“Despana, Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas
Sydney
“Despana, Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

After trying many tapas (inspired) restaurants, it is nice to find tapas, that is genuine, authentic and not pretentious. The sangria by the jug was really good; fruity, not bitter and down right morish. Luckily the tapas came quickly and we were soon enjoying, delicious squid, mushrooms and very very tasty lamb kebabs, anyone who eats here (who isnt vegan or vego or non lamb eater) needs to try the lamb kebabs, I cannot even explain how good the kebabs were. We also shared a paella, not the best paella for me (loaded with paprika). When we go there again (because we will be back) we have agreed that we will order more of the tapas (and possibly more servings of the lamb or chicken kebabs). The atmosphere was intimate, but vibrant, service was impeccable. Overall a very very enjoyable evening.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Traditional Tapa's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Despana has a nice feel to it, the decor is fresh & modern, great friendly service & very good food. I had croquettes, chicken skewers & salt cod fritters- all excellent. I also had the seafood paella, it wasn't the best I've had but it was still good. For desert I had the churros- perfect!
The wine list was good- a variety of Spanish, South American & Australian, however I think that the two glasses I had (by the glass) had been open a bit too long.
Definitely recommend dining here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Dined here after reading a piece in the Sydney morning herald on the top 5 tapas restaurants in Sydney. Having eaten at 2 of the top 5 already, we thought we'd try Despaña, and we weren't disappointed. Delicious food, friendly staff and very reasonably priced. We'll be back regularly

• Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Sydney's BEST Tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have now found my new favourite Sydney restaurant !!!! My family and I love Spanish food and this is the best example of tapas outside of Barcelona (...Bellota in Auckland is a close second). There are many Spanish restaurants in Glebe now. Some good, some OK, and a couple that are just plain awful. Despana blows all of these out of the water and sets the standard very high for all other others to follow. Despana serves up good honest tapas with amazing attention to culinary detail. Amazing flavours and textures in every dish. We ordered 5 tapas between the four of us along with Catalin cream and churos to round off the night. Every dish was outstanding and the cost is very reasonable. The staff are great and made us feel very welcome. We will be back and plan on becoming regulars at Despana :-)

• Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Bought living social vouchers . Two tapas . Paella. Sangria. Could not fault amazing food and service . Added churros. What a night. highly recommend will be back for sure!!!!

• Visited May 2013