“Good food. Good value. Great service.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Hong Kong
“Good food. Good value. Great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Every single bite of every dish we ordered was delicious. We ordered two starters: the bruschetta and arancini (risotto balls, breaded and fried). The portions were large and we were glad we only ordered one main course--braised lamb shank, which was super tender, falling off the bone delightful. It was served with a sweet potato mash which complemented the lamb perfectly.
Both starters were superb. We ate everything and practically licked the plate clean. Restaurants I. Sydney are very pricey but this was very reasonable--great value for money and the food was superb.
The service was very quick and friendly. We sat near the bar and conversed with the bar tender. The only negative thing was our failure to research the distance of the restaurant from our hotel near the Rocks. We spent over $20 for taxi! We could have taken a bus but thought it was nearby. We walked back to our hotel which took a delightful 30 minutes,upon the recommendation of the bar tender. We walked near Hyde Park and saw St Mary's Cathedral beautifully lit up. It was a gorgeous evening. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
135OxfordSocial, Guest Relations Manager at Oxford Social, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Anaknilinda,

Marvelous! Review, Thank you so much for a great and concise review, and its a complement coming from Senior Contributor on Trip advisor. It was so pleasing to read that you found our service friendly. We at Oxford Social take allot of pride in treating all our guests, well as guests. Our pride is your happiness and we appreciate you taking the time in writing your review.

I am glad you liked our menu, we do keep it small but that allows us to specialise in our delightful dishes, as with our wine list. Again thank you for your wonderful words and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Brisbane, Australia
“excellent food and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

was very aprehensive when walking into the place was very quiet. however is was mid-week and most places looked the same. food was top notch. my mother had salad to start - i hate salad and even i thought it was to die for! the duck was really good. the steak was good (but not amazing) but for the price point i would give it good marks. the deserts again weren't out of this world but for the pricing i thought were good value for money. you wont get the best meal of your life here, but you will get decent food at honest prices. thumbs up. will be back!

• Visited May 2013
Dear teddybear7888

Thank you for sharing your review, I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the team and am pleased to hear you received the high standard of service and will except your good marks and thumbs up, again thank you.
We believe in excellent service but with that personal touch. I am so glad you enjoyed your meal, the Duck is certainly popular and we too look forward to welcoming you back soon.

sydney
“Winter wonderful...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Well, what a find, a diamond in the rough... Walking down oxford street, we came across Oxford social restaurant, from the first point of entry we knew we were in the right place to eat good food. We were greeting by the owner and his wife. they made us feel like we were in there own house. As we sat down and looked at the menu we found it very difficult to choose... all the options where great, so we got the owner to select for us. Wow!! his recommendations were amazing and after the second bottle of wine we did not want to leave. There also had some amazing artwork around the restaurant when we found out it was the owners wife passion. Wow what an amazing couple. this is my first time I have ever written a review but it is worth it, Well done and Ill be back very soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear pindaros,

Wow! Indeed! Thank you so much for a great and concise review. It was so pleasing to read that you found our attentive service " Superior to general standards in Sydney " . We at Oxford Social take allot of pride in treating all our guests as if they were dear friends, like our guests in our home. Our stake is your happiness and we appreciate you taking the time in writing your review.

I enjoy Lola's art work as you did, I'm lucky as I get to see her marvelous work each day. Again thank you for joining us at Oxford Social and for writing your first review. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
“Worthy of it's current ranking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

PK and I have walked past this restaurant a couple of times but we haven't walked across the threshold before now as the number of diners were not 'a plenty'. I was cruising through the list of Sydney's restaurants on tripadvisor and found Oxford Social was voted #3. Surprised, I went on to read the reviews of past diners and, well....we just had to try it out to find out just how good it really was. We were blown away by our whole experience from the moment we walked in until we again walked out. The service was beautiful: staff were very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable in both the components of each dish and the wines on offer. The food? Amazing! We started with warm olives and Arancini balls with a twist, in which flavours revealed themselves in layers, just lovely! I ordered the Duck served on parsnip and swede puree with blueberry jus for main - simply divine. PK ordered the Angus Beef presented on top of a gorgeous monster mushroom and garlic mash. While also delicious, perhaps the garlic could be a little overpowering for some people. Unfortunately we were too full for dessert although the menu was very tempting. So food aside, the restaurant itself is warm and inviting, the decor is tasteful, the lighting soft and noise levels subdued so conversation is easy. We loved the background music - classical, spanish guitar. This is a lovely restaurant, we enjoyed every moment and will definitely be returning!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Annabelle40,

Thank you for dining with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I was so pleased that our service lived up to your expectations, and that there was a taste surprise, with the monster mushroom. It's a shame you had no room for dessert but maybe next time.
I like to think we make excellent food at reasonable prices so again thank you for saying so.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Oxford Social.

Sydney, Australia
“very enjoyable dinner experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dined here with a big group of friends on Friday night 24/05/2013, booked well ahead. both the manager and the chef were very helpful with the booking and the menu, As a very large group, it took a while to get all of us to order the drinks, waiter was very attentive, always smiling. Chef Jeoff went over board to make sure the food met our needs. I rang him just a few hours before our dinner, to see if they could prepare a cake for us as it was a very special occasion, and Jeoff did. We enjoyed the night, food was very tasty, they had quite a variety of wines and cocktails on the list. good atmospher. Great service. will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013
Dear Thurman,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining evening with us at Oxford Social and that you found it All to be Great. I will pass on your comments to Jeoff, I know he will be pleased to hear you had a good evening. Thank you for sharing your review, I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.