“Friendly place to explore a wonderful city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mercantile Hotel

You added The Mercantile Hotel to your Saves list
The Mercantile Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 George Street | The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #108 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Friendly place to explore a wonderful city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

While visiting family in Melbourne, my wife and I took a short break up to Sydney to take in the sights, The Mercantile was booked for us and we loved it.
Its location in The Rocks gives wonderful access to Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay and the Botanical Gardens.
We had a double room with an ensuite bathroom with an enormous bath and it was clean and comfortable. The AC handled what we were assured was unseasonally hot weather (HOT!!) and the helpful and friendly staff made the stay very relaxed.
Other reviewers have made mention of the noise here, and given its location and the large bar on the premises I can see that it may be a problem, however I can honestly say that I did not notice anything and had the best nights sleep of the entire holiday. (Although that might be down to the fact the the children were still in Melbourne...)
Would I go back? Yes. Again and again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

The hotel is ideally situated within a short walking distance of the Sydney Harbor Bridge and Circular Quay. We got a room with shared bathroom and both were very clean and comfortable. The best part was the huge brekkie served up in the morning with juice or a huge cup of coffee. The trade off is that it is located right on top of a pub which got loud at night but usually calmed down latest by 1am. Try to get a room on the 3rd floor and, if possible, not facing the street because the George Street market sets up early Saturday morning and woke us up.

• Stayed July 2008
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

Mercantile Hotel is in a fantastic location in the beautiful Rocks area of Sydney - walking distance to Circular Quay and Sydney Harbour Bridge. However, when you stay there, ask for a room that doesn't face on to George St - I am sure it will be a lot quieter. We stayed there for a Thursday and Friday night, in a double room with private bathroom, that faced onto George St. Although after seeing the accommodation, I also woud have been quite happy staying in a room with shared bathroom - the bathrooms were very clean and I don't think you would have ever had to wait to use them. The room itself was great, very clean, as was our bathroom. Breakfast was also great.

Thursday night we heard alot of traffic noise from the street below - it didn't keep us awake or anything but we were just aware of it all night (I think the windows are quite thin and don't block out much street noise). In the early hours of Saturday morning, we heard kegs being rolled down the street (very, very loud) and shortly after that, what sounded like construction noise, which turned out to be people setting up the markets on the street below (also very loud!) Being above a pub wasn't a problem, we didn't hear any noise from the patrons or band. All in all, the location and value for money makes up for any sleep disturbances - just pack your earplugs or better still, get a room that doesn't face onto George St.

• Liked — Location - proximity to major tourist attractions, pubs, restaurants
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Galway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed here as we thought it would be a good base for exploring Sydney. The location is great, but this is more a Pub that needs a major refurbishment with a few shabby rooms than a hotel.

they clearly have a problem with Cockroaches and when i brought this up with the bar man, he told me " its the Rocks and i should see the Kitchen". Will never return here!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

Ok the location is excellent (right in the middle of the rocks) but the rest is terrible. I amazed by the other reviews and wondered if they have not been written by the hotel owners.
I don't think we can call it an hotel as it is more a bed and breakfast. There's no reception or permanent services.

It is very noisy, especially on weekends as the pub is crowded and with live musis bands playing (until 1am, later on weekends). There's a mixed smell of beer and old socks
The noise insulation from windows is almost inexistant so you get all the noises from the street (traffic, people shouting).
There's no room cleaning service between days and the cleaniness is average.
Be careful, the checkout time is early (10:30am).

So finally I think this hotel is good for party animals or people who don't mind noise or sleeping less but want to be nicely located at a reasonable price. The staff is nice except the breakfast cook who is sometime not very nice.

Stayed November 2007
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

Location of this hotel is great. Close to the Rocks, Circular Quay, Harbour bridge and transport. Breakfast was terrific and plenty of it. We ate at the pub a couple of times and the meals arrived quickly and the serving sizes were ample. We stayed in a room with our own spa in the ensuite. The shower alcove was a mouldy, but the rest of the bathroom was fine. The room decor was bland. The size of the rooms were larger than a motel room. The stairs were steep and narrow , especially where your foot is placed, so this can be a bit scary if you are wearing high heels. It was noisy in the morning on the weekends, due to the market. The music downstairs was great, unless you wanted to sleep, but they did finish at a reasonable time. Overall, I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location and pub atmosphere
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for part of my two week visit to Sydney. It is a great location by the bridge and perfect for public transportation as it is a quick walk to Circular Quay buses and ferries. There are lots of shops, restaurants, museum nearby including a very helpful visitor information center. They still use actual keys (not magnetic cards) and they book the room in a paper ledger!
My room had sizeable bathroom with a big spa tub and a large shower. Thank goodness the maid left her spray cleaner because the shower was VERY moldy. I was satisfied after I cleaned it myself. The furniture was very basic (again I had to dust off a couple of pieces) and I had no phone, but I did have a small refrigerator and an electric kettle with plenty of coffee. There was loud music on the weekend and they set up the market EARLY on Saturday morning--lots of banging just outside my room. Lucky I was planning to get up early anyway. The breakfast was good and had some surprises (black pudding, which I love) but apparently you can't order, you just take what they bring you. All in all, I'd probably stay again because of the location, price (breakfast included) and the convenience of the room. If it had been well cleaned I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — great location, nice set up of room
  • Disliked — dirty room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Mercantile Hotel? Share your experiences!