This hotel is bare bones and a little shabby, but it's a good deal if you're on a budget in the most expensive city I've ever been to. The staff were friendly and helpful (especially the lady who works on Tuesday mornings), the bed was fine (ask for extra pillows if you need them), the bathrooms were clean and the in-room mini-kitchen was convenient, especially since there's a full-size grocery store a block south. The Potts Point neighborhood is quiet and cute, although walking through seedy King's Cross to get to the closest train station wasn't always pleasant.
Temperature was our only real complaint. We stayed here in winter, and the bathrooms were quite cold, with unreliable hot water. I haven't been to Sydney in the summer, but I imagine this hotel might get pretty hot in January, since the only apparent cooling mechanism is a ceiling fan.
We got past it over the course of our four nights at the lodge, but we initially considered changing hotels, as our initial impression was that this might be a place you'd wind up in if you were, shall we say, down on your luck. The signs on the back of the room door and in the bathrooms that referred to guests as "tenants" and advised that clean linen would be distributed only upon payment of weekly "rent" were partly responsible for this feeling, and the dim fluorescent lighting and air-shaft window view did little to assuage it. However, the staff treated us as hotel guests and the lobby is full of tourism brochures. I got the feeling the Macleay Lodge was trying to shift its identity from sad-sack SRO to bargain tourist hotel, but it's not all the way there yet.
- Also Known As:
- Macleay Lodge Sydney Hotel Sydney
- Macleay Lodge Sydney Hotel
- Macleay Hotel Sydney
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macleay Lodge is a clean and comfortable guest house in Potts Point, Sydney. The lodge is well known for its clean and comfortable rooms for great value rates.With famous Sydney icons such as the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House within walking distance, Macleay Lodge is the perfect budget hotel from which to enjoy the exciting and vibrant city of Sydney.Macleay Lodge is located on Macleay Street in cosmopolitan Potts Point. With cafes, restaurants and boutique stores filling the sidewalk, there could not be a more exciting and unique place to spend your time while visiting Sydney. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HostelBookers and Venere so you can book your Macleay Lodge Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.