“Food Great. Service started poor, ended well” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #764 of 5,322 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French, Bar, Brasserie
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Ananas Bar and Brasserie is set to bring a touch of shimmering French Mediterranean glamour to The Rocks. Open for lunch, dinner and late-night suppers, Ananas serves up a contemporary twist on the best classic French Mediterranean food, cocktails, wine and Champagne under Chef Paul McGrath.
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Food Great. Service started poor, ended well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Ate here our last night in Sydney. Everyone enjoyed their meal. My steak was seasoned and cooked excellent as was my two son's. My wife's food was excellent as well. One of the better meals we ate in Sydney.

Only issue (and i'm not reducing the rating because of this after all it is a French restaurant and the attitude was almost expected), is the waiter initially treated us with deference when we first sat down. We arrived early (around 5:30pm) after a long day on a tour of the Blue Mountains. We did not go back to our hotel and change so we did look a little ragged and out of place considering the cliental in the restaurant. Once we ordered and the waiter realized our kids are well behaved and ordered meals NOT from the kids menu AND after he almost made a mistake with our bottle of wine, all was well.

It was a great meal and I highly recommend this restaurant as a great night out. Next time I'll come later with just my wife.

“Fabulous French restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went to Ananas last night and absolutely loved every minute of it, apart from the very loud music in the bar whilst we were waiting, but it is a bar, after all! The decor in the restaurant is just fabulously sumptuous with wonderful detail all over. The service was impeccable and our waiter was extremely attentive. I ate the Lobster bisque which was fantastic and then the scallops with black pudding which was perfect!
All the food and wine that we ate was faultless and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. We will definitely be back, sooner rather than later.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Chic French with a twist. You will love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Took my Hubby Peter for a surprise Birthday dinner. Tucked away in the heart of 'The Rocks' Sydney. A modern yet authentic French feel with an artistic design. The food was to die for and the service superb. Ananas means pineapple in French you must try the dessert called 'ananas four ways' you will not be disappointed.

Sydney
“Stylish French at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My Wife and I had a really great experience at this Restaurant last night.This place has miles of style with wonderful bar area where we enjoyed at nice Mai Tai and an Absolutely Ananas which my Wife loved.The Staff here are Pro's and serve with a smile which has been missing from many of Sydney's trendier restaurants.They bring around a good selection of warm breads which was great.We kicked off with half a doz Sydney Rock and Pacific oysters and we were not Disappointed - they were very fresh and tasty ! For mains my Wife had the Flounder - I am not normally a huge fish fan but this was as close to perfect as you would find.I opted for the Minute steak with foie gras and frites - I thought I was back in Paris - Dam good.We washed all of the above down with a bottle of burgundy - well priced at just under $60.Superb Restaurant

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Been here 5 times - might have to think again?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love Ananas - since it has opened its doors I've always enjoyed taking clients here. A couple of days ago - with a party of 4 in tow, it was a total disappointment. Not because of the food (great) or the decor (elegant) or the ambience (relaxed and refined) but because of the service. Our slightly moustached French waiter was surly (and probably Parisian!) - he waited our table as if it were a pain, not a pleasure. We're a bunch of nice people - impeccably polite and used to treating waiting staff with respect and good humour. But he kept making snide remarks and rebutted one of our French speaking clients with a 'sorry I can't understand you' put-down every time he tried to converse or order from the menu in French. No need for that nonsense in Sydney. Wine glasses were empty to the point we had to ASK them to be refilled (like, the ENTIRE table without wine) and he insisted our after dinner digestive had to be bought 'by the bottle only'. (What, for a PORT for 3 people?). I had to correct him 3 times. I thought it was just me, but my dining companions kept asking - "does he have a problem?". Apparently yes, he did. Disappointing - Sydney has too much choice for diners to put up with this sort of surly rubbish from cranky waiting staff. Show some empathy and respect for your paying guests please - it will make or break your restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere