“Not what I expected...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels

You added Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels to your Saves list
Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   631 - 635 George St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #77 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Boulder
“Not what I expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

I found this hotel website through other links to Sydney tourism. Looked nice and the location seemed ideal (easy walking distance to all of the sites). When I got there, it seemed more like a youth hostel of sorts? Not what I expected. Rooms were small, but okay, and I did not notice noise that kept me awake. But if I wanted a nightstand lamp, I had to go ask for one. And if I wanted a blanket for the bed? I had to go ask for one. The staff was very pleasant, and I did feel safe at the hotel and in that area of Sydney.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — felt like a youth hostel
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to get a hotel close to George St., not far from Hyde park... that way everything is in walking distance
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

Rooms are very small and are quite noisy (we were at the back of the hotel too) Didnt feel that safe coming and going from the hotel at night, would've have been better to haved stayed somewhere closer in for a few extra dollars.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

My Husband and i decided that we were going to take a holiday to Sydeny before the birth of our first child.
We went to our Travel Agent and they did the whole booking for us we only had to choose the hotel that we wanted to stay in. They showed us a broucher on the Pensione Hotel and we thought that it was the perfect.

We arrived at the hotel around 12.30pm. We were able to go strait in to our room, this was great as we were told check in was 2.00pm. The rooms were simple and clean,the bathroom had large shower.

When it came to finding great places to eat the staff were the people to talk to, they told us all about the great places in sydeny. They arrange Tours to the blue Mountains and even gave us free drink voucher for the bar down stairs.

I Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making our visit to Sydney a one to remeber

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

Nice hotel on the whole. Rooms are a little small but clean. Simple and nice. No frills. Location good but need to walk a bit to the train stations. Good value.

Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

I stayed at the Pensione for a week recently, choosing it because because it could accomodate me and my family when a lot hotels in the city just don't have the rooms to sleep a couple and 3 children, and the kids loved climbing into bunks each night!

Another major factor in choosing the hotel was the price, was really suprised to find out that I could get a room for all 5 of us for about 90 pounds a night, such good value for sydney, in fact I struggled to find anything as reasonable anywhere else on our trip.

Unfortunately, we arrived in Sydney aparently during some of the worst weather they had had in years. Luckily the people on the reception were always very helpful in giving us lots of suggestions on places to visit on rainy days, and plenty for when the sun came back out too.

I really liked the the layout of the rooms and hotel in general, the hotel looks old from the outside but inside the rooms are all newly refurbished and had all the facilities we needed. There was also some nice communal areas where we were able to make some lunch and surf the net. I really liked the old staircase that descended into a shopping arcade and down into chinatown, we thought the location was great, darling harbour with it's quality aquarium so close and only 25 mins walk to the Opera House was not even far for our 4year old!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL if you are planning to sleep while you are in Sydney. Whatever time of day you are planning to catch some ZZZzzzzs you can count on the noise from the traffic outside making this an impossible task. The rooms look totally different in reality to how they are shown on the web site – small and best described as a glorified backpackers. Attempts were made to rip us off with an $80 smoking in the room charge – we were not and had to bring the guy from the front desk up to our room to sniff the place out to prove our point. The fine was dropped as a result.

Following a second night of attempted sleep, in the morning we tried to shower – no towels were in our room. We were consequently late for our check out (11am) and were charged a late check out fee for our troubles. Also if you plan to leave your luggage here once you have checked out, you can expect to pay for that privilege also!

This hotel is convenient for Darling Harbour, but you can expect a 30 minute walk if you want to visit the Opera House/Circular Key.

We won’t be staying here again – and recommend that you don’t either!

• Stayed May 2006
, Marketing Executive at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 14, 2006
Our guests are so important to us and we apologise for any inconvenience to your stay at our hotel. As our hotel is located in Sydney’s most central district, on the cities most prime avenue, there is a small degree of traffic and noise that emanates from such a central location. We only have a few rooms facing George Street - the majority of the rooms face the back of the house and is therefore noise free. The design of our rooms are contemporary combined with original features having budget conscious corporate and leisure travellers in mind with value for money being our prime consideration.

In regards to the “smoking in room” charge, our hotel is a non-smoking property and we believe that the rooms should stay smoke free to provide guests with a clean, comfortable and healthy hotel stay. We also have designated areas within the premises for those people wanting to smoke. And we more than apologise if we made a mistake in your particular case.

The Pensione Hotel runs on 95% occupancy, which means we have to be very precise with check out times to provide the incoming guest with their room as soon as possible. We are more than happy to organize a late check out if required. I hope we have the chance of welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel - we have so many fantastic and noise free rooms.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

It is hard to remember the last time I felt compelled to actually write something good down about a business - usually I tend to do it when I have something bad to say. This hotel has the best service I have encountered in a long time. Whether it be giving you advice on what to see or how to get some where - ALL OF THE STAFF - are willing to offer you assistance.

This was our first trip to Sydney and getting on in age I like to plan things down to the most minute detail. We constantly we at the reception desk asking questions, my wife said I was pestering the staff but not once did I get the impression that I was imposing.

On arriving back into the hotel each day we were always greeted with questions about how our day was and this was a fantastic way to share our experiences. In fact the staff were so great we had to take photos to take home and show the family and put in the album as these lovely young people really did deserve to be remembered as part of our holiday.

Don't worry about the hotel - its clean and central. The staff are what will make your stay.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!