“Historic Chic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1888 Hotel

You added 1888 Hotel to your Saves list
1888 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Murray Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Historic Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful new edition to Sydney is 1888 Hotel! It is only 10 months old but could teach some of the older, more established hotels in Sydney a thing or two about service. It is close to Darling Harbour but far enough away to escape the noise and hustle. It has been thoughtfully renovated leaving some of the original features of the woodshed in tact. The rooms are cosy, the breakfast is good value and very tasty and Happy Hour is a great opportunity to taste some great Australian wines and beer. All the staff were warm and friendly. We will definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi Paula,

We love that you loved our genuine and warm service and our heritage listed hotel. Thank you for your kind comments about happy hour and the extensive selection of Australian drinks available, the cosy rooms and the great value. Best of all telling us you will definitely return, that is wonderful news and we look forward to seeing you again.

Andrew Adams-Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Will definitely return to this hotel. Great location in easy walking distance from darling harbour. Staff were very friendly and relaxed. Helpful with local info and very welcoming. Room was cosy but lovely. Gorgeous exposed posts and beams throughout building. Parking across the street was easy. Highly recommend!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Sassafras,

Thanks for your wonderful comments. It was great to read that you found the parking easy, we have recently implemented a new (and cheaper) method so its great to read that it is working,

Even better to read that you will return, we look forward to that!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Excellent boutique hotel. Stay in this hotel if you want to experience something different than the big names. Modern industrial design, vintage wooden tables and chairs, brick wall and decorative furniture that just blend in with the whole environment to impress you with a totally different feeling.

Great location on a quiet street. It takes about 15 minutes casual walk to the Darling Harbour and Fish market, 20-25 minutes walk to The Star where the casino is, and we even walked down to the down town city and Sydney Harbour bridge on foot that took us just about 30-ish minute. If you're tired of walking, Sydney provides free shuttle bus that goes around the main streets and you're free to hop on and drop off at any station.

We spent 3 nights in a loft and my parents in a Delux King room. Excellent choice! Don't stay in a shoebox room if you have an option, why not treat yourself with something different like us, to make it a memorable stay!

Something I didn't quite fancy is the bed is way too soft... that makes my back hurts and I kind of roll over to the middle when my husband sits on the other side of the bed, and I also admin that I enjoy as much staying in the lovely Loft however it was quite a long walk from the bedroom upstair to the bathroom downstair if you have to visit the toilet in the middle of night. The water pressure of the shower was also a little too weak.

Apart from that, was an absolute lovely hotel, basic amenities are all there (love the T2 teabags), do great breakfast and at good location. Make sure you check this hotel out as early as possible, as they do get booked out quite fast!

Room Tip: Shoebox Rooms are an economical option to taste this special boutique hotel, however I would go for...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kay,

Thank you for your great review and very accurate room recommendation! We are thrilled that you loved the repurposing of this Heritage building, the location and the team.

Let us know before you come back because we can work our magic on the mattress to ensure both you and your partner have a perfect nights sleep!

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Arrived in Sydney after a long Pacific crossing at 8.00 am and were given our room promptly despite checking-in being at 3.00 pm! The staff were delightful and very helpful. This set the tone for the rest of our stay at this charming hotel. Nice rooms, incredibly friendly and charming service from staff, and pretty much walking distance to all the major tourist attractions. Would highly recommend this hotel.

The continental breakfast was also very good.

One small suggestion. We had a first floor room close to the highway which meant very little privacy. While there were very heavy drapes which were perfect for nighttime, perhaps some sheer drapes to be pulled during the day time would be helpful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Serendib,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments.

It is fantastic to read that you had such a great stay with us and thank you for your warm words about the wonderful team. We have been open 9 months now so we are thrilled what we offer and how we offer it is so well received. Thank you for your comment about sheer curtains, we are always looking to be even better!

Come back soon so we can spoil you some more!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

It is a rare moment when what you read and research is exceeded by the experience. The website for the 1888 Hotel is first class, slick and very informative but it does not prepare you for the warmth of the service and the comfort of the imaginatively re-designed nineteenth century old wool store building. If you love architectural design you must have a look and how the interior complete with its original wooden frames has been brilliantly recreated and modernised.

We stayed in a room with a loft. The room was very comfortable, clean and very functional. The bed was perfect, the bathroom spacious and we loved the Ipad that was loaded with useful advice on the hotel and the surrounds in Pyrmont.

Breakfast was hearty and the bar area downstairs is exemplary. When I rang for assistance regarding the fridge that was not working it was fixed immediately. This is typical of the very efficient and friendly service.

The 1888 Hotel is in a super location to explore Sydney and I whole heartedly recommend it to overseas visitors and interstate travellers.

We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a Loft room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Perry,

We cant wait for you to return either! Thank you for such a great review, I am so pleased that we exceeded your expectations both in what we offer and how we offer it!

It sounds as if you enjoyed everything you tried, we are thrilled and thank you for sharing your great experience.

See you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in an old woolstore built in 1888, renovated to retain its original charm. The decor is gorgeous, modern industrial with exposed beams and brickworks, both in the lobby and the rooms. I loved the glass elevator! And the artwork in the rooms, love love love.

It's clean - I think wherever you stay whether it be a 2 star motel or a 5 star hotel, you want clean as your number one priority. The rooms were spotless. The bed - oh my god the bed - so comfortable! We stayed four nights in April, and received a free upgrade to a King Room, which always makes one feel a bit special :). The bathroom products along with the rain shower were lovely. The rooms are not "big", but it was absolutely fine for us, the King Room was perfect.

Location is great, right near Darling Harbour. Chinatown isn't too far for cheap but delicious eats. The staff were amazing, so friendly and helpful. This hotel obviously chooses it's staff well and provides good training. They're awesome at getting you a taxi really fast too!

They have free wifi throughout the building - thank you for being in 2014!! Yay! The in-room iPads are cool, and while locked to the hotel's services - you can also use internet, Facebook, instagram etc if you wish, some previous reviewers might not have realised that as I'm not sure what else one might want to do on an iPad that is not actually their own personal one!

I could tell just in our five days there that they are constantly looking for new ways of doing things and looking ahead to the future. Too many hotels are sadly stuck somewhere in the 1990's. This hotel has been open for less than a year and they are doing a stellar job. I had a very comfortable, enjoyable stay here, and can think of no complaints at all. The breakfast in bed service was awesome - I recommend the porridge with grilled banana, and the granola with yogurt and berry compote - yum yum yum. The coffee was good too.

If I had a wish list, it would be more Foxtel choices, I found the choices a bit limited especially as I was on my own for a couple of nights when my daughter went to stay with her cousin. I remember reading that Foxtel has started providing hotels with the full package - what many have at home i.e. all their channels - I know The Wave Apartments in Broadbeach were the first to get it about 6 months ago, worth looking in to! Another would be one of those wall ashtrays outside, it was a bit awkward as a smoker, there was nowhere really to go.

All in all, a fabulous stay at a gorgeous boutique hotel where the people there really want you to be comfortable and happy. I found it to be really good value for what we paid. I told my 14 year old daughter I was doing a trip advisor review and she said "give them a ten out of ten". We'll be back :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear TravAus,

Reading your review made me very proud, proud of the amazing team I work with and the fantastic job they do. Thank you so much for so a comprehensive and exceptional review!

I remember delivering the porridge with grilled banana to your room and thinking "Yumm!" I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for your feedback, we have considered an external ashtray but because we are a heritage listed building we cannot affix anything to the outside of the building nor will the council approve of anything on the pavement. I am currently assessing the options available from Foxtel, thank you for the tip!

Yay! - so pleased to read we will see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel! We spent 8 days in Sydney and from the outset, the staff at 1888 made us feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them ( I'm sure they must have got fed up with our endless 'touristy' questions!)
Although when looking on a map 1888 appears to be some distance from the centre of Sydney, a 10-15min walk across Pyrmont Bridge and you are there. Alternatively there is a ferry wharf about 5mins away, which will get you to Central Quay in about 20mins (a great way to get a slightly different view of Sydney).
We had a king deluxe room on the fourth floor and cannot fault it; more spacious than I expected having read reviews prior to our arrival and a very comfortable bed, along with all the extras you could need (iron/ironing board, kettle, hair dryer, wifi, etc...). The bathroom was also a decent size, with all toiletries provided. The iPads in the room were a nice touch, but would have been nice to be able to switch it off at night! Only complaint with regards to the room was the wifi and only being able to connect one device (not a big issue by any means).
The food served at breakfast was fantastic and just what was needed to set you up for a day touring round Sydney. In the evening, the bar made a great place to sit and relax after a hard days sightseeing!
The friendliness of the staff, out of the way location and boutique size is what makes this hotel so special and it will definitely be my first choice when I return to Sydney :-)

Stayed April 2014
Hi Matt,

We are thrilled that 1888 is your favourite Sydney Hotel! Thank you for all your great comments in your review. Thank you also for your comment about only being able to connect one device in your room, you should have been able to connect up to four devices, I will look into that.

Come back soon so we can spoil you more!

Andrew Adams-Smith

Been to 1888 Hotel? Share your experiences!