“Worst experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel ibis budget Sydney East

You added Hotel ibis budget Sydney East to your Saves list
Hotel ibis budget Sydney East
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 - 201 Williams Street | Kings Cross, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Formerly Formule 1 Sydney East)   |
Ranked #136 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
“Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My family and myself was looking for a place to crash but when we got there, there was no secure parking available and after driving around for hours to find a parking close enough got 3 little children the guy at reception told us that we can use another parking lot only 15 minutes away. When we enter the room it was dirty and you could smell sigarette smoke in the linen and room my husband went to fetch some room freshner in the car to make it livable. With only 2 hours of sleep that night we decided we wont be able to make it another night so my husband went to reception just after 6 asking for our money back for the second night because the road were to busy and none of my kids could sleep the night before snd there was also alot op people speeding throughout the night. Hotel guests were also making alot of noise after being out that night, this place will never see me again nor will I ever recommend this hotel. Not worth a one star at all! At least we got our money back.

• Stayed September 2012
Ajith R, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sydney East, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Dortjie1
Firstly our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during your short stay at the hotel. It was a very busy week end & we are sorry that our car park was full athe time you arrived & our suggestions on alternate parking arrangements did not meet with your demands. We could have certainly made arrangements to reserve a space for you for the second night to make life easier for you with the kids.We were dosapponted to hear about the smoke smell in your room, since our hotel is totally non smoking & we do advise all guests of same & request full compliance. However it seems that the prevoius guest had smoked in the room & the smell to still lenger around, after it had been cleaned by our housekeeping staff. If this had been brought to our notice, we would have been only too happy to move you to another room. We would follow up furher with our housekeeping staff & once again apologise for same. All our family room are popular with most guests due to the views of the Harbour Bridge & Opera House. However a light sleeper will find it noisey at times due to the heavt traffic althoug the windows are double glazed. The rooms on Premier Lane are exteremely quiet & we do offer this as an alternative in such situations, depending on the bedding type required.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Berowra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was a fantastic hotel to stay at after a big night out. Its close proximity to all the clubs in the cross was amazing and it was so easy to enter and exit the hotel, as well as get a good sleep in. It was very clean and the staff were lovely. I definitely think we got great value for money and will be staying there again on our next night out!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ajith R, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sydney East, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear amp343,

Many Thanks for your feedback. We are happy that you had an enjoyable stay & Hoping to welcome you back again in the near future.
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked this hotel on the basis of its convenient location and cheap price for three people. It was in poor condition compared to the other Formule 1 hotels I've stayed in (such as Paris, France). The ensuite was very small with no room to put toiletries/clothes, also the ensuite had hair from the last customer.The room itself desperately needed a paint job and replace the missing skirting board. Also, the bed sheets had orange stains on them (vomit perhaps?). The heating/air-conditioning didn't work, the windows didn't open. The beds were uncomfortable (but I was expecting that) and it was by a busy road so it got quite noisy at night. Also, we booked through Formule 1's website and the first time it said it had been unsuccessful because there were no more rooms and hadn't charged my card so I went through the website again and then... I got two confirmation emails so I'd been charged twice. . So I called up and they said no problem we'll sort it out when you got here which they did. It had a spacious room a double bed and a bunk bed (so sleeping room for four people even though there was only 3 people). It was a very convenient location with access to many cheap restaurants. The staff downstairs were really friendly and efficient. So I'd recommend it too anyone on a very tight budget with multiple people but if you are bothered by an unclean room then not the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ajith R, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sydney East, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear SteloTheTypo,
Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay. I was disappointed to read about the issues you experienced in regards to the maintenance and cleanliness of your guest room. Please rest assured that we do have a preventative maintenance program in place and in this, have included additional attention to air-conditioning and in-room painting.
We are also continuously working with our housekeeping team to increase the standard of cleanliness of our guest rooms.
I will certainly pass on your positive comments about our reception team and am sure they will be much appreciated.
Again, thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Australia.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed with Canberra Wanderer 74 the night before the City 2 Surf fun run. Our room was the standard single bunk over a double bed but I was interested to see this property didn't have the modular capsule type bathrooms. I found this gave you more room in the shower and no problem with things getting wet if you use the closed toilet seat. Lovely breakfast room overlooking William Street with an outdoor area as well. Fascinating people watching as the thousands of participants stream past for hours. My brother was back from Bondi before the final entrants had entered the tunnel. Easy walk to Kings Cross station for transport to City and walking distance to Hyde Park. There are also numerous car and campervan rental locations nearby. We paid less than the advertised price of $229 for a Saturday night.

Room Tip: William St could be busy (it was closed most of the time we were there) so if noise is an issue you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jaybee1965,
Thank you for submitting a review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will certainly share this with our team.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the functionality of the room, our breakfast offering and the proximity to Sydney CBD and transport options. Please rest assured that all our windows are double glazed, which limit noise levels in our rooms on the William Street side even with traffic.
Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon.
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here as a family in two rooms for one night and our son participated in the City to Surf 2012. It was convenient for him to get to the starting line at an early hour and for us to watch either from a front window in one unit overlooking Williams Street or simply going outside and up to the top of the tunnel to witness the mass of bodies streaming up Williams Street and through the tunnel.

The accomodation was comfortable, good shower and TV and the back room was quite, except for some idiot who obviously lost his way and banged on our door at 4am thinking it was his room.

There is a breakfast facility but didn't avail ourselves of it.

Steep stairs to enter from Williams Street however there is a back entrance which is more friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on William Street may be noisier than those at the back of the building. Didn't get a repo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for the 3 nights we were in Sydney, as we are A/Club members of the Accor hotels group.
Not at all what we expected as an Acoor hotel.
- Had to change rooms 3 times in order to finally get a decent room!
- first night they put us in a handicap room (eventhough neither one of us is a handicap) by the main road. Did not sleep the whole night with the traffic noise. Asked to be moved the next day .
- All rooms have no night stands,no closets, no phone, nowhere to place your luggage.
- We had to keep our luggage open on the floor, as no closets, cabinets or drawer anywhere in the room.
- you get 1 towel and 1 tiny barsoap per person. No shampoo, no hand towels, no tissues.
- The shower has a curtain and is open in the bathroom, so everything gets wet when you take a shower!
- I believe beds must have had bedbugs, as my husband and I ended up with bites on our bodies in the morning.
- The breakfast wich we paid extra for, was: toast, cereal, yoghurt (not every day) and coffee from a machine!....that's it, for 9 australian dollars a person.
-When we asked to have the points added to our Accor account, they said they don't take the A/Club card....!!
All in all, very disappointed with what was listed as a 3 star hotel. I would give it 1 star!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Hi. I was quite happy with my stay at F1, Sydney East. It was my first time in Australia, so I did not know anything about Sydney or the area. It was nice walking distance from Opera house, with some nice scenery along the way with lovely parks, Sydney sky tower etc.

The hotel itself was nothing luxury, but clean, quite and met my expectations for a good nights rest. Breakfast for $7 was good too.

Will visit again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel ibis budget Sydney East? Share your experiences!