“When you spend $700 and you think it was outstanding value you know you are on to a winner.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Est

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We ate the degustation.

Why is Est so good?

1) The service is outstanding. Fact - my wife and I were raving about the lamb to the waiter and 5 minutes later we were handed the hand written recipe from the kitchen. The sommelier was friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, left the snob attitude at home and so helpful in matching the wines.

2) The food is brilliant. Easily the best lamb I have ever eaten. This is not Vue De Monde level cooking but the level is still exceptionally high and at the end of the day better value.

Will we go back? Without doubt we will be eating at Est again. I cannot wait.

• Visited March 2013

92% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wallan, Vic
“Modern & great Cooking at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Business lunch with a bunch of gourmets last week.
For lesser than 100 $ a great 3 course menu. The iberico ham with a twist, first time i eat in combination with shaved fennel. Good touch. I was skeptic ordering the grilled scallops with RABITT rillette. It turned out to be well balanced in flavor and texture.
The passion fruit souffle a perfect close to a fantastic lunch. My colleges too, full of praise for the food. The wine a little on the expensive side. Will return with my wife for dinner soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Need Six Stars For Est.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

After researching several excellent Sydney restaurants for our 25th anniversary dinner on a trip Down Under I settled on Est. I was delighted with our choice. First, a disclaimer. I'm not a foodie but I am married to one, so I wanted this to be perfect. It was. We started with 2 glasses of Dom Perignon off the rolling champagne cart. At $55 a pop, the total for the bubbly was more than we spend on most dinners out-however amortized over 25 years it came in at a reasonable $4/year. (This is how you have to think if you are a person of ordinary means and are dropping 700 bucks on dinner.) I would have liked to have done the seven-course tasting menu but the significant other isn't into lamb or venison so we elected the four-course chef's menu. The yellow fin sashimi was incredible. As I said I'm not a foodie but the blend of flavors in this dish was sublime. My wife's crab salad was just as good. (On our first date she made clear that she wanted input into my dinner choices and that she would be eating off my plate. We've shared ever since). The second course of scallops with parsnip and orange and the moreton bay bugs with hints of ginger and coconut were some of the best things I have ever tasted. I was allowed to order the venison as a main course and, bless her heart, she tried it and liked it. She declined to taste the black pudding however, which is a favorite of mine. I was glad to have it all to myself because it was delicious. She had the John Dory which was cooked perfectly. We closed with the tasty and abundant cheese selection and a fantastic passion fruit soufflé. The portions were perfect (and that's coming from a guy pushing 250 pounds). As for service, it was impeccable without being overly formal. A special shout out to the kiwi sommie (I'm adopting the Aussie habit of adding a "y" or "ie" to things they are fond of like brekkie and tinnys) Dan Sharp. His selections coupled with his friendliness are the reason Est. deserves six stars. He not only provided excellent wine choices for us, he added interesting notes about the wine's history and provenance. His attentions made Est. an incredible experience and memory for us.

• Visited May 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Impeccable Service, Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The service cannot be faulted. The wait staff are attentive at all times. The food is of a very high standard.

The chefs menu was fantastic; the wagyu and souffle dishes are recommended.

We'll be back!

Sydney Australia
“Good food, but a little rushed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had the degustation , with matching wines $ 750 for 2. We just felt that we didn't get a break to enjoy wines. We actually asked for the 150ml glasses of wine and kept being served 75ml, then having to ask, not what you would expect at a 3 hat.

Not a good experience