“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

Save Saved
You added Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   243 Pyrmont Street | Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights & Save 10%!
Ranked #37 of 130 Specialty lodging in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here first week in December. Were upgraded to the penthouse 2 bedroom apartment by very friendly and helpful staff. Views over Darling Harbour were excellent. Very close to the light rail stop and easy 5 minute walk to the ferries. We walked to the Fish Markets, Chinese Gardens, Paddy's markets, and the Powerhouse. All within 15 minutes from the Oaks. We went to the Lyric Theatre to see "Grease" and the cab cost $7.50 each way. Being a converted woolstore, the building has a certain "charm". Only downside we experienced was 2 fire alarms during the week. Racing down 13 flights of stairs made us wish we hadn't been upgraded to the penthouse. Good value due to its location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. I will be sure to pass those comments onto them and extend my thanks to them as well. Thank you for you helpful tips as I am sue other travellers will find it very helpful. I am sorry for the inconveniences caused as a result of the Fire Alarm. I am very pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

1,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Thai first
Landsborough, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We recently stayed for our 3rd wedding anniversary from 10th Oct to 13th Oct. Upon check in was served by Jesse and we checked if the room had a view as we had specifically asked for a room with a view when we booked and payed, when we arrived the room after a very slow trip in the lift it looked very dated and the view was a construction site and a freeway, called reception, no answer so went down and was served up someone else, she advised our check in was correct and that was the room we paid for after explaining a couple of time she mentioned a surname which was nothing at all like ours and advised that was not my name, she then checked under the correct surname and advised that they had in fact booked us in the wrong room and supplied me with keys for the correct room but with no apology. The new room was suitable and similar to any other hotel room, the water pressure in the shower was very poor and the height of the shower head was just as bad unless your under 5 foot good luck! Upon checkout we were needing our bags stored as our flight was later that day and had to speak to 2 people at the front desk to find out what to do, neither of them very helpful or happy. The location is great and there is a covered bridge that takes you over the road to darling harbour safely. Darling Harbour is amazing and highly recommend dinner at Nicks Seafood!
Overall the rooms were decent and the location is great but unfortunately for me the customer service has left a lasting impression and I don't think I would stay again and we have stayed at other Oaks hotels before and had great experiences so it is a real shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location. Being an old wool store the layout and design of the building is very unique. I am sorry that the staff did not meet your expectations. Customer service is essential attribute of our business and I will be sure to have a word with the staff and remind them of its importance. Thank you once again.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Husband and I spend one week in the Oaks Goldsborough Apartments in a studio apartment on the 7th floor. Very sympathetically converted old wool store, with wonderfully high ceilings, big solid beams, and a great merge of the sense of history with modern conveniences. Bed advertised as Queen, but we are sure it was bigger, & was very comfortable. Room was light, airy, comfortable, with everything required to cater for ourselves, and close enough to the Darling Harbour shopping precinct that we could dine out if we chose to do so. Short walk to all the tourist locations we wanted to visit. Balcony allowed fresh air and sunshine, though the view of the carpark opposite was uninspiring. Our only complaint was that with only 3 lifts, one of which was out of order for the majority of our stay, there was a long wait for a lift, particularly in the morning. They opened the stairs so fitter residents could come and go that way, but I preferred to wait (and wait, and wait) for the lifts. Friendly, helpful staff. This place offered the best price available at the time we booked, and we were very happy with the result. Would be delighted to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the apartment and your stay with us. I appreciate you kind comments regarding the staff and will be sure to pass them on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Very noisy hotel. Every bedroom has a window (not double glazed) that opens on to the hallway for that floor, so you hear people coming and going from every floor all night. Walls and very thin. Every time the person above me walked my lights would rattle and could hear people sneeze next door. During my stay there were 6 fire alarms sounded and 1 complete evacuation. They were all false alarms and later found out there are because of extra sensitive fire alarms they had installed. One of the three lifts was broken for a while, so as well as signs stating this they also made announcements early in the morning over the "emergency system" tell everyone this.......repeatedly. My air con was also broken for over a month. It took two weeks and 8 phone calls for me to convince they that it was in fact broken. It took me getting the maintenance manager to stand on a chair and put his hand on the vent to convince him it was not working. Worst hotel i have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for post. I do apologise about the dissatisfaction regarding your stay. Please rest assured I have investigated your comments personally discussing them with the team. It is true that as the building has an open atrium and the original hardwood floor from the 1800’s, noise can travel between levels. We do try to monitor this by doing regular nightly patrols and having additional security on during the weekends. We also place extra signage at entry points to the building to ensure that guest is aware they are entering a quiet area and to be mindful of their voices.

We, as you are aware of the air conditioning issue within the apartment, which requires the replacement of this A/C unit. Our staff members did offer you the best possible solution which is a room move on three separate occasions’ however your choice was to remain in this unit. Given that guest comfort is our priority we were unable to reach to a resolution due to the fact we could not room move you on these three occasions.

The building fire alarms were triggered due to possible risks and not due to them being extra sensitive, all precautionary measures are taken to ensure all occupants safety at the Goldsbrough. I am sure you would appreciate this. The lift announcements made due the unforeseeable circumstance of 1 lift breaking down, the announcements were made during busy times to ensure every guest, resident, owner and tenant were made aware of the issue to plan exiting appropriately.

I thank you again for your feedback.
Geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here early December, good location, easy to get to Darling Harbour, staff are friendly, but it is really dusty and needs a paint. The bed is on wheels and when you move or roll over, it moves. Could have done with a sweep and mop whilst we stayed there, but overall okay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and facilities desirable for your leisure while in Sydney. I will be sure to pass on your nice comments regarding the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and quickly learned to add 15 minutes to my morning commute to avoid being stranded waiting for the very slow lifts to get out.

My room felt like a dungeon - it was cold and looked out onto a high-rise car park so I had to keep the blinds down the whole time to avoid being stared at, the noise from cars was very annoying also.

My bedroom window looked into the building - onto the main walkway - and I was constantly woken up by people walking outside my bedroom or coming back late from a night out and being very noisy.

On the plus side, the kitchen was very clean and modern, and the housekeeping staff did a good job. The location is good but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry that the overall standard did not meet your expectations. We are looking at upgrading the lifts to improve their overall efficiency. We are also in the process of refurbishing apartments to lift the overall standard within the rooms. Thank you for your comments about the Housekeeping staff. I hope that you have the opportunity to experience one of these rooms when you are next in Sydney.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is an amazing apartment building, the apartment we had was well equipped, and clean, they provided a fold up bed for our daughter.
We had a view over the harbour, its in easy walking distance of the Darling Harbour, but a fair walk to the Sydney Bridge and Opera house.

Room Tip: Don't ask for one with a balcony, ask for one with a view over Darling Harbour
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and that the location and facilities were desirable for your needs while in Sydney. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments? Share your experiences!