“Just don't miss this place if your in town” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Havelock North, New Zealand
“Just don't miss this place if your in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We love fine dining all over the world and boy this place hits the spot on every level... Amazing service, great food, awesome wines and that extra professional touch and feel you get from a quality restaurant that makes your night extra special...

We will defiantly be returning on our next visit to Sydney...

Sad sad point on the night was the couple opposite us who had lost the art of conversation and the ability to enjoy a fantastic dinning experience without being on there phones (social media) for 3/4 of there meal....

Was hoping a waiter might drop them in a ice bucket, I meant the phones ;-)

Visited January 2014

93% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
“In the words of MacArthur, "I shall return"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

As we the rain tumbled down, we were greeted at the lifts and escorted up to the restaurant and our umbrella taken care of. The first impression is a beautiful, open setting, with tables set in neat rows amongst columns. The attire? Not stuffy, more relaxed than I thought it might be – only one of the men had a tie, not many of the guys had jackets, all of the women looked elegant but not over the top. We skipped the champagne trolley and both had cocktails, which were sublime (and you could actually taste the alcohol unlike some of today’s dishwater concoctions.) While we had a table waiter, one of the great things about Est. is that everyone who walks past your table keeps an eye out to see if you need anything, that drinks are replenished, that sort of thing. It’s all done smoothly, professionally and with a smile; that is, not stuffy at all.
We chose the four course option. Let me tell you, the portions are deceptive. By dessert, we were struggling! Of course, I went for the cheese platter and wine flight – which consisted of four wines and four rich cheeses. But let me start at the start …
I started with salad of spanner crab, green mango, cucumber, heart of palm, lime, lemongrass. On its own, that’s the $45 entre. Very refreshing, great hits of lime and a few surprise fun elements on the plate that I won’t spoil for you. My wife had the game consommé, foie gras tortellini, beef tendon, charred onion, baby carrots, thyme. It’s a very subtle consommé, contrasted by the foie gras.
Second course really had us going soft at the knees. My grilled scallops, white carrots, pickled pear, foie gras, hazelnuts was truly sensational. The foie gras is more like a mousse, not a solid piece, and with the perfectly cooked scallops it is out of this world. My wife’s quail breast, lemon confit, pearl couscous, asparagus, fennel, pan juices was hearty in a delicate way and moutherwateringly succulent.
Onto the main course ($59 if you go a la carte). My saddle of venison, cherries, beetroot, black pudding, cocoa paper, amaranth didn’t match the previous course and I ddiscovered I didn’t like black pudding but that’s not the restaurant’s fault. We had ordered a side of mashed potato and the venison with this was what made the meal for me (sorry about that chef!) I wish I had ordered what my wife had, the lamb rib eye, zucchini flower, green peas, polenta panisse, romesco, salad of herbs. The romesco (think capsicum style sauce) and the lamb were a perfect match. We chose a half bottle of good red – a Rockford’s Basket Press Shiraz. $80 if my memory serves me correctly.
You’ve heard about my cheese dish. One of the waiters actually suggested I eat it slightly out of order, which was good advice. Too much rich goat’s cheese for me, mainly because I was already full! My wife had grilled plum, a meringue and almond milk ice cream … “it was really beautiful, light and I loved the almond milk ice cream’, she says. By now we are spent. We decline coffee but petit fours arrive nonetheless. While we are settling the bill we shake our heads and say no – but there’s about six of them, all interesting and so we end up nibbling on each out of curiosity. Mmmmm!
The waiters finish the note on a high, escorting you out. The service is excellent. Their knowledge of the food is first class and the wine suggestions are what you expect in a restaurant of this calibre.
The food was $150 each for four courses. (Compare that to some of the Valentines Day packages where you pay a similar price for a vastly inferior experience.)
So now to the million dollar questions. Was it worth the money? Yes! Would we go back? In a flash!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Delicious fish and nice restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Came with my mother for dinner as it is close to our hotel and saw good comments of it from Tripadvisor. The experience is up to our expectation, we ordered a consomme and scallops as starters and fish for mains. Everything is very good, both of our fish fillets were soooo yummy.

We will definitely come back again, food is good, service is excellent too, restaurant is nicely decorated also.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Elegant restaurant in which you are treated very professionally. The food is good and the service is amazing. All things are done by two very well trained waiters. The wine list was appropriate for the menus and overall the price was fair.
We will certainly come again on our next visit Sydney.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Sensational!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This restaurant was superb for my mothers birthday. The staff are so welcoming on arrival and make you feel special. The food was delicious and they take the time to ensure you are happy with your wine selection and food selection. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited June 2013