“Oxford Social keeps up” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Oxford Social keeps up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I discovered Oxford Social in March 2013 when visiting Sydney. I wrote about the restaurant then. Now, one year later, I have been back to Sydney. Of course I was very excited about coming back to Oxford Social. And did they surprise me? Yes, they do keep up the very high standard of the food. Their Danish born chef is a star in the kitchen. And Michael and his lovely wife make all guests feel special in the dining room. They make guests feel like being in their home!
This time I tried the Bruschetta and the Arancini balls as starters. The Bruschetta was different from last year but still very good! For mains I tried the Barramundi filet (fish), the Pork Belly and also the Beef fillet. I just have to say, I did love it all! Not to mention the desserts! The Cream Brulee is exactly as it should be. The Deconstructed Cheesecake is - deconstructed! You have to try it!
Oxford Social have made me my favorite in Sydney - so why go to any other place? Oxford Social has it all! Their wine list is also quite impressive. You will find wines that suits your wallet that goes so well together with whatever food you eat. And, you just have to try their sweet white dessert wine!
I recommend that you book a table, esp in the week-ends. Their website is http://www.oxfordsocial.com.au/

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Closed Down 4 Apr”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Walked passed the Oxford Social yesterday and there is a note on the door saying that the "owners have taken procession and changed the locks" and same today (4 Apr). Guess its closed.

Visited April 2014
Bovingdon, United Kingdom
“An amazing little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our 1st time to Sydney and I selected this restaurant purely based on tripadvisor opinions (so thank you one and all). We were not dissapointed. Lovely, simple food (our 1st time of eating Barramundi), extremely pleasant and helpful waitress and a reasonable price.

Visited March 2014
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

As advised on trip advisor, me and my boyfriend decided to try it out, we were greeted kindly, the place was empty but it was a weekday so no complaints, the food that came out was absolutely amazing and the service was great, waitress constantly changed cutlery for us which was amazing!

London, United Kingdom
“Dissapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Went to Oxford Social for a late dinner on Thursday evening after visiting a theatre nearby having persuaded my two Aussie friends that this place is rated No.1 on Tripadvisor.

We had to wait for a few minutes to be greeted by a pleasant blonde server, not by the owner as other reviewers have stated but it was not that important.

Place was quiet and lacked the atmosphere but it didn't really bother us as we were looking forward to having the fillet steak that everyone raved on about on their review.

What a disappointment: the steak had no flavour, mash was too salty, mushroom was soggy and gravy had an unpleasant sweet aftertaste.
But the biggest no-no was it arrived lukewarm...I am not fussy and I've never done this but it was so bad I HAD TO SEND IT BACK!
Waitress with dark hair kindly agreed to ask the chef to cook another one, reassuring me it would only take a couple of minutes as steak was to be cooked rare.
It took much longer than couple of minutes but well after my friends had finished their meals which in my opinion is not acceptable.
And was it worth the wait? Unfortunately no......
The waitress asked if it was any better but no apology for the delay, I didn't want to make a fuss therefore I said food was fine but I wasn't happy about the fact it took so long.
She then snapped and blatantly said 'I am asking how the food is, not how long it took!' with an attitude...

I couldn't help but felt uncomfortable therefore we left without finishing our meal, and let me tell you I NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING ON A PLATE.

My Aussie friends said this place does not deserve to be No.1 or it would give Sydney a bad name....what a shame.

• Visited March 2014