“positive experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #123 of 5,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set within a designer space reminiscent of French Colonial Vietnam, Red Lantern on Riley mixes the nostalgia of Indochine with the personal quirkiness of the Nguyen family. The restaurant is owned and operated by chefs Luke Nguyen and Mark Jensen, and Luke's sister Pauline Nguyen. With a focus on shared dishes, an evening at Red Lantern on Riley is an experience best enjoyed with friends and family.
wagga
“positive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a good time at red lantern on riley
decor was good - vietnamese vibe without being OTT - love the floor tiles
great service - friendly and timely - neither intrusive nor absent
food was good - but- started out well with the first few offerings very nice although I feel that the flavours lack a bit of the punch of true vietnamese, tastes like it has been adjusted to perceptions of a western palate, could have been both sourer and hotter. least favourite dishes on the tasting menu were the "mains" duck and pork both in a thicker, sweeter, what i would call cantanese style sauce. dessertd were not impressive either but i did not consider this a priority on a vietnamese tasting menu
Luke was very generous with his time, stopping for chats and photos with those patrons who seemed interested

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Elegant Vietnamese Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been a fan of Luke Nguyen for some time, and his food/travel lifestyle programs have been the inspiration for a number of my holiday destinations in South East Asia. It was a no-brainier that I would dine at Red Lantern as soon as I had the opportunity. I wasn't disappointed! The food is delicious, service attentive but unobtrusive, and the decor modern but evocative of Vietnam. I couldn't order everything on the menu, so I did the next best thing and ordered the tasting platter. I was pleasantly surprised by the generosity of the tasting platters serves and could only just fit in a dessert (but that goes into a different stomach doesn't it!). This restaurant is a little on the pricey side, but given its recent elevation to the Sydney top 10, and the quality of food, I give it a big thumbs up!

Bangkok
“Quick eat... Remain intrigue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I visited the place by desperate after a late return of rental car near by and it was just before 3PM...it's beyond late lunch.. First impression of the place is the chic asian looks and with open kitchen..um must be pricey. The reception was very helpful in ensuring the chef to squeeze through the day's last lunch for us.
I thought that the menu is very interesting and challenging for those firs timer of Vietnamese cuisine. We were recommended crispy chicken with soy sauce and braised pork belly.
Both dishes took a bit of time to arrive but tasted not bad... Portion size..BiG! Try

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
kardinya
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Loved the setting, food and the service. We began at the cocktail bar and I loved the Hoi Ann sunset - very watm with fresh ginger. We chose the tasting plate and loved everything. Highly reccommend the experience!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We hit Red Lantern on Riley, Saturday night 25th May, 2013.A party of 4 vegans for my sisters 40th, They were more than happy to cater for us.
We rocked up to a cosy little both surrounded by family and vintage memorabilia flickering candles and mood lighting.
The atmosphere was fantastic, the staff were more than amazing, with the best service I have seen anywhere. From the minute we walked up to the front door, we were catered on our any and every need.
But not intrusive!
We started with round of cocktails - special of the night was an apple style mule cocktail! So fresh and delicious!
We had glassed of water that were never left more than half empty, they were always so attentive!

They came and explained the vegan options, which easily enough was - anything marked vegetarian was also vegan friendly.
So we ordered every vego option on the menu! :) We said bring them out in the order you best recommend.

To name a few favourites of the night, salt and pepper tofu - Vietnamese pancake - deep fried okra - and the finale - a grilled sweet coconut sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf topped with a coconut ice-cream. Complete with a sparkler to wish my sister a happy birthday.

A signed copy of Mark Jensen's book was also personally deliver by the lovely man himself which made my sisters night - week - year - life! :)

My brother in law just asked the floor manager if he could possibly sign it, and he came out to personally deliver it. He was so lovely and gracious. And the whole team made for a memorable night for many years to come. When I am next in Sydney - this will be a regular.

The whole night - with every vego dish - 3 cocktails each - + desert and 10% tips - came to less then $600 for 4 people...and we indulged all night - we ate the place down!!!

Considering we dined at Tetsuya the night before with a bill of 1299 for 4 people - that was not even a half as much as an awesome night as what we had here.

Cannot recommend enough!!!