“FANTASTIC - BEST FOOD OF OUR LIVES - NO JOKE” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2,114 of 5,171 restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Continental
United States
“FANTASTIC - BEST FOOD OF OUR LIVES - NO JOKE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My Husband and I wandered in here in November of 2012 and I have been meaning to write this review ever since then. We are from Connecticut. We were passing through (in Sydney for just a day) and wanted a really special lunch. I had no clue where to go, so I asked God to help us find a great lunch, and spotting the upper floor of the Republic from the street said "let's go up there". We ended up in the dining room of the Republic after the manager or owner (very nice guy) found us in the elevator which we had inadvertently taken to the basement. We were trying to leave because we thought we were dressed a bit too scruffily for the dining room and had our carry-ons with us, but he insisted we were not and personally escorted us to a lovely table in the upstairs dining room (don't confuse this with the lower floors) and he also found a secure place for our luggage. We then proceeded to have the most amazing lunch - I simply cannot describe to you how delicious everything was, each course more delicious than the last - we have been talking about it ever since. We have seriously never had a meal as excellent, and we travel and eat all over the world. It really seemed to me like this meal was a instance of divine intervention! I had the calamari, my Husband had a prosciutto and Mozzeralla appetizer, we also had a Tomato and Avocado salad. My main dish was the Pan Seared John Dory, my Husband had the Char Grilled Grass Fed Beef. We also had an unspeakably delicious dessert - can't remember the name. If you want a really unbelievable meal try this place - I wish it wasn't on the other side of the world from us! Thank you Republic!! Here is the website if you need it http://www.republichotel.com/home/dining/

• Visited November 2012