“A very nice dining experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #449 of 5,162 restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French, Bar, Brasserie
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Ananas Bar and Brasserie is set to bring a touch of shimmering French Mediterranean glamour to The Rocks. Open for lunch, dinner and late-night suppers, Ananas serves up a contemporary twist on the best classic French Mediterranean food, cocktails, wine and Champagne under Chef Paul McGrath.
Sydney, Australia
“A very nice dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

All in all we had a very nice meal here. We shared an entree, had a couple of mains and a couple of desserts and a carafe of wine and it came to $220.

The food was great, it is a little on the pricey side but the restaurant itself is pretty spectacular so I would say worth it for a nice meal out.

It was a little quiet when we went which didn't help the atmosphere, but once it gets full then it will be a great place to go.

I'd go back either for work or pleasure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Zephyr Cove, NV
“Great night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went to Ananas New Year's Eve and had a ball. The prices are reasonable for a restaurant of this quality. The waitstaff were all very knowledgeable and very friendly and we loved the decor. Great food and wine, nice decor and great service perfect for a special night out. The bar scene very lively and fun.
Special kudos to the manager who made sure New Year's Eve was special for everyone.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“A deliciously tantalising part of Paris has arrived in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We arrived back from Paris in September not expecting to savor its delights for another couple of years. My wife's choice of restaurant for our anniversary changed all that. The Ananas bar transports you instantly to the tingle of all that is Paris. The elegant hostesses with their sparkling personalities created an atmosphere that drew us both into what you could only describe as, its hard to describe, the only word that does it justice is Paris. The decor added to the buzz and excitement, its vibrant and uplifting and in the background the music completes a wonderful package. As in Paris, you sit, sip your drink and watch the people, without realizing until I'm writing this, they are all experiencing something wonderful, the smiles, the laughter and the looks say it all. We both agree that its time to go to the Restaurant, we did book for 7, An elegant hostess appears un summoned and whisks us to our table.

The restaurant is a perfect frame for my wife, she sits opposite me beaming at the absolute delight that every aspect of this wonderful restaurant and its attentive staff. With the lighting, mirrors, dark floor, and the ever present Annanas the scene is picture perfect.

The menu and the wine list are tantalizing and seductive, but we cant order it all tonight, we shared an entree then have an individual entree a main and desert. It is an anniversary dinner after all.

The Lobster and scallop carpaccio is delicate with the earthiness of the truffle hairdressing offset by the tartness of the yuzu. Its like a painting with flavour, a visual and sensory delight.

Samples are shared across the table for the next dishes, the 65 degree egg and the scallops, again the senses are drawn this way and that by the fine balances of technique, visual elegance and always the sensational flavours. The candied apple slices on the scallops gave the impression of the dish being elegant ladies hats. The slices were delicious and so thin that they were almost transparent.

Mains are similarly shared, the rare eye fillet, "I'm not ordering the steak any where else again, I'm coming back here if I want one" says it all. As for the beef cheek bourguignon, the depth of flavor coaxed into that sauce and the texture of the cheek, I could only do it all justice by cutting up my side of the best chips ever into cubes and tossing them in the sauce and then savoring every last drop. There was no way that even a drop of that sauce was was being left on the plate.

Desert didn't disappoint, the éclair salted caramel was savored to the last morsel.

Did we enjoy the restaurant? We both left that restaurant feeling like we had just been to Paris. Its a place where you can let yourself drift away and just enjoy where you are are with who your with, the atmosphere great food and most of all the attentive service does the rest.

Loved it! Best ever!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Another excellent restuarant in the Rocks.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Went here for a business lunch. Ordered Alaskan crab between four for entree and wasn't disappointed. Everyone ordered their own mains and there was only praise from our table. Good wine, service and location. Will be back for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good, but not quite great...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Ananas last night for dinner with two other couples. While the food was delicious, there were a couple of things that marred an otherwise lovely evening...
Firstly, the three women (myself included) shared a bottle of French champagne while the men had cocktails and/or beers. We also ordered a bottle of red and white wines to enjoy with our meals. When my champagne glass was (almost) empty, it was taken away. I had white wine already poured in front of me at this point, so I did not bother grabbing my champagne glass back to finish the little bit still in the glass. One of the other women also had her champagne glass removed. Yet, a little while later, the waiter arrived with the champagne bottle and topped up the one remaining champagne glass still on the table... why they would remove the champagne glasses from two women when there was more champagne left in the bottle is beyond me. All three women had a glass of wine poured in front of them at this time, so I am annoyed that they did not keep tabs on what we were drinking, especially when we are paying very high prices for champagne and wine! We had to then ask for more champagne glasses to finish the bottle off.
When we ordered our mains, we asked the waiter if we would need some sides. He agreed that yes, we should order some. We went with the spinach and the "fat chips" (I can not recall the French name). Anyway, when the chips arrived there were literally just five chips in the dish for $8.00!!!! That meant we ordered less than one chip each. While this is completely ridiculous as a serving size on so many levels, what annoyed us even more than the one chip each scenario was that the waiter failed to mention that the size of the portion really wouldn't be enough for 6 people. To his credit when we told him how we felt, he gave us another serving, which we were not charged for. This time it had six chips in it.
We also ordered sparkling mineral water for the table and a waiter topped up half full sparkling water glasses with tap water. So while the food really was lovely, it was little things like these incidents which made the night less enjoyable that it should have been. We are more than happy to pay good money for good food, good wine and good service, yet they let themselves down on the service side.