“Fantastic view of Harbour Bridge from the apartment window” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbourside Apartments

You added Harbourside Apartments to your Saves list
Harbourside Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2a Henry Lawson Ave | McMahons Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2060 , Australia   |
Ranked #51 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic view of Harbour Bridge from the apartment window”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Fantastic view of Sydney Harbour Bridge from the apartment window. The water taxi to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour is available on the door step. Great walk around the north harbour from the apartment. Helpful staff on reception.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here in 2006 and again in February 2014. Amazing, iconic views of Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Its very well situated, only steps away from McMahons Point which is two stops away from Circular Quay, 7 minute walk from North Sydney station, and close to Blues Point Road, a lovely street with cafes and shops. The studio apartment is plenty big enough for 2, and has basic equipment including the all important cafetiere! However, the internet - aargh! You have to pay an exhorbitant amount for minute amounts of Gbs - I ended up paying £100 for a week's worth and even that wasnt enough to watch a couple of films. The only downer in an otherwise wonderful week.

Room Tip: Do get a room with a view - its so wonderful to wake up to the iconic Sydney views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a room very last minute for two reasons: FREE PARKING (literally impossible to find when staying in Sydney, we were stoked) and the amazing location.

When we arrived we spent a while looking for the actual hotel as it's through a road between two buildings. It's signed but maybe we just didn't pay enough attention! We found it eventually.

Check in was easy (except as we were paying with debit rather than credit they took a $100 deposit). The room was huge. Our view was the best I have ever had anywhere. As others have mentioned, fittings are a bit dated but we had no real issues. The main area that needs improvement is the bathroom - it was cramped and a little difficult to use. However everything was clean and it didn't take long at all to feel at home.

The location is great, with the ferry wharf at your doorstep leaving for the city at regular intervals. Nice and quiet as well (once the rides at opposite Luna park stop running - don't worry plenty of time for sleep!)

All in all, an excellent find in the plethora of Sydney accommodation. We loved our stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back provided the price was reasonable.

PS. The dog was adorable.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here 4 nights and appreciated many aspects of the place. The unit is a decent sized studio, with a queen-sized bed, a kitchenette, and a private bath. The bed was comfortable and the kitchen had most of the basics provided: electric kettle with tea and coffee makings (even a small carton of milk in the refrigerator), dishes and pots and pans. The location is superb: a short walk to the ferry wharf, with easy connections to central Sydney. The staff were pleasant and helpful. There's even a resident dog.

What I wish was better was the level of cleanliness. The sheets were fine, and the bathroom was clean enough, but the kitchen could have used a good scrubbing. You also need to bring your own soap and shampoo, because none are provided. The bathroom in our unit had all the basics, but it was cramped. The sink was no larger than a salad bowl and the threshold for the shower was too low, so water leaked into the bathroom. Fortunately there were enough towels to soak up the excess.

Overall our experience was positive, and the place was a decent value, except as detailed above. And we really liked the dog.

• Stayed March 2014
Alexandra, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

On our recent trip to Sydney we stayed at the Harbourside Apartments. This was not our first choice of location, but due to the Mardi Gras being the same weekend, accommodation was not easy to find. Arriving late after a big day we were disappointed when we arrived at our room. The room prices were not cheap and we were expecting much more for our money. The hotel is quite old, however furnishings were modern and clean. After a nights sleep, and a look out the windows at the view, we felt a bit better. The views were the best you would get anywhere in Sydney, looking out at the harbour bridge and the Opera House. The weather was overcast and cool for our stay, which was good as there was no air conditioning, only ceiling fans. There is a nice swimming pool but was not warm enough for us to try this out.
Our room was very noisy, but this may be a problem in most parts of Sydney, as the trains seem to run every few minutes, and at night there is the noise from the party boats on the harbour.
Location was good as it is right on the waterfront with ferry and bus links just steps from the front door. However these can get expensive if you want to travel back and forward to the city a bit.
Our overall opinion was that we probably would not stay there again, as they were expensive and I think we could find something nearer the city for a similar price.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for a room with a view as this was the best thing about this hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Firstly I would like to say how beautiful the view was and how clean the room was.

Although our stay and view was wonderful I felt the need to email a complaint as the customer service provided from one lady was inexcusable.

As I was checking, in your staff ask for a credit card to take a copy of the details because I had already paid in full on WOTIF. I gave her my debit card as I do not own a credit card. She explained that she needed a credit card which is fine. Her explanation was that the hotel needed access to UNLIMITED FUNDS from a credit card. I'm sorry but most people do not have unlimited funds on their credit cards. She then said they she will accept my debit card by taking a $100 bond. I said that's fine and mentioned to my partner that I may not have $100 in that account as we were shopping in the city and I needed to transfer funds from my savings account - NOT THAT THIS WAS ANY OF HER BUSINESS. Listening to my conversation, she then said to me (pointing to my debit card which was in her hand) "This is very bad news, how do you expect us to rent you a room when you don't even have $100." After listening in on my conversation and believing I could not afford to stay she increased the bond to $200. This situation was handled immaturely and rudely. After checking out the following morning she did not greet me nicely nor ask how my stay was.

I'm paying $290 for one night. I do NOT appreciate this at all and I believe it is unacceptable. All I expect is a clean room and good customer service. This lady was judgmental, discriminating based on my younger age, made me feel unworthy of staying at Harbourside Apartments and made a horrible start for my first holiday in two years. I thought staying at Harbourside Apartments would create memories for all the right reasons but now I have this negative connotation which started my holiday.

I'd like to think that this feedback helps them to improve their customer service so future customers will have a better service than I.

• Stayed February 2014
harbourside82, Manager at Harbourside Apartments, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Kirsten,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I note your reservation was made via wotif, and their booking terms require prepayment, but the booking policy stated on the wotif website for our property is “Credit card deposit is also required for incidentals” this is clearly stated on the main page of the wotif website. I understand that you do not possess a credit card, but I would urge you to read the hotel reservation policy before making a reservation if you do not have a credit card. When you arrived as you did not have a credit card, we did agree to use your debit card for pre-authorisation purposes. You were heard by numerous front office staff to be in the dilemma that you did not have any funds available for pre-authorisation purposes, this of course being a concern to us.

I did speak with your father after your stay about the process of pre-authorisation as I know you were confused as to why this detail was required on check in.

I am sorry you were so upset regarding the requirement of a credit card for security purposes, but I do stress to you the need to read the hotel reservation policy before making a booking.

Maggie Archer
Director of Rooms
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Firstly, make sure you tell taxi driver that you are staying at Harbourside Apartment not harbourview hotel or else they will make that mistake and it will cost you another $10 can fare to correct it.
The apartment itself is very dated and tired but it was clean and has all that you need. The ferries run directly out front but it is a good half hour walk to train station. There are nice cafés and pubs around but give the Thai restaurant (called Your Place) a miss. Food is practically inedible. The advantage is, of you're desperate, they do deliver.
What you can't beat though are the million dollar views that the apt affords of Luna Park, Opera House and Harbour bridge. It's lit up beautifully at night. Ask for room facing water on a high floor and it will make up for averageness of the apt.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Harbourside Apartments? Share your experiences!