“Hidden gem of Darling Harbour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1888 Hotel

You added 1888 Hotel to your Saves list
1888 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Murray Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Hidden gem of Darling Harbour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I can honestly say nothing negative about this hotel. The staff was incredibly nice, helpful, and informative. They gave my boyfriend and I some great advice about where to walk, some cool hidden pubs (the Bennett Inn and the Barbershop), and a unique dining experience (the Night Noodle Market in Hyde Park!).

The rooms are gorgeous, spotless, and OH MY GOD the bed. When I first saw that you could purchase the bed through the hotel, I thought it was a bit weird, but after our first night we were ready to order a mattress topper through the included iPad (every room has one). There was no pricing info, though, so we decided to wait till we got home (still haven't had time).

The espresso was delicious, as was their breakfast. Didn't have time to grab dinner since the Harbour kept us pretty busy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 4th floor! Room 402 has vaulted ceilings. Very cool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear VCgabi,

Thankyou for sharing your recent experience at 1888 Hotel with us.

The team and I are very excited to read your great comments.
Our beds are simply amazing and they have been custom made for us, plus the Microcloud toppers bring extra comfort.

We do love our coffee and our food at the Eatery&Bar: next time try our amazing share plates and boutique wines and beers.

When are you coming back to 1888? The team and I can't wait to welcome you again!

The 1888 Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been travelling in Asia for the last 3 months with my fiancé and we've been to some ok hotels. We normally stay in name brand places as it's a safer bet but we thought we took a chance in Sydney with this cute little hotel.

As I'm from Las Vegas, I'm used to huge grand hotels so I didn't know what to expect. What a pleasant surprise I had. We had been reading on trip advisor how friendly the staff were and the reviews were right. Everyone was so helpful, regardless of time of day or night.

Our room was a shoebox but I suppose we should have expected it as that's what it was named. Haha. The biggest surprise was that we had an Apple iPad to use for free during our stay, with FREE wifi. Apparently every room has one. I've probably stayed in 50 hotels in the last few years and this was the first time I've seen this. WHY don't more hotels do this??

The iPad was able to show us what places were around us including the casino, that I wouldn't have been able to find otherwise. It's certainly not as grand as a Nevada casino but fun nonetheless. We ended up skipping the gambling part and drunk cocktails in a cute little bar near the marquee nightclub while we waited for the huge line to subside. It never did.

All in all, we stayed in Sydney for 4 days and had a blast. I will definitely be coming back and hopefully stay at 1888.

Thank you sydney for great weather And fun times.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Samantha J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are quite excited to read that you have truly enjoyed your stay.
We definitely can't compete with the grandeur of Las Vegas but we are lucky to have such an amazing and intimate building.

We are simply catering for the modern traveller and everything we do is aimed to be designed around our guests needs.

Flights from Las Vegas to Sydney are quite frequent and cheaper nowadays so no excuses: book your next trip to Australia soon as we can't wait to welcome you again.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights and were struck by the outstanding service from such a youthful team. The location is fabulous with just a 5 minute stroll to Darling Harbour. The rooms were small however very comfortable with outstanding beds and pillows. Ceratinly more than adequate as on holiday I like to be out not in our room. Nothing appeared to be a problem with the small things like looking after bags after checkout ordering taxi's and there was even the offer of a shower on our last day after cheking out certainly a nice touch. The conversion from a woolen mill to a hotel has certainly preserved this building to such a good use in the years to come. I will certainly use this Hotel again in future visits to Sydney.

Dear Ian H,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at 1888 Hotel with us.

The team and I are excited to read that you have enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our hospitality.
Our aim is to look after you and make your stay easy, comfortable and unique.

Have you booked your next trip yet? We can't wait to welcome you again!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here for an event at the Sydney Convention Centre. Very convenient location, great range of rooms, excellent healthy breakfast menu and nice and fresh. The staff were great and extremely helpful including grabbing me a cold glass of water on an emergency mission to the hotel from the conference on a 37degree day.
Fast, efficient, clean and a great find! Really hope the word does not spread to far and it be impossible to get a room!

Room Tip: I would recommend the loft room for those who may have visitors to your room, seperate bedroom is a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Debbie H,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are very excited to read that you have enjoyed your stay and we proud ourselves on the level of service we provide: personal and attentive.

Too late: the word is out there and we are the hottest property in Sydney right now!
But get in touch with us and we will always found a room for you.

When are you visiting us again?

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I travel a lot and our aim is always value for money. I think 1888 delivers. We stayed in a King room and it was stunning. Love the decor, the bathroom accessories (sulfate and paraben free products), the mini bar options (organic and healthy options), the proximity to everything, the incredibly comfy bed, the super friendly staff and service, and the atmosphere. We could not fault anything. The rooms are not large, but when you don't have kids with you, who cares! We caught the light train from Central station so we did not have to pay the parking fees across the road and you only have to walk directly through the car park to get to the hotel from the light train station. Everything is within walking distance if you don't want to do public transport. Great location. Amazing stay. Thanks 1888!

Dear CozzaWozza,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are thrilled to read that you truly enjoyed your experience.
You can't wait to return and we can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Have you booked your next stay yet? The team and I can't wait to look after you again.

Kyneton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in the Box room for 2 nights and it is just that - a small room. But perfect for one person not intending on spending a lot of time in the room. Very quite and easy to get to. Room very clean. Free wifi great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jenny D,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed you stay and can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Checkin was a breeze and the staff were really laid back and friendly! They were SO helpful with directions and it was just a few steps away from Darling Harbour! Fantastic.
When we checked out after fishing for the day and feeling pretty gross, they offered us showers which was such a nice touch.

I will be staying again for sure. Cannot fault the hotel and it didnt have the boringness of your usual hotel chain. Ideal location and the staff were fantastic.

Room Tip: We had the basic room and was really happy with it, trees outside so not a view of a concrete jungle...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kiloalphatango,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and managed to take advantage of our shower facilities after check out.

Have you planned your next trip to Sydney yet? The team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon.