“Do not stay at the Grand” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Hunter Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #138 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, SA
“Do not stay at the Grand”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Even with good quality silicon ear plugs, the air conditioner outside my room kept me awake most of the night(s) (2). The way the place shuts down on Sundays is really eerie. My room was not clean and the complimentary continental breakfast was never mentioned (there's no one there on Sundays, so don't see how any food could be provided...So don't count on it.)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wollongong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at the Grand hotel, Sydney with my family. We had tickets to a show, all we needed was overnight accommodation.We found the room to be large enough for my self, my husband and our two children ages 6yrs and 10yrs old. the room was clean and comfortable. There was a television and remote in the room, there was a clean bar fridge, and a kettle, cups and coffee making facilities, no milk though.We arrived after 10pm after the show. the bar down stairs had a few patrons, not rowdy or anything like that, rather pleasant actually. We ate our dinner we had purchased outside, in our room. We then went to sleep. There was a slight amount of noise from outside in the street, traffic etc, but I was able to fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. My children slept okay also. My husband is a fairly light sleeper, so he didn't sleep too well.There is no parking at the hotel, so we parked our car in a near by street. There was no parking fees after 10pm in the street, we had to move the car by 7am though. We moved the car to a nearby parking station, in the early bird section of the car park, we had to stay until 4pm to get the cheap fee of $24 for the day. We went back to the Grand Hotel and had some breakfast in the 'Breakfast Room'. We found the dining area to be neat and tidy. There was a complimentary continental breakfast included in the cost of our room. the breakfast on offer was ample for us, we had cereal,toast, spreads,fruit, juice and coffee.
The only things that I would perhaps gripe about was the lift was a bit ancient, but okay, it works!! There is the option of the stairs of course.There was a slight smell overall in the hotel but nothing offensive, just old I guess.The shower hot/cold was hard to regulate, but I guess that is just everyone else using the showers at the same time, so quickly in and quickly out....no big deal! The best part was that the hotel is very close to the city, you can walk to the bridge, the rocks, circular quay etc without any troubles at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

The Grand has an amazing location and everything you need for a fun stay in Sydney CBD. The staff are friendly and the manager Dan makes you extremely welcome in the sports bar on the ground floor. Great for a weekend stay in the city, or longer to explore everything Sydney has to offer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Oh I wish, I had ventured to this site before booking this hotel, but how does the saying go - I was young and needed the money? Just kidding. Anyways, really found our experiences mirrored in quite a lot of the reviews already posted, so will keep short...

Were quite disappointed. Description in travel guides and picture on website were more than the usual bit off. Room was OK, though dusty in the areas where you would have to move a bed to vacuum or so, shared bathrooms could definitely use a face lift. Service was OK, when someone was there (we arrived early in the morning and had no way of reaching anyone for checkin, apparently there's no hotel reception when the pub is closed. "Breakfast" was a joke, continental is something other, but ok, better than nothing. Overall strange atmosphere, didn't really see anyone else there, everyone just kept to their rooms when there, not much communication, etc. Strange Place. Location is the only real plus!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Torquay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

Unfortunately we didn't listen to the previous reviewers, I saw some lovely rooms when booking direct on their website, I even checked with the reception that rooms had been recently refurbished.

Unfortunately when seeing our room I was very disappointed, from what I could see it was refurbished in the 80's and our door didn't even lock but didn't find out until the night before we were leaving.

Breakfast was included, but really don't recommend with horrible cereals, milk, bread, OJ etc. Where do they buy these from...

Only plus side was the location, 5 minute walk from darling harbour and circular quay, oh and the price.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

WE stayed here and found it to be very unfriendly towards families, we had our grandaughter with us and she was under 18 (she was 16) and wasnt even allowed into the place to have dinner , we were told we would have to eat elsewhere or buy her a meal and she would have to stay in her room to eat it and we could have ours in the room with her, we found this un acceptable as there was no where in the room to eat a meal unless you sat on the bed. When we arrived were told by the barmaid or who ever she was that my grandaughter had to wait outside in the street while we checked in as reception was in the bar and she could come in , as we had already paid for the room had we known before that family was not welcome we would NOT have stayed there. The room was a FAMILY room which i cannot understand why they have them , what do they class as a family if under 18's are not welcome in there.
The lift was heavy and hard to hold the doors open , not very disabled friendly , the room had tea/ coffee milk but no kettle, the pillows were flat as pancakes and the bathroom which is shared with other guests had a bath and shower, the shower had no hot water running to it and was cold so tried to have a hot bath instead to find there was no bath plug, no toilet paper in the shared toilet either, I woke the next morning after finally getting to sleep around 12am , very noisy from the street level below to find my legs had broken out with some sort of rash and bites on them just hope it was not bedbugs . I found the staff to be very rude if i asked sort some sort of help , it was like to much bother for them .

I would never stay there again or reccommend it to anyone who plans on staying in sydney with a family .

• Liked — close to opera house and other central places
  • Disliked — Not very friendly staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

We arrived at the Grand Hotel at 8:30am after our flight from the US. I don't understand how the other reviewers could have found the place empty--there were two people working behind the bar and about ten customers watching football matches, even at that early hour. Our check in was smooth, and we were shown our room. It was perfectly acceptable--it had a small fridge, a small TV (no remote, unfortunately), a sink, and a pole for hanging clothes. The bath and toilet were adequately clean, although the shower curtain was mildewy. But for $95AU (that would be about $65 USD at the current exchange rate) the location CANNOT be beat. The hotel is near everything a tourist could want. When we travel, we usually don't like to spend much time sitting around the room, so if all you need is a place to sleep, I would highly recommend this hotel. The bar downstairs was popular for happy hour, and the included continental breakfast was fine--other hotels that we stayed at in Australia that were double the price didn't include breakfast, so give the Grand some credit there. Again, if you're paying so little for such a great location, you have to expect that it's not going to be the Sofitel. But for basic service, we were more than satisfied.

• Liked — Location, Value
  • Disliked — Shower Curtain
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!