“Winter wonderful...” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
sydney
“Winter wonderful...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Well, what a find, a diamond in the rough... Walking down oxford street, we came across Oxford social restaurant, from the first point of entry we knew we were in the right place to eat good food. We were greeting by the owner and his wife. they made us feel like we were in there own house. As we sat down and looked at the menu we found it very difficult to choose... all the options where great, so we got the owner to select for us. Wow!! his recommendations were amazing and after the second bottle of wine we did not want to leave. There also had some amazing artwork around the restaurant when we found out it was the owners wife passion. Wow what an amazing couple. this is my first time I have ever written a review but it is worth it, Well done and Ill be back very soon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
135OxfordSocial, Guest Relations Manager at Oxford Social, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear pindaros,

Wow! Indeed! Thank you so much for a great and concise review. It was so pleasing to read that you found our attentive service " Superior to general standards in Sydney " . We at Oxford Social take allot of pride in treating all our guests as if they were dear friends, like our guests in our home. Our stake is your happiness and we appreciate you taking the time in writing your review.

I enjoy Lola's art work as you did, I'm lucky as I get to see her marvelous work each day. Again thank you for joining us at Oxford Social and for writing your first review. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

91% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Worthy of it's current ranking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

PK and I have walked past this restaurant a couple of times but we haven't walked across the threshold before now as the number of diners were not 'a plenty'. I was cruising through the list of Sydney's restaurants on tripadvisor and found Oxford Social was voted #3. Surprised, I went on to read the reviews of past diners and, well....we just had to try it out to find out just how good it really was. We were blown away by our whole experience from the moment we walked in until we again walked out. The service was beautiful: staff were very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable in both the components of each dish and the wines on offer. The food? Amazing! We started with warm olives and Arancini balls with a twist, in which flavours revealed themselves in layers, just lovely! I ordered the Duck served on parsnip and swede puree with blueberry jus for main - simply divine. PK ordered the Angus Beef presented on top of a gorgeous monster mushroom and garlic mash. While also delicious, perhaps the garlic could be a little overpowering for some people. Unfortunately we were too full for dessert although the menu was very tempting. So food aside, the restaurant itself is warm and inviting, the decor is tasteful, the lighting soft and noise levels subdued so conversation is easy. We loved the background music - classical, spanish guitar. This is a lovely restaurant, we enjoyed every moment and will definitely be returning!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Annabelle40,

Thank you for dining with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I was so pleased that our service lived up to your expectations, and that there was a taste surprise, with the monster mushroom. It's a shame you had no room for dessert but maybe next time.
I like to think we make excellent food at reasonable prices so again thank you for saying so.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Oxford Social.

Sydney, Australia
“very enjoyable dinner experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dined here with a big group of friends on Friday night 24/05/2013, booked well ahead. both the manager and the chef were very helpful with the booking and the menu, As a very large group, it took a while to get all of us to order the drinks, waiter was very attentive, always smiling. Chef Jeoff went over board to make sure the food met our needs. I rang him just a few hours before our dinner, to see if they could prepare a cake for us as it was a very special occasion, and Jeoff did. We enjoyed the night, food was very tasty, they had quite a variety of wines and cocktails on the list. good atmospher. Great service. will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Thurman,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining evening with us at Oxford Social and that you found it All to be Great. I will pass on your comments to Jeoff, I know he will be pleased to hear you had a good evening. Thank you for sharing your review, I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Social and special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Based on reviews and location selected this lovely restaurant, located on a busy street with many other eateries. The greeting (both on the phone when making a reservation & at the door) was sincerely warm, the service was excellent, the ambiance enjoyable (with a well-selected track of background music at a not-too-loud volume), but the food is the star of the show.
I had duck livers with port/black pepper sauce starter and duck breast with port/blueberry sauce and swede mash-- both were more than ducky-- they were delicious! Imaginatively conceived, well-prepared, beautifully plated. My wife had a wild mushroom crepe starter and a salmon with butternut risotto. Again, interesting combinations with deep, delicious flavors and good portion sizes. Wines by the glass are reasonably priced at about $8.
This restaurant comes up if you request places with just $$ (lower end of the price range) but the meal above (with 2 drinks, no dessert, no bread) was $111. While that seems rather high for a $$ place, we have learned that for Sydney it's quite reasonable. Unlike the place we ate in the day before ("Mr. Wongs") there was no push from the Oxford Social waitstaff to order bottled water, bread, more drinks or other items.
This is an excellent place for those who appreciate interesting and delicious food, and who are prepared to pay only a modest amount above what a low-end restaurant in Sydney charges. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear SeattleSojourner_12,

Thank you for dining with us and taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I was so pleased that our service lived up to your expectations, and that you found our ambiance pleasant.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Oxford Social.

Newcastle, Australia
“Glad we chose this one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had dinner here early on a Sunday evening, and initially had the place all to ourselves. The staff were professional, polished, and very friendly. The restaurant itself had a very clean look; was nicely decorated, and as others have mentioned, there looked to be plenty of room between tables. We thought the food was very good, with my wife finding the starting salad to be one of the better salads she has had in quite some time.

Thanks again for a good meal. We will definitely consider returning, and will try to save some room for dessert next time!

Dear Mruk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you a good evening with us at Oxford Social! I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team about their friendly professionalism and the good food.
I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.