“Good Location, Very noisy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

Save Saved
You added Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments to your Saves list
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   243 Pyrmont Street | Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights & Save 10%!
Ranked #37 of 130 Specialty lodging in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Good Location, Very noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed on level 9 for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom apartment. Everyone that walked past footsteps could be heard in the room as well as voices as the wooden floor was very noisy outside. If they carpeted it the problem would be solved. In the room we could hear the people in the next room. The room was run down and is in need of a make over. The only good thing about this place is the close proximity to Darling Harbour. I would not stay here again.

1,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Overall, we found the hotel very clean and in a fantastic location. The one complaint that we have, is that even though we paid for our whole stay upfront, they still took a $150 security deposit from our credit card .... we were not told this until we arrived. When we checked out, I asked about the security deposit being put back into our account.... and was told that it can take up to 10 days!!! I was so not impressed about that!!! What a shame that one little policy, spoiled the whole visit and for that reason alone, we won't be back. If they had been honest and upfront at the time of booking and payment, it would have been ok, so be aware!!

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

The photos on this site, are not the rooms, so don't be fooled by those. The rooms are very dated, cold (high ceilings) and the bathrooms are filthy. The shower was grotty and small. Our room looked right out into the carpark which was only a laneway wide. You couldn't have the curtains open or windows as the fumes from the carpark and also people looking in. HOWEVER, it was only $107 per night, cheap by Sydney standards. The rooms have thins walls so you can hear everything next door. We thought it was okay but we weren't hanging around the room either, it was only a place to sleep, and should be only considered as that. Their is a bus behind the hotel on the corner of harris st that takes you into the city for $2 which is pretty good. Take warm PJs as in winter months the room is cold and the blankets are thin. We didn't take a car but I'm told the parking is VERY expensive

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Oaksborough is great value for money. The rooms are clean and spacious. Great central location, just opposite monorail and train station, access to Darling Harbour, short walking distance to Casino.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

I arrive at the hotel and stand at the front desk for about 5mins, whilst the receptionists giggle and chat amongst themselves before someone finally realises there's someone waiting. After I'm given my key, I'm not given any directions at all to the room, just a piece of paper with "general hotel info"...after finally finding the room, i walk into the bedroom and discover blood stains on the floor, a broken lamp, and an extremely dusty wardrobe. Then as I enter the lounge room, the balcony door has been left open so the room is freezing. Also, there's 4 remotes on the table, non of them labelled as to what they do, so there I am trying to turn the television on, i eventually gave up and called reception, who said they'd send someone up to help me but no one ever came!! It was a 3 night stay for a business conference, so it would have been nice to go back to the hotel and relax on the couch with a bit of telly after a busy day. Luckily, I had my laptop with me but ended up spending in excess of $100 on internet because they charge ridiculously high prices, with most hotels providing free wireless these days, I was certainly very surprised to have to pay such a high rate for internet - and that was just the first night! Second day, I asked the receptionist to order me a cab, to which he pointed outside and said "there's a taxi rank outside, just get one there"..when i went outside though, there was no sign of any taxi rank and I had to walk to a main road and hail one myself... I WOULD NEVER COME BACK AGAIN AND DON"T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE. THE STAFF ARE TERRIBLE, THE ROOM WAS DISGUSTING AND DILAPIDATED. The only good thing was the location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
solihull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Very Basic - no sofa or comfortable chairs, Dull room overlooking car park. Landings ressembled a prison. Antique TV - will stay elsewhere next time we visit sydney

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I advised that we had a wheelchair person when booking but found to our horror that due to no parking at the front of the building and a one way street we initially had to park down the street in a no standing zone to check in. There were quite a few steps at the front of the building and no wheelchair access. Then the public carpark was some distance away and we had to drag our bags and push the wheelchair back to the hotel and manouvre up the steps. Up to the room and oh no! - the wheelchair barely fit through the door and down the narrow hallway where there were 3 steps inside the appartment! There was so much useless furniture in the room that we had hardly any room to move around and definitely not with a wheelchair. There were no pillows on the fold out couch and no facecloths. The room was quite dirty and eventually became something of a joke for us (laugh or cry!). My wheelchair bound friend was in tears and of course I felt considerably ripped off and upset as I had advised the staff member of our circumstances during booking. I went to see reception who were most unhelpful. After a considerable wait they could only offer the same type of room but with no steps. They then also told me that there was an overpass ramp from the carpark to the building - which I think they should tell ALL guests at checkin. We had nowhere else to go at this time of the day and a number of places that we tried were by now booked out (due to our requirements). I advised them that we would be leaving a day early due to the above and wanted that 1 day to be refunded to my account and they refused. It was eventually refunded after some heated discussions and some appalling statements by the reception clerk including"did the person doing the booking (at their end) actually state that the room DID NOT HAVE STEPS?" - ridiculous question when they had been told we had a wheelchair. It was close to the monorail which was great for the markets, restaurants, city etc but the service at Oaks Goldsbrough was the worst I have ever encountered. At no time did I see any staff member smile at any patrons which might just say it all. This place might be ok to stay at if you want covenience, don't have a wheelchair, don't mind the lack of cleanliness and next to zero service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments? Share your experiences!