“Pretty poor, even for budget accomodation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of George Street Private Hotel

George Street Private Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
George Street Private Hotel
You added George Street Private Hotel to your Saves list
700a George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #72 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Pretty poor, even for budget accomodation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This place was cheap, which was fine cause I wasn't spending much time in my room. But even for cheap accommodation, you still expect some things to be met. My room was like a furnace. Barely slept at all for the 2nd night I was there. Some of the travellers had a party in the hallway and it was absolutely disgusting when I returned one night. Guy behind the counter just sat there in his office and did nothing about it. It may not be his job to tidy up, but he should at least have told the guys to clean up after themselves or perhaps take their party elsewhere. Room was uncomfortable, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a toilet should at least have somewhere to wash your hands.
As I said, its budget, and cheap, but I still think some basic expectations should be met.
On the positive side, can't fault the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

The review below was spot on. Good bathroom facilities rooms were not by any means dirty. But the energy of this place was lacking severely I would never stay here again not now not when I'm 40. This place was tired and unloved and the feel was off. Cheap yes but value for money not booked in for one night before an early morning flight and did not get one wink of sleep. To hot then to cold the factory of extractor fans on the ceiling outside our room didn't help either. All in all average wouldn't recommend for a partying traveller, quiet weekend, budget family stay. Just keep looking, you won't be disappointed

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

From the minute we walked in the place looked clearly unloved, run down and had absolutely no 'vibe' about it. We were greeted with an average service, though it was service that felt like we were more a nuisance to his day than valued paying customers.

The room itself, a 4 bunk room was clean, although they sent us up while cleaning was still taking place, but sill - credit to the cleaner it looked nice.

Very disappointing also was the farm of extractor fans rattling away in the hallway ALL NIGHT.

When it came time to sleep- I would have rather been arrested and spent a night in jail. The pillow was very uncomfortable, the bed was unsleepable and I have never seen four adults get up so quickly when the 4am alarm went off.

This hotel may be cheap and in a good location but your back and neck will thank you for staying away from this place

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights (Wed-Sat) in a twin room. Room was very small with bunk beds, with very little space for luggage.
Our window faced away from the street. However, it was quite noisy at night due to the club below us.
The bathrooms were okay, we never had to wait to use the showers. But there were no shelves to put shampoo etc, only a hook for towels.
The kitchen was reasonable. The fridges were all very full with more cooler bags stored in them than there were guests. The kitchen wasn't too dirty, but that probably depends more on the number of guests staying there.
Wifi was useless, it never worked on any of devices, even when we were in the common room.
Would recommend the hotel for young travellers on a tight budget, due to the convenient locality.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have stayed at the George 3 times now and you know what? it is really cheap. If you want a luxurious hotel experience, this ain't it! But it's cheap and in a good location. My single was $67/night with the bathroom down the hall (which is painful when jet lagged). Yep, it's a little noisy and smells slightly of backpackers but it feels safe.

No elevator so you need to drag your luggage up the steps.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We checked in on a Saturday evening for the night to watch the football. The building has no lifts so the stairs were some journey. Reception was like something out of Psycho, not so welcoming. The room was smelly/dewy with noise from external exhaust fans, it felt like this one time I was put in a jail cell for public nuisance. No heating or cooling meant that I left with hypothermia. There is better quality for the price I paid, in Sydney. You're better off getting arrested for the night and put in a cell, there's no difference. All in all, it was an eventful stay but unfortunately I wont be back.

Room Tip: Maybe try ask for a room on the lowest floor to avoid noise from external mechanical plant. Terania...