way, so we had no view, but we had a balcony. Unfortunately with a one year old, it was too dangerous to use and we couldn't open the window for air (no fly screen) and we ran the air conditioner constantly. The indoor foyer makes use of the old wool shed feel and you can look directly down to the bottom floor, crossing gang planks into your rooms.

Even though the Convention Centre was in various states of demolition during our stay, we couldn't hear any of the noise, or any of the other guests in the building either. The staff were friendly and helpful. The indoor pool is more of a lap pool (all one depth, not good for small children) and the gym looked well equipped.

If you are looking for a cheap option, where you won't spend much time in the room, close to most of the Darling Harbour sights, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a balcony if you have small children - we probably should have asked to chang...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that the location was desirable for your needs while in Sydney. Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. The building is a heritage listed building that was established in the 1800’s as a Wool Store. The open atrium and the original hardwood floors have been maintained to uphold the authenticity that it was created. In regards to the extra bed/ cot as we do have limited numbers they need to be pre-booked and have additional charges. We are also currently embarking on a refurbishment of our apartments. We are aiming to lift the overall standard by modernising these rooms and bringing them inline with the 4 star standard at of oaks vision. I hope when you are next in Sydney you have the opportunity of experiencing one of these apartments. I will be sure to pass on your nice comments regarding the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed in March/April 2013 and the accommodation was great. Staff were very helpful on check-in and the storage area for luggage is very convenient. Location is perfect with it being very near the Harbour and the shops.

Even the house-keeping staff went the extra mile to make my stay great. One day I came back from shopping early and dumped all my shopping bags on the bed before heading out to grab some lunch. Stopped in quickly after lunch and saw house-keeping had left a note on my bed to say that because there was so much stuff on the bed, they weren't able to make it. However, they were still only a few rooms down from mine and they must have seen me come back because they took the extra effort to come back and ask if I would like them to make the bed now.

Service was great and I would definitely recommend to anyone looking to stay in Sydney.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made you feel welcome. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments? Share your experiences!