“Wonderful, Warm and Cozy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medusa

You added Medusa to your Saves list
Medusa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   267 Darlinghurst Road | Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful, Warm and Cozy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The personal service that a guest receives here is extraordinary. I felt so taken care of and felt I had an excellent refuge after a day of meetings. It was perfectly located and I could walk to anywhere I needed to go and was a few short steps to excellent coffee, wine and restaurants.

The insight that the staff has about the city and how to best navigate it cannot be beat. They are like your personal tour guides and are full of practical information and lesser known tips.

It was an excellent break from large, anonymous hotels; and truly made my Sydney stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting this amazing boutique hotel back in September and my friend and I had such a wonderful experience. While I have the opportunity to stay in big box chain hotels frequently due to business travel, I love any opportunity I can to get a taste of the local flavor of a city by staying in something more unique. This specific property exceeded all of my expectations and I seriously felt like family for a couple of days. I even had a little freak out session when I was checking in at the Sydney airport to fly to India and realized I had forgot my camera in my room. Not only did the gentleman from the hotel run up to the room I checked out of retrieve it immediately upon calling them from the airport, but they mailed it to me in New Delhi with no questions asked. I would highly recommend staying in this hotel when traveling to Sydney because it's location is to die for, the staff is amazing and the experience is better than anything you could ask for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here with my sister in a room that looked out on the little courtyard and lap pool. We adored the quirky style and renovated beauty of the hotel. But what we really loved was how considerate and kind the staff were.

Things like the tea & coffee provided were much higher quality than you usually expect in a hotel room. We were provided with a small carton of milk instead of those little plastic squeezy things. I called reception to ask if there were any kind of continental breakfast. We were told there was not, but they went across the street to a cafe and got some freshly baked muffins, and brought them to our door.

Customer service is unparalleled, the location is central yet not loud. I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Medusa was recommended and booked by a business I was visiting in Sydney. I checked it out online before and it certainly looked good. On arrival I discovered that the photos on the Internet were a few years old but the place was still looking good despite some threadbare carpet spots on the stairs - it will need an upgrade in the next 1 to 2 years in order to stay classified as "boutique with no stone left unturned". My room was tiny, awkwardly firmished, and the bathroom even tinier with an old shower curtain (haven't seen one of those in a hotel in decades). The bed was too soft and the pillows even softer. But the worst was the ancient air conditioning unit that made whooshing noises every 20 minutes throughout the night, despite the unit in my room being turned off. I have experienced this in other hotels and it's apparently the way aircon was sometimes installed years ago and requires a complete stripping and replacement of the aircon system throughout the hotel. So the fact there was no traffic noise was unfortunately spoiled. I had an important meeting the next day and only got a few hours of disjointed sleep. There is no breakfast onsite. They have to get it in from over the road. Staff were top rate, friendly and helpful and really made the difference for me. I guess some people would find it fantastic but it wasn't my idea of luxury or "boutique"

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Komarno, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Traveled from New Orleans to Brisbane, then to Sydney. This place felt like home! The Victorian architecture made me feel as if I were back in NOLA (New Orleans, LA)! This architecture style creates a wonderful 17 room boutique hotel! Whomever you check in with will take care of you and any needs that you may have. Throughout our trip Luke and Jess made thoughtful suggestions on places to see, things to do, and dining a plenty! These guys can help in any way imaginable! Medusa is a great place for a quiet romantic stay in a very historic neighborhood. Shopping, dining, and all sorts of things to do are just walks away! I definitely recommend and when I return to Sydney this is where I will be staying!

Our Grand Room was at the top of the stairs on the third floor. It was very spacious with 2 locations for clothing storage. There was a very nice breakfast nook with shutters that we left open. The bathroom was small but it worked.

Room Tip: Grand Room was very enjoyable!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a colourful and quirky boutique hotel located in the bohemian part of Sydney with plenty of restaurants and nightlife nearby. Hotel is in an old terrace house, but has been expertly renovated with avant-garde furnishings. Staff were helpful. I stayed there while transiting Sydney for an international flight. Renovated properties do of course bring a few quirks. Expect to carry your bags up external and internal staircases. If you have a lot of them, choose your room carefully, because some are quite small. Heating was also a bit oppressive for the mild Sydney winter.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Everything about The Medusa is lovely; the beautiful pink-ochre exterior of the mansion, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, especially Luke, the beautifully decorated rooms, and the sound of the water feature in the courtyard. Despite the smallness of our room, the bed was comfortable, the heating was perfect and the shower a good strength. The hotel is within easy walking distance of restaurants, boutiques, and many wonderful cafes. Despite its proximity to a busy area, the room was very quiet and we slept soundly. We would have liked to have a little more cupboard space but all in all it was a most enjoyable stay, I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Medusa? Share your experiences!