“Unforgettable Medusa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medusa

You added Medusa to your Saves list
Medusa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Darlinghurst Road | Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #17 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Barcelona, Spain
“Unforgettable Medusa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Having been travelling to Sydney in November 2012, I had the privilege to stay at the Medusa Hotel in Darlinghurst. I was quite impressed by the outstanding welcome and sense of arrival and customer service from the team.The beautiful decoration of the hotel, its reception and the rooms add to the vibe.
Being a frequent traveller, I stay at various hotels but the Medusa hotel and its concept is quite unique due to personalized and dedicated service.
Sitting in the courtyard, reading the newspapers and sipping Italian coffee from nearby Bunker cafe is a wonderful experience.
Sydney is a great city and the knowledge from the team is immense in relation to cultural events such as exhibitions, restaurants and places of interest. During my stay, I was recommended to visit the Museum of NSW, to see the Francis Bacon exhibition - truly extraordinary paintings.
My experience of Sydney has been remarkable and unforgettable mainly due to the marvelous time spent at the Medusa hotel because the recommendations. I have really enjoyed my stay and I can't wait for my next trip there - and to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I had a terrible experience at the Medusa. The walls are paper thin and due to some noisy drunken neighbours coming in at strange hours both nights we managed to get very little sleep. The traffic noise is also very audible and event the airconditioner clanking on and off was noisy. I would not recommend this hotel for any light sleepers out there.
The rooms are also tiny - we were trying to get ready for a wedding and we were stepping on each other the whole time. I found the photos on the website quite misleading in this respect.

The location is good for cafes and restaurants.

Room Tip: Do not take room 216!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NickWillox, Public Relations Manager at Medusa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are truly apoligetic that your stay was not perfect. Last weekend, one of Sydney's largest music festivals was held, 'Stereo Sonic' - a huge dance party. We may have had some guests attending this event that evening - and if so would have arrived back at the hotel late - I'm assuming? It is very unusual we have disrespectful guests, however this must have been the case last weekend. We have 24 hour reception who can sort out these issues if notified and can change rooms if available. The building was built in 1900 and the walls are very thick and solid, however in this case it seems you were troubled by a neighbouring room that may have had the door open. Annoying. We pride ourselves on our good value smaller rooms, however we have three categories of rooms which vary in size, the Premium Deluxe or Grand Rooms may have suited your wedding preparations better. Alternatively we have some very private apartments in our accommodation stable that offer more flexibility if you require more space. They are close by and also enjoy the proximity to restaurants and cafes. We value our guests feed back and we hope you will revisit the hotel again as that disturbance was very unusual. As you may have read by past reviews, the majority of guests have had a peaceful and lovely stay at Medusa. Thank you once again.
Melbourne, Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed one night when on business. I had one of the rooms out the back overlooking the terrace and pond. Room was well appointed but small. Bathroom was v small, but strangely had an excellent sized shower. This set up worked for me but would not have suited me if I'd have been a couple..the bathroom was just too small. Location is brilliant, step outside and the area abounds with great cafe's and bars. Taxi's readily available off the street out front. Value was v good at <$200/night. Staff were excellent. So overall, I'll definitely be back when on business in Sydney...I would want to see a bigger room if my wife was with me.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The personal service that a guest receives here is extraordinary. I felt so taken care of and felt I had an excellent refuge after a day of meetings. It was perfectly located and I could walk to anywhere I needed to go and was a few short steps to excellent coffee, wine and restaurants.

The insight that the staff has about the city and how to best navigate it cannot be beat. They are like your personal tour guides and are full of practical information and lesser known tips.

It was an excellent break from large, anonymous hotels; and truly made my Sydney stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting this amazing boutique hotel back in September and my friend and I had such a wonderful experience. While I have the opportunity to stay in big box chain hotels frequently due to business travel, I love any opportunity I can to get a taste of the local flavor of a city by staying in something more unique. This specific property exceeded all of my expectations and I seriously felt like family for a couple of days. I even had a little freak out session when I was checking in at the Sydney airport to fly to India and realized I had forgot my camera in my room. Not only did the gentleman from the hotel run up to the room I checked out of retrieve it immediately upon calling them from the airport, but they mailed it to me in New Delhi with no questions asked. I would highly recommend staying in this hotel when traveling to Sydney because it's location is to die for, the staff is amazing and the experience is better than anything you could ask for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here with my sister in a room that looked out on the little courtyard and lap pool. We adored the quirky style and renovated beauty of the hotel. But what we really loved was how considerate and kind the staff were.

Things like the tea & coffee provided were much higher quality than you usually expect in a hotel room. We were provided with a small carton of milk instead of those little plastic squeezy things. I called reception to ask if there were any kind of continental breakfast. We were told there was not, but they went across the street to a cafe and got some freshly baked muffins, and brought them to our door.

Customer service is unparalleled, the location is central yet not loud. I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Medusa was recommended and booked by a business I was visiting in Sydney. I checked it out online before and it certainly looked good. On arrival I discovered that the photos on the Internet were a few years old but the place was still looking good despite some threadbare carpet spots on the stairs - it will need an upgrade in the next 1 to 2 years in order to stay classified as "boutique with no stone left unturned". My room was tiny, awkwardly firmished, and the bathroom even tinier with an old shower curtain (haven't seen one of those in a hotel in decades). The bed was too soft and the pillows even softer. But the worst was the ancient air conditioning unit that made whooshing noises every 20 minutes throughout the night, despite the unit in my room being turned off. I have experienced this in other hotels and it's apparently the way aircon was sometimes installed years ago and requires a complete stripping and replacement of the aircon system throughout the hotel. So the fact there was no traffic noise was unfortunately spoiled. I had an important meeting the next day and only got a few hours of disjointed sleep. There is no breakfast onsite. They have to get it in from over the road. Staff were top rate, friendly and helpful and really made the difference for me. I guess some people would find it fantastic but it wasn't my idea of luxury or "boutique"

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business