“Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment: A home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

Save Saved
You added Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   243 Pyrmont Street | Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights & Save 10%!
Ranked #38 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
“Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment: A home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment from 5 - 11 May 2011. My first three nights was sponsored as I won a prize of 3-nights free accommodation from a contest organised by Tourism New South Wales. I paid for the remaining three nights for my stay. I stayed in one of the Studio rooms with my mother.

Location is very accessible. Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment is within walking distance from the Convention Light Rail and Monorail station. It is within a stone-throw from the beautiful Darling Harbour and Sydney's Chinatown where shops still remain open after 5.30 p.m.

The location of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment is good for anyone who is agreeable with travelling by the Monorail and Light Rail. Otherwise, it would take about 10 minutes to stroll to the nearest Town Hall train station. Consider purchasing a 7-day Monorail and Light Rail combined ticket if you stay for about a week.

The Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment provides sauna, pool, spa and fitness facilities but I did not get to use any of these as I was happily exploring Sydney.

Guests who like historic buildings are likely to be delighted by the building's neo-classical facade like I did. I also like the interiors of the building, for its ironbark columns and tallowwood floors.

My room was serviced daily. I was happy that there was daily change of towels. Complimentary toiletries were provided. My accommodation package did not include breakfast. Thankfully, the room has full kitchen facilities with microwave, bread-toaster, and more. So I can have the pleasure to either enjoy preparing my own breakfast in the room or travel to the nearby food establishments for breakfast.

The room has full laundry facilities but I did not use it as I was occupied with exploring Sydney as a tourist.

Although my room did not face the Darling Harbour, I enjoyed the views of the interesting brick walls whenever I took a break at the balcony area. Then again, this could be my acquired taste of historic buildings.

Service was adequate. The staff allowed me to extend the check-out time by an hour upon request. Baggage storage services were also available for guests who came before the check-in time and for guests who would need to store their belongings after the check-out time. I think a fair tip would be most appreciated for the baggage storage services.

Please take note, as there is no ramp from the main entrance of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartment, guests will have to bear with carrying their luggage up a couple of flights of stairs to get to the main lobby. The lack of ramp did not bother me yet it may be an issue for some guests with very heavy luggage.

If you are looking for an affordable apartment to stay in Sydney with an accessible location, Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments is worth a consideration.

Many thanks again to Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments.

It is wonderful to know that we were able to play a part in making your holiday a memorable and enjoyable one and I shall pass your feedback on to the staff.

Please do stay again next time you are in the area – we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Thai first
Bega, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I don't usually stay in fancy hotels. Normally, I'm in a Formule One or a backpackers. However, I have stayed in the Goldsborough a few times, and I would say it offers excellent value for money. The rooms are extremely nice, and at a price that isn't exorbitant. I have no real complaints

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Vientiane, Laos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed for one night very last minute over easter. I was attracted to the reduced price on a search website I always use for hotels. The apartment was fully fitted with kitchen and washer/dryer. However on the 2nd floor where I stayed this is a main walk through from the link bridge to and from the car park and Darling Harbour. I was woken up at least 5 times until 3am from people walking past and shouting (rooms are on this path) or the neighbours. The rooms are paper thin and with wooden floors you get noise everywhere. Stay on a higher floor if you decide to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Many thanks for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough. It is disappointing to know that you felt some aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory. We always aim to provide a stay that is both enjoyable and exceeds guest expectations and we apologise that we did not achieve this during your stay. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future to experience the best that Oaks Goldsbrough has to offer.
Pluak Daeng, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel more then once and have always enjoyed it. If you are staying for pleasure it is a good place to be. Shopping mall with eateries 3 minutes away. Most attractions are within walking distance. Light and Mono rail are directly in front of the hotel. Both times I stayed there I have checked in the late afternoon and the staff was nice but quite busy. The hotel rooms have been nice. the first time I stayed on the 3rd floor and the second time on the 12th with own balcony. The rooms on the 3rd floor are a bit dark due to no direct sunlight. All rooms have a full functioning kitchen, washing machine, etc.
Both times I had the pleasure to be upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom. Therefore I have been able to enjoy the stay a bit more and had more the feeling of living in an apartment then in a hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Many thanks for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough. It is wonderful to hear that on both occasions you have stayed with us we have been able to make your stay enjoyable and able to upgrade you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon next time you are travelling to Sydney for business or pleasure.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed at the Oaks goldsbrough while in sydney for business. I understand the main factor for the hotel being booked was it is walking distance to the convention center. Location is great but thats about where it stops. We were staying in a ground floor one bedroom apartment which recieved no natural light which is quite a depressing thing to be honest. The apartment had a strange smell and decor was kind of creepy (art on walls). Water pressure was terrible for hot water in the shower. When we called reception a handman was sent very quickly, he banged around the hot water service for a bit and the pressure when up but was still below what I would call acceptable. The pressure continued to dip over the week and we just gave up in the end as getting someone to pick up the phone in reception was hit and miss. There really doesn't appear to be enough staff working. To avoid having to pay the cleaning staff penalty rates (I assume) over the easter weekend we were left a note saying to contact the reception if we need our room cleaned over the weekend, they made out in the letter this was for our privacy....not likely. All in all probably the worst accomidation I have had to stay at for a business trip, for the rate that was paid per night you can find better.... Oh beds are [--] too, I have the worst back now and still another 2 nights to go here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough. Please accept our apologies that your time with us did not meet your expectations. We apologise that our Maintenance team were unable to satisfactorily rectify the water pressure in the apartment during your stay. We will ensure this issue is followed up with our Maintenance Manager for further investigate and rectification. We do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.
wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed on the 13th floor (penthouse), 2 bedroom/bathroom slip level with views of the harbour. Kitchen more than provided eveything needed to cook with.
I budgeted for 'that little bit extra', wanted comfort, above average apartment, and got exactly that
Felt luxurious whilst very laid back and welcoming.
Will definitely return if/when possible.

It's across the road from Darling harbour, (caught ferry from here) mono rail just about on your doorstep.
Light rail as well, (2 stops to Paddy's market), takes you to central for trains.

Room Tip: Harbour view had us standing looking out the window for long periods (early morn/eve. Traffic noise...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Nuriootpa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This building was once a woollen mill and still looks like one. When I took the lift to the 2nd floor I thought I was in a warehouse and had pressed the wrong lift button. After a couple more attemps and help from an employee I realised I was on the correct "industrial unit" floor.

The apartment itself is very gloomy, with huge trees right outside the window blocking all natural light. Consequently the lights have to be on during the day and even they are "muted". Its like living in a cave.

Services are non-existent. The "compliment tray" consists of 4 tea bags and 4 sachets of coffee and sugar. No herbal tea, hot chocolate or biscuits. There is no room service, no takeaway menu, the cafe next door closes before 5 pm and the nearest grocery store is 4 streets away up a hill. At the very least I think that a "welcome pack" of bare essentials should be provided.

Only the free Sky channels are available on TV.

I should also warn guests that you have to carry your heavy luggage up steep steps without assistance and the check in time of 2 pm is strictly adhered to!

And t think that I pre-paid to gain the best rate for the priviledge of staying here. Incidentally this rate is practically the same average daily rate as I am paying to go on the 5* cruise liner I board next week. Mad isn't It?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments? Share your experiences!