“Comfortable hotel with great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Camperdown Sydney

You added Rydges Camperdown Sydney to your Saves list
Rydges Camperdown Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Missenden Road | Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales 2050, Australia   |
Ranked #137 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable hotel with great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I stayed here with my family which consisted of a two year old, teenagers, young married couple and my husband and I. We booked out three rooms, two city view and one standard. Overall, we were all pleased with our rooms, mine was the standard (no view) and not having the view was no problem. Family members who had the city view had claims of their rooms being too hot...and the air conditioning was not working even after advising reception. We all ordered the full breakfast ($21.50) and they were all delivered to our rooms at the times specified, the breakfasts were huge and we enjoyed them very much. We also ate in the hotel restaurant (dinner). The servings were quite small and really nothing spectacular. The staff were friendly and very approachable. The service was exceptional, including the domestic staff.
The location is close to the city and suited our needs perfectly. The only thing I did not like was the underground parking, it was difficult to navigate. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay had by all.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Were do I begin!!!
My partner and I had booked a Superior Queen room for the night as we were seeing a concert near by. Had fast check-in. As we got to the room our card took us about 10 attempts to open the door very frustrating, this happened everytime we wanted to enter the room throughout stay. Very annoying!
Well what can I say about the room! It had a double bed and a single bed in it. It looked nothing like the room we had booked. One of the reasons we booked here as they have the dream bed which are the most comfortable beds ever!! When I looked at the bed it look to be as old as the hotel!! Definently not a dream bed. Had one of the wheels broken on it! When I pulled back the cover on bed which looked to be about 20 years old it had stains all over it and the blanket underneath had hair all over it. So gross. I rang reception and said this dosen't look like the room we had booked. He said sorry they don't have any Superior Queen rooms left! Well maybe they shouldn't have had them on there webpage that they had 3 Superior Queen rooms when I booked! Not happy. He said we could have the $12 parking for free and free breakfast.
Well I'm glad the breakfast ws free because I wouldn't have payed $21.50 for it! Not a huge variety to chose from. Bacon under cooked and overall not worth it!
Also the bathroom shower was terrible, glad I didn't need to wash hair as It would have been difficult to get hair wet! Also the toilet had black stains in it like it hadn't been cleaned in ages and there was black hair in the bath! Im blonde!
Im not one to usually write a review but was very dissapointed with stay here. I am a rydges member and have stayed in numerous other ones and have never had a problem before. I feel for the $171 we payed I think we deserved better. We could have payed abit more and stayed in a much nicer hotel in town. The location was good close to Newtown and great restaurants. Would suggest when booking to ring and comfirm what room you have as the other rooms on website look much updated and has new bedspreads.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

On a recent stay at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised when walking in to the room.

The rooms are spacious, clean and have been recently refurbished to a high standard in comparison to other hotels in the local area. The Dream Bed in the room was amazing, I have not slept so well in months. My husband particularly enjoyed the larger than average LCD televsion and the fact that there was three sports channels to flick through.

If you are looking for a good priced hotel that is close to the city, without paying CBD prices, then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We planned to stay here because of the position, and then had to also bring 2 teenage girls to stay with us at short notice so had to book another room. The reservations people were very helpful and got us interconnecting rooms even though the hotel was quite full.

Staff at reception were efficient for both check in and check out, although we had a child in a wheelchair and it was raining so we could not park near the entrance because someone without a disabled permit had parked in the disabled spot. The person on reception either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about this. In the whole time we stayed in the hotel there were cars without permits parked in the disabled parking spot. I think that the hotel needs to start monitoring this as it is quite difficult to get a wheelchair in and out of a car in the rain believe me!

The rooms were nice but there was no cutlery in the rooms which was also a bit inconvenient as we could not go out in the rain for dinner so bought take away from across the road at Nandos...btw if you want to see bad service check that place out !!!.

Overall though, it was a good experience and I would rate the hotel as good value for the price and position.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Nth Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We were a small group of parents caring for a number of teenagers who were attending various theatre workshops/functions at the Sydney University and the ATYP. The hotel staff happily accommodated us all on the one floor and were happy to oblige with any request throughout our stay . The hotel is located very close to the Uni and the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Buses and taxis are a stones throw away. The rooms were basic but clean, with opening windows which was an added bonus. The room had a mini kitchenette with a small sink , a double stove top & small bar fridge, although we found no pots or pans or cooking utensils. My son & I found no problem with noise even though we kept the window ajar overnight......perhaps we were too exhausted! We enjoyed fabulous breakfasts (& coffee!) at the Hoochie Mama Cafe only a 5 minute walk up Missenden Road towards Newtown. All in all, a good hotel for a reasonable price in a good location.

• Stayed July 2010
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments on trip advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown in the near future

Kind Regards
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here for a conference at the uni (over the road). Initially I was given a front room - but there is no double glazing and the windows don't fit the frame so there is a steady breeze and traffic noise. Rooms at back quieter. The hotel is functional, if a little tired. The second lift wasn't walking, and the other is slow, slow, slow. There is no way to walk down stairs (the fire doors are for emergencies only). Morning congestion were regular pain. On positive side staff are helpful, and I feel sorry for them because given better facilities this would make a pleasant hotel. The price is reasonable, the location was great for conference and city, but I think next time I'll go for a local B and B.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dear Mr Balfour
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown.
As you mentioned unfortunately one of the 2 lifts was out of order due to an unexpected maintenance issue, which had an impact during morning checkouts, this maintenance issue has since been rectified. We thank you for the comments regarding the customer service, we pride ourselves on customer service and our staff play a big role in achieving this, Once again thank you for your comments and we hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Warm Regards
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Have stayed here a few times and although the rooms are dated and in need of an upgrade, for the price it is very reasonable. Staff are always lovely and helpful. Showers are pretty average and hard to fit under if you're tall. Room service was quick, hot and tasty (got the club sandwich and beef burger). Location is great for visitors to Sydney as Newtowns King St is 5 min walk and the city is a $10-15 cab ride.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Dear jsmoo1,

Thank you for for taking the time to post this positive review, we really appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown.
Kind Regards

Been to Rydges Camperdown Sydney? Share your experiences!