“Nice hotel to stay outside CBD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Camperdown Sydney

You added Rydges Camperdown Sydney to your Saves list
Rydges Camperdown Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Missenden Road | Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales 2050, Australia   |
Ranked #137 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice hotel to stay outside CBD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in Sydney for NYE 2014 celebration. Hotel is bit far from CBD but is nice though location is not so great. Bigger room, good breakfast though very expensive. Nice friendly helpful staff.

Anything is acceptable to spend 31st Dec on boat and see the spectacular fireworks.

You'll be lucky if you get the good hotel like this in CBD below $400/night.

Overall good say and recommend it to you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay during one of the busiest time of the year in Sydney despite the proximity from the city.

We sincerely hope that the rest of your stay in Sydney was enjoyable.

Best wishes for 2014!

Kindest regards
Robert O'Brien
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for its proximity to the RPA. But we will never stay there again. I have reviewed quite a few hotels before all around the world and usually my reviews have been from pretty good to excellent. I have never before said a hotel "is absolutely dreadful". Well now I am and recommending people to not stay there.
the rooms are dreadful in every way. To add insult to injury, we decided to have dinner there as my 85 yr old mother could not walk anywhere and there were five of us and everyone of our meals were terrible. It was a very hot day and they had turned the air conditioning off and lastly the service in the restaurant was shocking! After the guy brought out our main meal, we never saw him again. He never came back to see if we wanted more drinks, dessert or coffee,the bill etc. We never saw him again. We had to go look for him to tell him that we wanted the bill as we could not wait to leave.
I cannot believe this a Rydges hotel . It is so old,inside and out, rundown and just generally dilapadated. Shame on you Rydges. It did not have one redeeming quality including the staff on reception. They looked like bogans. Not the kind of look you need on a reception desk. I know this sounds a bit harsh, but sorry, but you have been warned.

Room Tip: I can't!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I have passed your comments about the service you received in our restaurant to our Food and Beverage Manager so that he can train his team accordingly. This is certainly not the impression we intended to make.

We always endeavor to go above and beyond our guests expectations, and I am disappointed to hear that this was not the case; we do hope to have the opportunity to show you we can in fact ‘get it right’. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this any further.

Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Whilst in a prime position, this hotel really falls down on room presentation, staff attitude and consideration of guests. At first glance room seemed OK but closer inspection revealed rust in the bathroom, holes in the ceiling and a window that would not close properly which allowed a breeze to come into the room all night. Room for two nights - including breakfast was $490 - pretty steep. Parking was optional at $22 per vehicle. Room was standard with 2 Queen beds. First night ordered room service and my meal was delivered quickly, it was hot and tasted wonderful. After going to bed ALL hotel guests were awoken just after midnight by a female employee (via the rooms loud speaker system) that a certain person needed to remove their car or it would be towed. Not impressed with that. Breakfast starts at 6.30 and I was in at 6.35 - first cab off the rank. Food was plentiful but barely warm - bacon was cooked to a crisp, had to chase the eggs around the plate. That morning about 10.30 or so the fire alarm went off. Took nearly 15 minutes to advise that it was a false alarm. When booking out I was charged for a breakfast that was included in my package, but after informing Rydges the over charge was quickly credited back into my account. This is an establishment that drastically needs an overhaul of the building, the staff and their pricing policy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, December 15, 2013

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your comments about breakfast to our head chef so that we can look further into why this has occurred, as well as the room maintenance issues to our maintenance manager so that he can fix these straight away.

The announcement for the car to be towed was due to the vehicle blocking an emergency exit, and should there be any situation where guests needed to be evacuated, this vehicle was obstructing the safety of all our hotel guests and staff. Unfortunately this announcement, even with the best intentions, was inconvenient to our guests, due to the time of day, and we have spoken with this staff member on other options to deal with this situation should it arise again. The fire alarm activated that morning, was a false alarm, however staff do need to investigate this before declaring either an emergency or false alarm. An announcement is made initially so that all guests and staff are aware the matter is being looked into, then staff investigate if the hotel needs to be evacuated or not, the emergency alarm is left on until staff are sure there is no emergency. Our staff are trained to assess the situation as quickly as possible, however other factors can cause this to take a little longer than usual. Our guests and staff safety are of the upmost importance, and every care is taken to ensure this is never compromised.

I am pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all our guest rooms for a fresh and modern feel, and are excited for these to be completed in upcoming months.

Again thank you for your time, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this further.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I gave it three out of five - it is only just average.
Room was clean but the finer details like skirting boards and behind the desk were thick with dust. I hate to think of the last time the bed (which was very good, I might add) was actually moved to clean under and behind it. The hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade, it has a real retro architecture but comes across as a desperate b-grade motel that has constantly been patched up. The staff were very pleasant and the recommendation to have breakfast at Cafe Deus (2 minute walk away) was excellent advice. The tv had the usual aspect ratio crime of being wide and very flat - I cannot understand why these hotels can't get the picture right in the 21st century. Talking of 21st century, broadband internet at $30 per night!!! and no wi-fi in the rooms? I thought I was staying at a Rydges hotel not some basic motel. As I have said in the title Rydges, lift your game! this 'hotel' is an embarrassment to the Rydges brand. At $239 per night without breakfast I expected a lot more.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your comments to our housekeeping and maintenance managers to resolve as quickly as possible, and I thank you for pointing this out so we have the opportunity to rectify these issues.

I am pleased to see you found our staff pleasant and friendly as we continuously endeavour to provide the highest quality service to all of our guests.

Guest Relations Manager.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for just a night. All the staff I dealt with were wonderful. The girl at check in gave my friend and I a surprise upgrade with two queen beds in the room instead of one. Clean room. Good mini bar! Very comfy bed. Buses go straight to the city from outside the hotel. Overall it was very pleasant and very affordable.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am particularly pleased that there were several positive parts of your stay that are in alignment with our goals with regards to the property, its location and value for money.

If you would like to discuss any other parts of your stay for our continuous improvements, feel free to contact me directly.

Kindest regards
Robert O'Brien
Front Office Manager
auckland, new zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

stayed here with 3 friends for 5 days. upon arrival, reception couldn't find our reservation, she had quoted a price higher than my actual booking even though i had showed her email confirmation. spoke with the manager he was friendly, gave them all the paper work to confirm something that should have already been in their system. it looks old inside and out, actually it looks dead. the lift is really noisy probably just really old, i felt like it was going to break at one point. our room was okay, the lighting was the worst!! it was dark, they had lamps to replace where the light bulbs weren't working. its true what they say about the beds at the rydges, they're awesome lol. after a long day of shopping, you'll knock out straight away! long walk to the train station, about 10-15mins, buses just outside the hotel. its best for overnight trips, business etc i wouldn't recommend couples though, its pretty budget. not really any views from our room unless you like staring into other houses lol.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the system error that occurred with our reservation processes. I am pleased to see our management team was able to accommodate you and change your rates to match the booking confirmation you had. We will ensure all our team are aware that all booking paperwork must be matched, regardless of whether the booking has correctly come into our system or not.

I am pleased to advise that our lifts are very safe; we do have regular maintenance performed on them to ensure the continuing safety of all our guests is never compromised.

In all our guest rooms and throughout our hotel we use energy efficient light bulbs. These do take a few minutes to warm up to their brightest, however, they are more environmentally friendly, as we continue to do what we can to reduce our carbon footprint.

It is true what they say about our amazing Rydges Dream beds! You can even purchase one on our Rydges website.

And lastly, we do have the option of an amazing view of the city skyline from our city view rooms; they do cost a little more per night but are well worth it.

Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards
Mount Tamborine, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The good stuff - exceptionally helpful and friendly staff. Conveniently located to RPA, Sydney Uni and the King Street cafes. Room was clean. Very comfortable bed. Bar fridge was quiet for a change.
The bad stuff - wind howled noisily through window even when closed. Shower head was loose and literally ran hot and cold.The wardrobe doors, curtains and towel holder needed fixing (they were hanging off!). Net curtains looked dirty and worn. Occasional furniture in the room was worn and uncomfortable.The breakfast was not value for money (@$20), eggs cold, 'wilted' spinach raw and the croissants stale - better to eat out. The sound and picture on the TV was poor and all four pillows were same, like rocks. Did not even inquire about internet access as read it cost $30/night! Electronic key worked intermittently.
Don't really I think I broke even and there is no excuse for the level of disrepair evident in the room and elsewhere throughout the hotel. It all looks a bit sad and tired. Frustrating because the staff were great and it is in a great location. The owners should be ashamed. So much more could be made of this hotel's retro/modernist architecture. Refurbishment of the hotel and its immediate surrounds (the pool) in this style, as one hotel I stayed in Chicago had done, could turn it into a real gem! This is the weak link in a chain of otherwise good hotels.

Room Tip: Pay more and go somewhere else. Eat out.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I would like to apologise for the unnecessary frustration that must have been caused by the maintenance issues you have addressed for the room you stayed in, and for the poor quality of breakfast - this is certainly not the type of impression we intended to make. Please be assured that as a result of your feedback our Maintenance manager has been briefed and requested to resolve the issues immediately. Our Head Chef has also been informed so that she can resolve the issues with our breakfast buffet.

I am pleased to see our location was convenient and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We always endeavour to exceed our guests’ expectations with our service and all feedback is taken on board and implemented into staff training.

I am also excited to advise we are currently looking into updating our rooms and furnishings, replacing the pillows and adding extras to the room as well as updating some of the furniture.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this further.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Rydges Camperdown Sydney? Share your experiences!