“Nice evening” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #123 of 5,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set within a designer space reminiscent of French Colonial Vietnam, Red Lantern on Riley mixes the nostalgia of Indochine with the personal quirkiness of the Nguyen family. The restaurant is owned and operated by chefs Luke Nguyen and Mark Jensen, and Luke's sister Pauline Nguyen. With a focus on shared dishes, an evening at Red Lantern on Riley is an experience best enjoyed with friends and family.
“Nice evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Staff were superb, we had taster menu which for six of us gave a good choice of well prepared food and enough of it. Really nice night but for us UK people for what it was quite expensive but hey ho that's Sydney, recommended

Visited July 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“nice reminder of vietnam in sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

went here on 23/06 for a birthday with 3 others. Setting and decoration were very good. Couldn't decide between individual dishes or the tasting menu - waiter was very attentive and tried really hard to accommodate 1 of our party who had some shellfish allergies.

Portion sizes were good, and the food was full of flavour, texture and punch which we were pleased about and the mood and music were good for a birthday celebration.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have heard so much about this place and was pleased that my daughter chose it for her birthday dinner. I was not disappointed. We had a table of 14 and chose the tasting plate with dessert and loved everything the food was absolutely faultless.The amazing staff service the best I have seen anywhere. They were so attentive. water glasses were never left empty, whenever we left the table the napkins were folded upon our return now where do you find that sort of service?
I can't wait to come back for my birthday dinner. Highly recommend this place. What an experience!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
wagga
“positive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a good time at red lantern on riley
decor was good - vietnamese vibe without being OTT - love the floor tiles
great service - friendly and timely - neither intrusive nor absent
food was good - but- started out well with the first few offerings very nice although I feel that the flavours lack a bit of the punch of true vietnamese, tastes like it has been adjusted to perceptions of a western palate, could have been both sourer and hotter. least favourite dishes on the tasting menu were the "mains" duck and pork both in a thicker, sweeter, what i would call cantanese style sauce. dessertd were not impressive either but i did not consider this a priority on a vietnamese tasting menu
Luke was very generous with his time, stopping for chats and photos with those patrons who seemed interested

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Elegant Vietnamese Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been a fan of Luke Nguyen for some time, and his food/travel lifestyle programs have been the inspiration for a number of my holiday destinations in South East Asia. It was a no-brainier that I would dine at Red Lantern as soon as I had the opportunity. I wasn't disappointed! The food is delicious, service attentive but unobtrusive, and the decor modern but evocative of Vietnam. I couldn't order everything on the menu, so I did the next best thing and ordered the tasting platter. I was pleasantly surprised by the generosity of the tasting platters serves and could only just fit in a dessert (but that goes into a different stomach doesn't it!). This restaurant is a little on the pricey side, but given its recent elevation to the Sydney top 10, and the quality of food, I give it a big thumbs up!

• Visited May 2013