“My reference hotel in Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Medusa

Save Saved
You added Medusa to your Saves list
Medusa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Darlinghurst Road | Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Milan, Italy
“My reference hotel in Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Medusa is a lovely, cosy hotel, where guests feel at home as soon as they arrive. Staff were extremely friendly, polite and helpful, just ask them if you need good tips for a night out in the Darlinghurst area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

There isn't one thing that I would change in this Hotel. The service was warm, understated yet ever present. The design of the room was beautiful, everything looked liked a well maintained private home.The staff answered "yes" to every request we had and really listened to what we were asking for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Medusa for 3 nights at the end of January. The hotel is perfectly located to explore Sydney city centre (20mins walk) and other areas including Kings Cross and Surrey Hills.

We had a room on the 3rd floor which was quiet. The room was reasonably spacious with a large bathroom. Whislt the room was fine and very clean the decore was slightly basic.

Whilst there are no amenities in the hotel (no bar, pool, place to eat etc) the staff are very friendly and helpful.

The location makes easy walking to a lot of places to eat in Darlinghurst and Victoria Road. The bar opposite the hotel is pretty good.

The personal touches given during our stay were appreciated and the hotel is very clean.

I would recommend this hotel for people wanting a well located, clean and friendly hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very welcoming staff, handy location (but of course inner city so a little noise) - we had a great time and would go back for sure. Walked everywhere! Free pastries, apples and papers in the morning a nice touch.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't share a wall - nice and quiet this way. Also don't expect a...
Bendigo, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and i stayed at the Medusa for one night and felt that apart from the location it had very little going for it. I have read about the excellent service in other reviews, those staff must have bee on a break because we were never made to feel welcome, the staf were friendly just not to us. Our room was spacious but still just a room, the exhaust fan cover in the bathroom was growing things and all the louvre shutters are fine but a dust trap. There is 24 hour service but you have to ring someone to come o reception, there was a sign stating they would be back in flash, but they only came when we got tired of waiting and rang, again.The hotel is in a great location, easy walking distance to the CBD and close to lots of restaurants.
In our opinion the hotel does not represent good value for money and we won't be returning.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Having been travelling to Sydney in November 2012, I had the privilege to stay at the Medusa Hotel in Darlinghurst. I was quite impressed by the outstanding welcome and sense of arrival and customer service from the team.The beautiful decoration of the hotel, its reception and the rooms add to the vibe.
Being a frequent traveller, I stay at various hotels but the Medusa hotel and its concept is quite unique due to personalized and dedicated service.
Sitting in the courtyard, reading the newspapers and sipping Italian coffee from nearby Bunker cafe is a wonderful experience.
Sydney is a great city and the knowledge from the team is immense in relation to cultural events such as exhibitions, restaurants and places of interest. During my stay, I was recommended to visit the Museum of NSW, to see the Francis Bacon exhibition - truly extraordinary paintings.
My experience of Sydney has been remarkable and unforgettable mainly due to the marvelous time spent at the Medusa hotel because the recommendations. I have really enjoyed my stay and I can't wait for my next trip there - and to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I had a terrible experience at the Medusa. The walls are paper thin and due to some noisy drunken neighbours coming in at strange hours both nights we managed to get very little sleep. The traffic noise is also very audible and event the airconditioner clanking on and off was noisy. I would not recommend this hotel for any light sleepers out there.
The rooms are also tiny - we were trying to get ready for a wedding and we were stepping on each other the whole time. I found the photos on the website quite misleading in this respect.

The location is good for cafes and restaurants.

Room Tip: Do not take room 216!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWillox, Public Relations Manager at Medusa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are truly apoligetic that your stay was not perfect. Last weekend, one of Sydney's largest music festivals was held, 'Stereo Sonic' - a huge dance party. We may have had some guests attending this event that evening - and if so would have arrived back at the hotel late - I'm assuming? It is very unusual we have disrespectful guests, however this must have been the case last weekend. We have 24 hour reception who can sort out these issues if notified and can change rooms if available. The building was built in 1900 and the walls are very thick and solid, however in this case it seems you were troubled by a neighbouring room that may have had the door open. Annoying. We pride ourselves on our good value smaller rooms, however we have three categories of rooms which vary in size, the Premium Deluxe or Grand Rooms may have suited your wedding preparations better. Alternatively we have some very private apartments in our accommodation stable that offer more flexibility if you require more space. They are close by and also enjoy the proximity to restaurants and cafes. We value our guests feed back and we hope you will revisit the hotel again as that disturbance was very unusual. As you may have read by past reviews, the majority of guests have had a peaceful and lovely stay at Medusa. Thank you once again.

Been to Medusa? Share your experiences!