“Very overpriced for what you get!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Australian Sunrise Lodge

You added Australian Sunrise Lodge to your Saves list
Australian Sunrise Lodge
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   485 King Street | Newton, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia   |
Ranked #47 of 64 Sydney B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Very overpriced for what you get!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night - stopping through Sydney to drive to the Blue Mountains. The pictures on the website make it look so lovely - in reality it's more like a dingy motel. No street signage so we drove past it 3 times before seeing where it was. Car park available is actually 1 block away (although it is locked/secure). It was clean, but just seems quite old and overpriced for what you get. Won't be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Aus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

My wife, teenage daughter and myself stayed here while up in Sydney for the comedy festival. It delivered what we wanted, a reasonable place to stay, smack in the centre of Newtown.

Cheap, but better than a back packers. Good friendly staff, obliging on our requests. Room was no great shakes, but clean and with comfy beds. As we were in the centre of the Newtown main drag some late night noise was to be expected , but was not in any way bad.

The handy parking lock up was better than leaving our car on the streets.

Some of the quibbles with the place in other reviews make you wonder if the reviewers thought they could get Ritz standard accommodation there for back packer level rates.

Idiots.

Great for a cheap stay in Sydney, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed at this place for one night and would never stay there again. To charge $119 for a room that is at best equivalent to a backpacker hostel room is outrageous. The photos on the internet site are very misleading and I booked the room on that basis thinking that is what the rooms look like. It turns out that is the foyer and has no bearing on what the rooms are like.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Cheap! Suit independent travellers who don't require hotel-style attentions. Pleasant reception & quite nice downstairs lounge area with the usual tourist info available. Best thing is obviously the location. King St still hangs on to its slightly bohemian-artsy vibe, lots of cafes, pubs, retro stuff, small shops selling one-off edgy items. Good transport. Rooms are ok- a bit cramped, a bit musty (though all that I saw had double opening doors that improved the air), bed a bit lumpy. Our room had an electric jug, microwave and a bar fridge, and we were given a small carton of milk at reception to accompany the tea & coffee supplied in the room. King St can be quite lively, if you are sensitive to noise request a room at the back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Stawell, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is its location, Kings St in Newtown, great shopping, restaurants and little bars and fun people watching, unfortuantley Australian Sunrise lodge is about the only accommodation around.
Ok its a 2 star hotel so your not expecting much but the $120 price tag for a twin room was a little rich. The main problem we had was we were staying at the front of the hotel, out window only had a blind with no curtains and a street light right outside. Could not understand why it was called the sunrise lodge as it was like daylight 24hours a day in this room. Only a fan so had to leave the widow open which had no fly screen. Very noisy as it faced out onto Kings st. We were to stay 3 nights we asked them to change rooms for our second night which they did. Room much quieter and darker but a lot smaller. The friend I was traveling with got her leg stuck between the two beds they were that close together. She does not have overly big legs. Oh and the Tv was chained to the wall which might say something about some of their clientele.
If your looking for cheap accommodation there is much better value around inner Sydney just not Newtown.
If staying make sure you are in one of the rooms facing of the main street.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed in the Sunrise Lodge over New Year.

Room very basic, no wardrobes or anywhere to hand clothes except 2 hangers on the back of the door. Nowhere to hang wet towels after a shower. Bedclothes not changed for the 6 nights.

Shower room very small and again very basic. Balcony provided however it looked over into a yard with bins (not very exciting).

Also quite close to the SYD airport flight path so sounded like a plane was going to land in the bathroom every morning.

Onto the good stuff.....it was very quiet (except for the planes) we had no bother the whole time we were there. It is very secure. The receptionist was lovely and very helpful. A lot of tourist quides and leaflets of things to do at reception. Internet connection also provided free of charge.

The area is amazing - King St has a variety of different restaurants serving all kinds of different foods. Bars, Clubs, Local Bars with 'live' bands. A very friendly area!

Close to Newtown Train Station making it very easy to get into the CBD.

Yes - I would go back and yes I probably would stay in the Sunrise Lodge, the good outweigh's the bad!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

I was hesitant about staying here as the reviews were not positive however, the location was great & the price very affordable.

After buzzing at the front door (cannot get into the building without a key) I was greeted within seconds by a lovely Asian woman who checked us straight in.

I booked a single room with ensuite for myself (min 2nite stay if you want an ensuite) & a double room with shared bathroom for my friend. In regards to her experience, she wasn't impressed with the shared bathroom (tiny tiny with not much room or privacy).

When I walked into my room (#18, 2 short flights of stairs) I was pleasantly surprised.
Very clean & tidy, shelves & rack so I could empty my suitcase. A small table & chairs, nice big bed & a rack with microwave, kettle & a small bar fridge. I also had a lovely small balcony.

My bathroom was simple & very clean.

I am a clean freak so I went over EVERYTHING with a cloth, did not find a piece or rubbish, hair, nothing.. I stripped my bed, again very clean & tidy however I still felt the need to use my own pillow case & sheet:-)

Very impressed with my experience & will definitely stay again especially in that room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Australian Sunrise Lodge? Share your experiences!