“Hidden gem I'm glad I found!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1888 Hotel

You added 1888 Hotel to your Saves list
1888 Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Murray Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Albury, Australia
“Hidden gem I'm glad I found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Excellent boutique style hotel. Rooms were very clean with a funky, chic decor. Staff were relaxed but helpful and could not have been nicer. Realy close to Darling Harbour also. The breakfast was excellent and was happy to see not just the usual junk in the mini-bar, they also stocked Bounce Protein Balls which were great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear PeterNorris73,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are so excited to read that you loved us I am sure you can't wait to visit us again: have you booked yet?

The 1888 Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

just stayed in this lovely boutique hotel, clean, modern, new. staff very helpful and friendly, even a sense of humour. darling harbour right there, bout 30 min taxi ride from airport $43,had 2 rooms booked for a girls weekend away, shoebox room and the junior suite, shoebox room small but very cute, (who spends much time in the room anyway) good sized bathroom, junior suite spacious with large window, great room, beds very luxurious, nice touch to the rooms are the mini bar products, different to your normal run of the mill stuff. had the big brekkie on Monday morning, yum yum! would come back to this hotel for sure, next time im in Sydney

Room Tip: stay junior suite just for that little bit of extra room and the big bath tub
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear celeste2363,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay wit us.

I agree with you about our perfect location: we are so close to everything Sydney has to offer.
I am glad you have enjoyed our fantastic team: a bit of humour makes your day go faster!

I really hope you have booked your next stay with us as we can't wait to see you again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the 1888. I stayed in a "shoebox" room - which was perfect for my purpose. Just a place to crash that was nice! Room was bigger that I expected. I thought their professional photos didn't do them justice. Only slightly annoying thing was the distance to a train station - but I knew that when I booked it. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed August 2013
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear pevans183,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are definitely trying to be unique in what we are delivering and we want to offer something different from the big chains.
We are glad you enjoyed your Shoebox: the best value in town!

The team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I loved this hotel. I stayed for 2 nights in a "shoebox" whilst attending a conference down the road at Doltone House. The staff are sensational - efficient, helpful and friendly - and given that they had been open for barely 2 months that is quite an achievement.

The location is great - an easy walk to Darling Harbour (about 3 minutes if that) and on to the city from there. The casino is a 5 minute walk away and there are many great restaurants in the surrounding area including Flying Fish only about a 10 minute walk away.

Excellent value at $140 per night for my shoebox. And my shoebox - excellent design, all mod cons, very stylish. The shoebox itself was more than adequate for one person. Perhaps with 2 you may get in each other's way but if you view your room as simply a place to sleep, shower and dress it would be fine. There is in fact about 80cm of clearance at each side of the queen bed and about 2metres at the end where they have fitted in a desk and a hanging space. The ensuite is normal size - no space issue there (unless actually you are a very big person then perhaps the shower may be a little small)

They have thought of all the details - not only design touches and an iPad loaded with information about the local area in each room - but the mini bar is stocked with a good range of organic goodies.

The only thing I was a little disappointed in was (lunch and dinner) dining options in the hotel but I am assured that all that is poised to change.

I was also enormously impressed with the Manager's customer service focus. I completed their customer satisfaction survey which was emailed to me the day after my departure. Within an hour the Manager had emailed me back thanking me for my feedback and explaining their plans for dining options in the near future.

A big fat gold star for Hotel 1888 and its staff. So impressed I will seek out their other hotels.

Room Tip: I stayed in a shoebox, room 319 in the centre of the hotel. No window as such other than onto the at...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Louise A,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are over the moon to read that you have made a fabulous choice.
I am delighted you have shared your feedback about our fantastic Shoebox Rooms: now the best kept secret is out! Our Shoebox Rooms are an amazing value for money.

Our service is what we pride ourselves on at 1888 Hotel and it is fantastic to hear that this is being appreciated. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful team looking after our guests.

Have you booked your next stay yet? We can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed for a weekend trip, and was impressed by just about everything. The location is good, with an easy walk to Darling Harbour, Pyrmont and the city as well as the tram and ferry services.

The building has been filled out very well, providing comfortable modern rooms while keeping a rustic feel with the original walls and woodwork. The bathroom was generous in size, there was sufficient room to move and store bags despite the opulent king-sized bed. Very nice.

The stand-out for me was the service provided by the staff. From the moment we entered the building, we felt most welcome. Friendly, courteous, professional and most helpful with everything we needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bok_gsm,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us and for us it is important to receive feedback since we just opened few weeks ago.

I agree with you about the building: it is simply gorgeous and the modern additions work very well with all the original features.

Service is important to us and we are genuinely happy to look after our guests: is it not the reason why you came to visit us?

Please make sure that you book your next stay soon: we can't wait to see you again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Loved every minute of our stay...the hotel's ambiance is amazing, Loved the team spirit and positive approach, they were all knowledgeable and had a can do attitude !

Great location.
Refreshing.
Unique.
Trendy.
Value for money.

Room Tip: No need for a room with a view, as your absorbed by the amazing furnature and everything around you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DreamMaker1,

Thank you for your amazing review of you recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are thrilled to read that your had a perfect stay and we all think you deserved it!
We are here to spoil our guests and to make sure that they are looked after.

I really hope that you have booked your next stay already as the team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Stylish contemporary hotel in beautifully renovated historic building. Rooms very well equipped (have well stocked minibar and even iron&board). Great combination of modern interiors/bath rooms with old frame of the house. Very welcoming and friendly service at reception. Thomas have great recommendations!! Would certainly go back!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hotel1888, General Manager at 1888 Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear BeatandByron,

Thank you for sharing your great review.

We want to caterer for the modern traveller: we provide great service, modern amenities and a wonderful environment! What more can you possibly want?

Thomas, the team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon!

The 1888 Hotel Team

Been to 1888 Hotel? Share your experiences!