“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1888 Hotel

You added 1888 Hotel to your Saves list
1888 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Murray Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This hotel is amazing, from the service by the staff to the functional design of their rooms, everything is perfect. Unlike many boutique hotels this reconcile design with comfort!
The location is great for exploring the city on foot, just a few meters from Darling harbor.

Room Tip: On the last floor (4th).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hi Bruno,

So many superlatives, thank you so much! We are so pleased that you thought everything was perfect and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Next time you are in Sydney we would love to see you again.

Andrew Adams-Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I recently stayed in the 1888 Hotel in Sydney with my beautiful daughter. The hotel is ideally located just minutes from Darling Harbour. Exceptional front desk staff. They really couldn't have done more for us. Loved their uniforms of faded denim shirts and jeans. So trendy just like the hotel. You got a sense from the minute you entered the hotel that they wanted your experience with them to be first class. Our room with a beautiful view of the Sydney Sky line was immaculate. The bedding was first class and the bed was so comfortable, pristine clean with an amazing wet room style bathroom. The staff stored our cases on booking out but as we were site seeing for the day went that bit further and offered us complimentary facilities to shower and change including toiletries and towels before we embarked on our flight. We were amazed that there was an ipad in each room. This added to the feeling that the hotel staff trusted their guests again adding to the experience. Each evening they have a happy hour which is very welcomed after a long day touring and as the reception area which contains beautiful leather seating, a bike and live trees is exactly what is needed to relax. My only complaint was the bar tender on the evening we returned who did not explain that only certain drinks were included in the happy hour and charged us full price for our glasses of wine. This person spent their time texting on his mobile phone and really let the side down. Totally disengaged. I would highly recommend this hotel. If ever back in Sydney I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lissane,

I love your review, thank you for your wonderful words and commenting on so many of the things we do and the special service we provide.

Thank you also for your private communication with me in respect to the barman. You have helped identify a point on which we can improve. We always appreciate feedback that helps us do an ever better job.

Thank you for your high recommendation, you must come back to stay with us soon so we can spoil you and your daughter even more!

usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Boutique style hotel in a good location. Front desk staff gave exceptional service. Free Wi-Fi in room along with an I pad for use which was very convenient for those traveling with out personal computers. Short walk to the fish market and the harbor. Would recommend this hotel with out reservation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dotmcc,

Wow - thank you for your high praise! It was wonderful to read your kind review, the part we liked the most was "staff gave exceptional service"

Thank you - and come back soon!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Very nice boutique style hotel with exposed beams and metal everywhere. Our room had double height ceilings and was of a fair size. Not sure about the area (Pyrmont) as not exactly on Darling harbour and had a car park right opposite it. It was only five minutes from the harbour though. Handy for the new ‘tram’ service which appears to have replaced the old monorail (which wasn’t really used by anyone apart from tourists once!) Staff great and very friendly. Happy hour at 5-7 for half price drinks which was good. Free wifi in all rooms and public areas. No swimming pool or other facilities but as Boutique to be expected. Only grip would be the secondary glazing which didn’t really keep out street noise at all but as listed building no double allowed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Daff,

Thank you for your kind words about 1888 Hotel. It is an amazing repurpose of a wool store built in 1888 in one of the oldest harbour side suburbs in Sydney.

You are right, we are a heritage listed building steeped in history so our guests love the free access to the Ian Thorpe Centre moments away from the hotel with its Olympic sized swimming pool, state of the art gym, steam rooms and saunas. Although we are a heritage listed building we have double and triple glazing in our rooms and all the other "mod cons" one would expect..

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your room, happy hour, our handy location and the "great and friendly" team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel and loved every minute. The staff very pleasant, the rooms very clean, the bed OMG awesome. The room is small but hey only to sleep in not to spend the whole day there. Book this hotel you will not be disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lynn,

Thank you for the "excellent" review, it was fantastic to read that you loved every minute of your stay with us.

Come back soon so we can spoil you some more!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We paid $209 and got room 218. Yes, we paid just $209 for a room in Sydney .. and that was pretty good value. I just had a terrible night's sleep. The room is a big cupboard, clean and not shabby, very comfy and large bed (two singles with a big mattress on the top), designer shower room (no bath), large screen TV on the wall, and plenty of coat hangers on the hanging rack (no wardrobe). The window is internal, it gives onto the atrium and at that point it's very narrow so the opposite wall isn't far away and there's little natural light (but when the curtain is shut who knows what's on the other side of the glass?). You can hear the people in the corridor, their doors opening and closing, and the hairdryer through the wall, but 218 is at the end of the corridor and only has one neighbout so there's not much traffic going on. And BTW the bathroom lights are behind the door; the tiny scrap of ironing board is fixed under the shelf above the iron (you have to get down low to see it) and the number for Reception is on the phone and not in the 'all about the hotel' iPad. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful. The bar staff were absent at 10pm .. it was clearly meant to be open but we waited 10 mins and there was no one there, so we gave up. My only issue is that I had a terrible night's sleep. The room was nice and cool when we went to bed (which is how I like it), but all night I kept waking up because it was so airless and I was too hot. I threw off the duvet (which is not in a cover, but sandwiched between two sheets, which I dislike ... I always wake up with bare duvet next to my mouth and am convinced this must happen to others too ...) to cool down and then was too chilly with just a sheet. So lots of stars for the hotel, but the bedding thing didn't work for me ... I couldn't turn the heating up to sleep with just the sheet because that would have made it seem even more airless. Maybe I'm just the princess and the pea, because my husband didn't have a problem .. but for me this was pretty difficult. I'm now very sleep deprived and hoping no one is going to ask me anything complicated before I can slink off home to bed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pointyhead,

I love your nick name on Trip Advisor! Thank you for your wonderful words about 1888 Hotel, and thank you for giving us "lots of stars". It was great to read that you appreciated so many aspects of the building, what we do and the wonderful team. I am so pleased that your husband slept well but I am sad to read your sleep was not as good.

We have a great choice of rooms, some with opening windows, some with baths and even one with a private terrace, so before you next stay contact us directly and we will be happy to find the ideal room for you.

Port Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

A nice funky contemporary hotel. It's a nice alternative to the chains. However, however it has it's concern ! During the middle I was awoken by the operation of the lift! If you are a light sleeper take this into consideration! It's a central consideration!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Plewsy,

It was great to read that you found 1888 Hotel to be a nice alternative to the chain properties. Thank you for your wonderful words.

I was sorry to hear that the lift disturbed you, that is a very rare comment. Before your next stay please let me know and we will ensure that you enjoy a room away from the lifts to ensure your next review will be perfect!

Andrew Adams-Smith

Been to 1888 Hotel? Share your experiences!