“The best meal I've ever had.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 5,105 Restaurants in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set within a designer space reminiscent of French Colonial Vietnam, Red Lantern on Riley mixes the nostalgia of Indochine with the personal quirkiness of the Nguyen family. The restaurant is owned and operated by chefs Luke Nguyen and Mark Jensen, and Luke's sister Pauline Nguyen. With a focus on shared dishes, an evening at Red Lantern on Riley is an experience best enjoyed with friends and family.
“The best meal I've ever had.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Everything about red lantern lived up to expectations. We got the delicious dalat tasting menu and it blew our minds. There were so many taste sensations to experience. The service was impeccable and the cocktail list was amazing. Just go.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“No disappointments here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

In my hometown of Sydney for two weeks and the choices for a good dining experience are endless. Went to 'Red Lantern' on Riley Street today and enjoyed it thoroughly. The restaurant wasnt packed probaby due to lots of people being out of town on holidays.

The food was great, service was good and we had a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. My sister and I are keen cooks and we are both keen to try and replicate some of the dishes that we enjoyed.

Highly recommended

• Visited January 2013
verrierdale
“Dissapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've waited a long time to finally find my way to the Red Lantern. I've seen the restaurant featured in television programs and it was on my list when visiting Sydney. My husband and I met with friends. The restaurant was so noisy we could barely hear each other talk. It was a hot night and very stuffy. The food was not up to my expectations. In fact I thought it was good but not great.. Sadly I have to say I would not go back to the Red Lantern given the choice of restaurants available in Sydney. I must add that the staff were lovely and friendly and the service good. We also picked up a $98 parking ticket, The parking is a nightmare.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Good for a "special" meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

If I could rate this as "four and a half" then I would. Down at the bottom, Darlinghurst, end of Riley Street, the interior fit out, as noted by other reviewers, is a very pleasant recreation of a Vietnamese colonial house. We had the $71 per-head tasting menu for dinner, plus an excellent bottle of wine (at $77), plus one dessert to share. This all came out at $250 for two (we had mineral water as well) - not crazy, but not everyday dining.
In our tasting menu, we had plenty to eat, plenty of variety, and plenty of jump-in-the-mouth Vietnamese flavours. We found the young, enthusiastic, friendly and knowledgeable front of house staff (multiple waiters, waitresses and the sommellier) very engaging and not at all stuffy.
Why not rate this five out of five? Well, the dessert was not "bad", but was not distinguished, and the restaurant's obvious success and popularity means you get the irritating fixed sitting system. For food this interesting and of this quality, I'll put up with the minor irritation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SYDNEY
“Vietnam and Sydney collide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Recently had dinner at this wonderful resturant. Sitting in a booth felt like sitting in a Vietnamese home (albiet an upmarket one). Somehow they create this fantastic intimacy which is more than matched by sensational food and happy friendly staff. The highlight - pork fairy floss - never had anything like it - the texture of fairy floss - fine, melt in your mouth strands - with the taste of pork - YUM can't recommend highly enough