“Social and special!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Social and special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Based on reviews and location selected this lovely restaurant, located on a busy street with many other eateries. The greeting (both on the phone when making a reservation & at the door) was sincerely warm, the service was excellent, the ambiance enjoyable (with a well-selected track of background music at a not-too-loud volume), but the food is the star of the show.
I had duck livers with port/black pepper sauce starter and duck breast with port/blueberry sauce and swede mash-- both were more than ducky-- they were delicious! Imaginatively conceived, well-prepared, beautifully plated. My wife had a wild mushroom crepe starter and a salmon with butternut risotto. Again, interesting combinations with deep, delicious flavors and good portion sizes. Wines by the glass are reasonably priced at about $8.
This restaurant comes up if you request places with just $$ (lower end of the price range) but the meal above (with 2 drinks, no dessert, no bread) was $111. While that seems rather high for a $$ place, we have learned that for Sydney it's quite reasonable. Unlike the place we ate in the day before ("Mr. Wongs") there was no push from the Oxford Social waitstaff to order bottled water, bread, more drinks or other items.
This is an excellent place for those who appreciate interesting and delicious food, and who are prepared to pay only a modest amount above what a low-end restaurant in Sydney charges. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
135OxfordSocial, Guest Relations Manager at Oxford Social, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear SeattleSojourner_12,

Thank you for dining with us and taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I was so pleased that our service lived up to your expectations, and that you found our ambiance pleasant.
I like to think we make excellent food at reasonable prices so again thank you for saying so.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Oxford Social.

Newcastle, Australia
“Glad we chose this one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had dinner here early on a Sunday evening, and initially had the place all to ourselves. The staff were professional, polished, and very friendly. The restaurant itself had a very clean look; was nicely decorated, and as others have mentioned, there looked to be plenty of room between tables. We thought the food was very good, with my wife finding the starting salad to be one of the better salads she has had in quite some time.

Thanks again for a good meal. We will definitely consider returning, and will try to save some room for dessert next time!

Dear Mruk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you a good evening with us at Oxford Social! I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team about their friendly professionalism and the good food.
I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Dalmeny, Australia
“Wonderful service and a beautiful meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We dined relatively late (10pm) on a Saturday night and had a wonderful meal. Started with the bruschetta which was absolutely devine and then followed by the steak for main. Everything was perfect and couldn't fault a single thing! Friendly and hospitable staff and reasonably priced.

Dear mareekelly76,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining evening with us at Oxford Social and that you you found Our service friendly and great. Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Wallan, Vic
“Good Gastronomy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Walked last Saturday about 2 km for lunch from the rock. Saturday lunch closed, to bad.
Went Sunday evening,and i did not regret. Needed to wait till 9pm, No reservation. Simple bistro style place, Manager /Owner ,I guess, very friendly. Ordered my favorite cocktail" dry manhattan "
Not on the menu, however he served a really good one. The recommendation by the manager , from grilled scallops to Pernod flavored prawns and others have been really good.
We could sense in the kitchen is a committed chef. We absolutely recommend Oxford Social for a gastronomic dinner ( Lunch)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Peterson63,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining evening with us at Oxford Social and that you you found it All to be A nice spot for a good Meal and your favourite cocktail that our barman was able to make for you. Thank you for sharing your review, and your recommendation. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Sydney, Australia
“+ oh yeah!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Nice hide out there, beautifull pleace and nice overall, to much people at times, we got the prawns and they were well done, beer is a beer and will go back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
135OxfordSocial, Guest Relations Manager at Oxford Social, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Richard Q,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you found our restaurant to be a beautiful place and enjoyed your evening with us at Oxford Social! I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team about food and beer. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back.