“Dirty and Dangerous Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Camperdown Sydney

Save Saved
You added Rydges Camperdown Sydney to your Saves list
Rydges Camperdown Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Missenden Road | Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales 2050, Australia   |
Ranked #132 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Auckland NZ
“Dirty and Dangerous Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

This Hotel is a fire and health hazard and should be closed down. I was disgusted at the state of the Hotel when I stayed there last week for business. Cockroaches meandered in and out of the air conditioning ducts that were clogged with years of dirty grey dust. Carpets were full of dust and covered completely in stains that looked as though they had not even been attempted to be cleaned. There was hair in the bathroom sink, paint peeling of the bath. The electric jug did not fit under the handbasin facet so you had to try and fill it over the bath, the bath controller was locked permanently in off position so you could only fill the jug over the shower head that was also clogged with soap scum. Old coffee and coffee wrappers were inside the drawer where the coffee was kept. Cigarette burns on most of the furniture.

I refused to stay in the first room and was given the only other available room a 'smoking room' which was not much better than the first.

Frankly given the gap under the doors in the room and that they have guest smoking rooms in it and clogged air conditioning units I think this is a recipe for a Hotel Fire, which would possibly claim many lives. I hope in writing this here that others do not book this Hotel since you are putting your lives and health at risk. I will write to Sydney Fire Brigade also since I feel that it is the only thing i can do to assist others.
There are quest apartments next door to this Hotel which look alot better and given the short trip by sydney light rail I would stay in the city next time and commute out.
Namaste Jackie

• Liked — Getting out of it as quick as I could
  • Disliked — Everything was awful
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nick_Freeman, Rydges Camperdown Management at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, December 1, 2008
As i have mentioned in previous reviews our Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishments to our rooms. Unfortunately at the time of this stay the bathroom had not been completed and the carpet had not been replaced. At the completion of the refurbishments our Hotel will be completely non-smoking. Our Hotel like other Hotels in Sydney is treated for pest control each month. For anyone who has read this blog and is concerned that the hotel is not a safe place to stay we present to you the following FACTS about fire safety at Rydges Camperdown.

Our Hotel like all other buildings in the City is tested for fire compliance. We also have contractors who frequent the Hotel monthly checking our fire risks and fire safety equipment. Outside of this we have an external company complete a fire audit on the premises each quarter to keep our fire contractors honest. Any time an issue is bought to our attention by either the Sydney City Council or our Fire Contractors it is rectified immediately. We have a number of safety measure in the Hotel that prevents a fire which are all signed off by council, the fire department and our contractors. Decisions on the hotels fire safety equipment and it's implementations are made through the advice of the professionals who work in the fire fighting industry. This includes but is not limited to the Local Fire department, Sydney City Council our Fire Contractors and external Auditors.

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I recently stayed here for a weeks stay. The room is large and comfortable. The front desk is very attentive and helpful. For me the location was great. I needed easy access to the University of Sydney and Rydges is a short walk away. A major public transportation artery (Parramatta Rd) is right outside. For a nice bohemian feel, a short walk away is King Street. Restaurants, funky shops, cafe's, theaters, kind of fun to check it out.

As mentioned below the place is in need of updating, and they are working on it. The only 2 problems I had with my room were the television is very old (refurbishment tbd), and I was put on a Smoking floor without being asked my preference. The vent system was poor if someone smoked in a nearby room, the smell became quite strong in my room. But an open window helped. The view of the city was fantastic. The price, unlike the previous reviewer, was reasonable based on my search of similar offerings in the area. Again, location was important to me.

It wasn't awful, it's a little dated but they are working on it. I felt very comfortable in my room and the lobby/restaurant/bar area. They are clean, just a little old. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If I needed to be in this part of Sydney again, I'd give them another look. I look forward to seeing the refurbishments.

One issue I had though is local phone charges. There is no warning, and as a foreign traveler used to free local charges (minus the occaisional connect charge) I was shocked to be charged as much as $6 per minute for local calls. I had to make several local calls and my bill at the end of the week came as a bit of a surprise. A warning placard would have been helpful.

• Liked — Location to University of Sydney
  • Disliked — Smoking floor when non-smoking requested, old television/few channels
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nick_Freeman, General Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, August 15, 2008
Thank You for your review. I am pleased to hear that our Hotel was of assistance to you on your recent trip from the US to Australia. I have noted your point about phone charges at the Hotel. I have mentioned in previous conversations also that in Australia a local call is a call to a landline in the local area, and as you mentioned you were calling mobile phones hence the cost of the call. This thuogh will be all outlined on our display of the call costs as you have mentioned. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to visiting again when next in Sydney.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I found this place horribly depressing and could not wait to leave. (I almost walked out when I saw the room--I should have, but I was too exhausted.) This shabby, run-down hotel is dramatically overpriced. I paid $150 for a room whose carpet was worn down in spots to the floorboard below. I refused to touch the old, dirty hot water kettle. The shower walls have stains throughout. Do not stay here until the place is refurbished: you will get better value for the money almost anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nick_Freeman, General Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, July 27, 2008
As previously mentioned we intedn to undergo extensive refurbishments to the Hotel in the coming 6-8 months. We are aware that our carpets and bathrooms need attention which will be actioned in this process.

Wales, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We had 2 family rooms which were interconnecting. The rooms both contained two double beds and a small kitchenette.
The rooms were large, had ample storage for longer stays and we had views over the pool.
While the rooms were clean, they are in need of modernisation. I would guess by looking at the decor that they havent been re-decorated in at least 10 or so years.
The only other negative I have about the room is the air conditioning. There is only the option to have it on low, medium or high, but no actual temperature control. We needed something, but after only a minute on low, we were freezing.
We arrived late at the motel after a long flight and ordered room service from the menu in our rooms. Our meals arrived very quickly, and were tasty, although a tad expensive.
Even though the decor was outdated, its location is convenient to both the airport and city, and the rooms are very spacious.

• Liked — size of the rooms and location
  • Disliked — decor - but its only a minor thing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nick_Freeman, General Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, June 16, 2008

As i have explained we intend to refurbish the rooms in the coming months and trust this process will bring our rooms up to a superior 3.5 star product.

Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

The only thing going for this hotel is it's location, which is great. I stayed there two Saturdays running, once for one night, the second stay for three nights. I would have bailed on the second weekend, only being Mardi Gras, everything was booked out.

Yes, it's waiting refurbishment, but the dirty room, cracked walls and filthy carpet weren't the only problems. Twice I asked the front desk to call me a taxi - they forgot both times. Room service breakfast was dreadful (the yoghurt was sour, food cold) and on the second visit, the television didn't work. I called the desk several times asking that the tv and also the side light get fixed - guess what, no response.

There's no way this hotel is having a cent more of my money, I'm visiting Newton again in June for the long weekend and intend to stay at the Quest, a few doors down instead.

Avoid this hotel like the plague!

Stayed March 2008
I apologise for the lack of adequate service our staff provided to you on your recent visit to the Hotel. We do not see this as normal practice and i have followed up your comments with all department managers related to the short comings.

I trust you will at some stage again give us the opportunity to show you this occasion was a one off occurrence and return to visit us again.

Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

I've stayed in two Hotels for work purposes in Sydney and this one was the better of the two... barely.

I'll start with what was good - The room service, which had a tasty menu and good prices. It was very prompt and a good temperature.

The only exception to this was one of my breakfasts - most of it was cold and rubbery - like someone had pre-cooked it and left it under a heatlamp.

The beds were large, like the room. The curtains blocked out sun, and the windows were nice and big with a great view of the city. The bathroom was a good size and all the bits and pieces were there.

The room itself was a bit rundown, but it was clean and comfortable. With more then enough space to move around and store luggage and belongings.

There was Internet access in the room as well as a proper desk, table and chair. Turndown service was good and the reception was polite and called me a cab everyday.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few bad factors too.

The TV was just stuffed. The reception on all channels (including pay-per-view) was completely blurry. I called reception but they said there was nothing they could do. For such basic amenity its something that should be at least watchable.

The lift is appauling. Its slow, clunky, sounds like its going to fall and I crossed my fingers every time I got into it. The decor outside the rooms is what I can only describe as completely dated, the carpet and walls were stained/peeling and it was just simply depressing.

The room was sound proofed from outside noise, but for two nights (during the week) there were people running in and out of rooms and around the corridors all night at around 3-4am. Reception refused to do anything about it. How can business travellers stay in a Hotel that allows people to run rampant around the place, holding parties in rooms in the early hours of a work day?

The location is out in the middle of the inner-suburbs so its not close to the CBD, which is fine if you can navigate Sydney public transport (ugh) or your work is covering cab fares.

All in all, a reasonably comfortable stay, the hotel just needs to be updated and refurbished.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nick_Freeman, General Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, March 24, 2008
Thank you for your feedback. We understand our televisions are becoming dated hence the reason to update them as part of our refurbishment process to LCD's. We do not accept other guests running through the corridors of the Hotel and have Security guards onsite 7 nights a week to deal with issues such as these.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Sydney.

General manager
Orange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed at the Rydges Camperdown for one night last weekend. (thank god it was only one night) What a shocker! Cracks in the wall, filthy worn carpet, cigarette burns on the furniture. Even the lampshades were stained. I've stayed at a stack of hotels over the past 10 years, but this one was the worst by far. I put in a written complaint, but of course the management haven't bothered to respond. Do youself a favour - stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy, worn & way overpriced
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Our Hotel's refurbishments will include new Carpet, Bed Linen, LCD Televisions, an overhaul of our bathrooms and new furniture and fittings all of which are issues you have bought up in your feedback. Management replies to all comments from our guests via Trip Advisor, our Guest Surveys and any internal guest feedback that is handed to us. Steve please feel free to call me at the Hotel if you would like to discuss anything further as i do not have any of your personal details via this website and am unable to find out whether or not i have replied to you or infact have your feedback.

Regards
Nick Freeman

Been to Rydges Camperdown Sydney? Share your experiences!