“Good Deal in Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

You added Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   243 Pyrmont Street | Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
TripAdvisor Autumn Offer!
Ranked #98 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Portland, Maine
“Good Deal in Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Whenever I stay in Sydney, I book at the Oaks Goldsbrough. It's a reasonably priced hotel that overlooks Darling Harbor. You can easily walk to plenty of restaurants and cafes. China Town is also nearby. The suites are clean, well-stocked, and roomy. Most importantly, the suites have a washer and dryer, which is convenient for someone like me that travels for long periods of time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your repeated visits. I am very happy to hear that you have had such pleasant experiences and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Thai first
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

What a great place to stay. We had a one bedroom apartment overlooking Darling Harbour. It has recently been refurbished with quality fittings. We had everything we could need and many extras like maid service with clean towels everyday. We also had a washing machine and tumble drier, iron etc so we could keep up to date with the laundry. In the kitchen we had a full fridge freezer and microwave with a full size cooker. All of it was high quality. The bathroom was good with a bath and shower. Things like coffee, tea, milk, shampoos etc were replenished everyday too. The apartments were just behind the Harbourside Centre at Darling Harbour and there was a walkway to the centre straight from the hotel. The only downside is that there are no safety do sit boxes so precious documents like passports etc have to be left in the apartment of taken with you all the time. Otherwise a great stay. We hope to come back someday!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and that the location and facilities were desirable for your needs while in Sydney. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartements is nice located very close to Darling Harbour. We stayed in apartment 659 for three nights, and we don´t have much to complain about.

Pros:
Great central location.
Two floors with a big main room with a very nice view.
Fast internet wi-fi available.
The main bedroom was very nice with a huge bed and great view.
Apartment was very clean and with all equipment necessary.
Helpful staff in the reception.
Swimming pool, gymnasium etc. available.

Cons:
The small bedroom had a view straight into the hall.
No balcony.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Thank you for your and the positive feedback regarding the location and the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Had relocated from Melbourne to Sydney and needed a serviced apartment whilst I found somewhere to live. Managed to get a great deal on a one bedroom apartment for the month.

Check in was friendly after you lugged your luggage up the stairs (this needs to be fixed with a small ramp). Headed up to level 9 to see my new "home" for the next month. The room had been recently refurbished. It had a nice view across Darling Harbour and the city skyline. The main room is a combined lounge/dining/kitchen which was just fine. The kitchen was showing its age a little but everything worked. There are also enough items to cook and serve with to make simple meals.

The bathroom is a decent size and includes a washing machine and dryer. Good pressure and hot water in the shower - always a plus. Towels are ok, some are nice and fluffy and others have seen their day.

Bedroom was quite small and not all that much storage or hanging space but I guess most guests are there only a few nights. Sheets were crisp and clean and pillows quite soft. Note that on a long term stay that the apartment is only serviced weekly.

I used the gym regularly and it has enough equipment to keep you entertained. The TV never worked the whole time I was there (should have been a simple fix I would have thought).

There are a couple of cafes on level two and there is a good IGA supermarket opposite the Novotel about 100 metres up the road. Access to Darling Harbour and the city was quick and easy.

They did have an issue with one lift whilst I was there and it was closed for about four days. It is amazing how much slowere getting about the hotel was with only two lifts.

Overall it was pretty good for what I wanted. I wouldn't choose this as a hotel stay for a couple of days but for a longer time it was good for me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities within the apartment. We are looking at upgrading the lifts to improve there overall efficiency. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. I will be sure to thank them for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Waikato
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Sydney where we stayed in two two-bedroom apartments (there were 7 of us) at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. This building has character and the apartments themselves are very spacious and very clean with good furnishings. I was told when booking the rooms that the whole building had been refurbished in January but the corridor (which is very unique) and bathrooms/kitchens were a little tired and definitely not refurbished - in fact they were the same as when I stayed about 6 years ago, and they were tired then (but still very clean). The location is fantastic and so handy to Darling Harbour, the Light Rail etc. The pool and gym are good too. One of our apartments was right on the end of the building up against the highway, however, it is double glazed so the traffic noise was not disturbing at all.

We did however, have two fire alarm incidents (one at midnight and the other at 9.00am in the morning). The midnight one was a little frustrating as after the initial fire alarm going off throughout the building telling us to wait for further instruction, there was no more communication for a further 15 minutes – a long time to wait when you don’t know if there is a fire or not, and are not sure whether to evacuate the building or not! Eventually we had to phone Reception to find out what was happening and were told that it was not a false alarm but ‘all under control now’ and that it was ‘safe’ to go back to bed. The entire building was then advised that it was a false alarm almost 10 minutes longer after this. The morning alarm had better and speedier communication. Apparently these fire alarm incidents are very common (two alarms last week too according to other guests) so be prepared.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and that the location and facilities were desirable for your needs while in Sydney. I thank you for your feedback regarding the Fire Alarms and to assure you strict review of the procedures has been implemented to ensure that instances such as these are not repeated. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the near future to show you that we can provide an efficient and enjoyable experience.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here first week in December. Were upgraded to the penthouse 2 bedroom apartment by very friendly and helpful staff. Views over Darling Harbour were excellent. Very close to the light rail stop and easy 5 minute walk to the ferries. We walked to the Fish Markets, Chinese Gardens, Paddy's markets, and the Powerhouse. All within 15 minutes from the Oaks. We went to the Lyric Theatre to see "Grease" and the cab cost $7.50 each way. Being a converted woolstore, the building has a certain "charm". Only downside we experienced was 2 fire alarms during the week. Racing down 13 flights of stairs made us wish we hadn't been upgraded to the penthouse. Good value due to its location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. I will be sure to pass those comments onto them and extend my thanks to them as well. Thank you for you helpful tips as I am sue other travellers will find it very helpful. I am sorry for the inconveniences caused as a result of the Fire Alarm. I am very pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Landsborough, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We recently stayed for our 3rd wedding anniversary from 10th Oct to 13th Oct. Upon check in was served by Jesse and we checked if the room had a view as we had specifically asked for a room with a view when we booked and payed, when we arrived the room after a very slow trip in the lift it looked very dated and the view was a construction site and a freeway, called reception, no answer so went down and was served up someone else, she advised our check in was correct and that was the room we paid for after explaining a couple of time she mentioned a surname which was nothing at all like ours and advised that was not my name, she then checked under the correct surname and advised that they had in fact booked us in the wrong room and supplied me with keys for the correct room but with no apology. The new room was suitable and similar to any other hotel room, the water pressure in the shower was very poor and the height of the shower head was just as bad unless your under 5 foot good luck! Upon checkout we were needing our bags stored as our flight was later that day and had to speak to 2 people at the front desk to find out what to do, neither of them very helpful or happy. The location is great and there is a covered bridge that takes you over the road to darling harbour safely. Darling Harbour is amazing and highly recommend dinner at Nicks Seafood!
Overall the rooms were decent and the location is great but unfortunately for me the customer service has left a lasting impression and I don't think I would stay again and we have stayed at other Oaks hotels before and had great experiences so it is a real shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view