“This Gelato is to die for!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 26 Ice Cream in Sydney
Cuisines: Italian, Ice Cream
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Coffee & Tea, Late Night
Description: Famous for all natural ingredients, freshness, purity and intense flavours, RivaReno contains no hydrogenated fat, preservatives, colours or flavours. Gelato is made in small batches several times a day to ensure ultra-freshness in the in-store lab. Gelato is stored in traditional Italian pozzetti (cylindrical containers) deep inside the counter, avoiding exposure to air for better conservation.
“This Gelato is to die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I am crazy about gelato, and finally a friend told me about Rivareno. Never had I had such incredible gelato. The texture is so smooth and velvety, each flavour tastes exactly how it should (because they use real ingredients, no fake flavourings or colours or gimmicks).
Definitely worth a try, but warning: it is impossible to stop at one scoop!!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“This is the best you will ever try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My friend had been talking about this place for ages so I tried it for the first time last week! Now I understand why she's been going on about it! The ricotta and fig flavour which i think is this month's special was amazing. I also tried two other flavours - the New York-New York which has pecans in it and Baci, which tastes like Nutella only better. I am now totally converted and can never go back to Messina. Sorry Messina.

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Never had better gelato anywhere!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is QUALITY and not just a FAD - I've never had better anywhere in Australia. This is my favourite dessert place ever. It cannot be compared to artificially flavoured, preservative and sweetener laden rubbish people called "wonderful". Having worked in the food/nutrition industry for over 30 years, I am very aware of quality products and this place ticks all the boxes.Check the menu board for full information about the products. Seeing the area where all products are produced under full view shows me there is no fear on letting everyone view what goes into the products and how the are made. Whenever I eat anywhere within about 5km of this place, I take my friends (local, interstate and international) here for dessert. RivaReno is much better value (less than $6) and far more enjoyable than the over-rated restaurant desserts usually costing $12-18.00. Spoil yourself and your friends with just one visit.....bet you'll all back (but not as much as me!!!)

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Not amazing ice cream”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was here on their opening day, so perhaps it has changed since then but the quality of the ice cream didn't change my life. The place looks nice, but the ice cream is hidden behind the counter where the customers don't see it. Then there was the ice cream itself. I got it for free as they had a promotion on their first day. i didn't finish it... didn't change my life

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
RivaRenoGelatoSyd, Owner at RivaReno Gelato Darlinghurst, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Diego97,
We are really disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. We would like to address some of your concerns.
Firstly, in relation to why you cannot see the gelato:
RivaReno uses a system called "pozzetti" to preserve the gelato. This is the traditional italian way of storing the gelato. Any serious gelateria in Italy uses this system. However, please note that gelato shops in tourist traps do not. Therefore, we always say when going to Italy, look for these, as you know that they take the gelato seriously when they use this system, just as we do.

What this refrigeration system does is keep the gelato at the perfect temperature; not too cold, so that the flavours are more intense; also it gives the gelato a creamy, soft texture which we are famous for. It is more hygienic, and as our gelato is very natural with no preservatives, it helps to better preserve the gelato. Basically, in simple terms, since the gelato is at its best the moment it comes out of the gelato machine, the 'pozzetti' help to preserve it in this state.

RivaReno uses strict quality controls to ensure that the gelato is always fantastic. Your comment about the gelato is highly unusual, as normally people who try our gelato, especially for the first time, are amazed by it. So perhaps there was some unknown reason why you did not enjoy it that day. For this reason, we invite you to come back in or call us on 9356 2669, and please leave your details, so we can get in touch with you. We would love to turn your experience into a positive one, and explain a little bit more about us, and what we do, and why we do it. Please take us up on this as our customers mean a lot to us. At the end of a day, we want to see our customers leave with a smile.
All the best,
RivaReno team
Houston, Texas
“Just like in Italy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I saw there was a RivaReno in Sydney, I knew I had to try it because I loved going to one of their locations in Milano. While I had planned to stop here during my recent visit to Sydney, I hadn't planned on having gone to Messina and then stumbling upon RivaReno. Both are great gelato places and I love them both, but for the authentic Italian gelato, you have to go to RivaReno! Sydney, consider yourself lucky!!!

• Visited August 2013