“outstanding service from Heather” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Camperdown Sydney

You added Rydges Camperdown Sydney to your Saves list
Rydges Camperdown Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Missenden Road | Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales 2050, Australia   |
Ranked #137 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“outstanding service from Heather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is really old but it was definitely a really good stay. bedroom were very spacious and clean and bed comfortable. Stayed there on the 21st until the 27th september and we had an early check-in at 10:00 am which was perfect. Heather at reception was really good, helpful and friendly. The location of this hotel is perfect if you are visiting someone at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (5 mn walk) or if you are just visiting the city, so easy to catch a bus to the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rydges C, Sales Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Great to hear you had such a good stay, our guests are regularly surprised with how spacious our rooms really are. We understand guests often arrive early after a long time travelling, so we always do our best to have a bed ready asap, I’m glad Heather was able to organise this for you on this occasion.

Thanks again for your review.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great proximity to RPA (Hospital was a stroll up the road).

I wasn't expecting much after reading prior reviews on TA, however it seemed like the best place to stay the night before I had to go into hospital to make sure I could get to the RPA on time and not have a battle with the traffic the morning of my surgery.

Personally, I don't know what the fuss on TA is all about, maybe I was expecting the worst and therefore came out pleasantly surprised.

The room was neat and clean. Yes its not brand new - its a bit of an older hotel and there were stains on the carpet etc, but the twin queen beds were clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was clean, the large TV worked and we didn't encounter any noise and slept well. Room service food was great (according to my mother in law - I couldn't eat due to my surgery)

I found the staff were all very friendly, helpful and seemed happy to be at work, which is a nice change in Sydney !!!

Probably my only complaint would be the carpark - we had a 4 wheel drive and navigating the strange layout of the carpark with any vehicle would be an experience as there are so many pillars.

Apparently a cab into the city is only $15 or so - I think next time I have something on in Sydney I will look at booking here again. Also, my mother in law left some gorgeous clothes in the cupboard, and instead of them being stolen or going "missing", Rydges staff located them and have been obliging to send them to us back home (cash on delivery).

Couldn't really fault this place, a good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive comments on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you had such a good experience whilst travelling to visit the hospital. I’ll be sure to let the team know that their positive attitudes really do make an impression on our guests. You’re right the car park can be a bit tricky with larger 4WD’s, but we do also have open air parking for our guests.

Thanks again for your review.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights - myself, wife and 7yo daughter on a holiday from Brisbane. Team at hotel were extremely helpful, nothing too much trouble and always kind and friendly. We were on the top floor (7) in a twin-queen room which had an great view of the city. Access to buses was excellent, in no time you're in the centre of the CBD. if you like to walk around a bit you're within a 30 min radius of some excellent cafes in both Glebe and Newtown. Cooked breaky was a little ordinary, a bit tasteless and cold. Have seen other reviews that mention the dated architecture and dodgy lifts, agree with that, one lift broke down on last day. This said, had just spent the previous week in at the Ibis Darling Harbour and the room we had in there was like a soulless prison cell, 2 of the 3 lifts at the Ibis DH weren't working when we were leaving. Our room at Rydges was spacious, clean, welcoming and comfortable... just what we needed and I must say we were were all absolutely delighted with it. Thank you Rydges Camperdown for a relaxing and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter and have an excellent view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your great review, we think we’re got a great location too, nice and close to everything.

Thank you for acknowledging the work of our staff, the feedback we get is always shared with the team.

We forward to having you and your family back for your next holiday!

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed three nights. Location great, public transport convenient. View from room of Sydney excellent. Agree with all comments in review "needs some work". Lifts were slow, a trip hazard as they never opened level with the floor. No sound proofing. Curtains not total sun block, would imagine this would make the room very hot in summer. Windows not double glazed so could feel the chill a few feet away from window. The food, just don't bother, breakfast fine, but dinner had a hamburger which was inedible except for the fact I was starving, tasted like pureed what? Certainly no taste of Wagyu beef it was meant to be, salad inedible. Pulled a thread in my clothes from kitchen wood edging. Toilets downstairs had area of no tiles, so trip hazard. Some cleaning issues in areas.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for city and harbour views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. I’m glad that you found our location so convenient and were able to enjoy our great city views of Sydney. I am sorry that you experienced some issues during your stay, please rest assured I have passed on your feedback to the team for follow up. We now have a new Executive chef join the team, and your comments will definitely be taken on board.

Thank you again for your review.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was dated. Curtain had stains on it, shower rose hanging out of the wall. Bathroom paint patchy, and the bathroom is not renovated like the one shown in the hotel pictures. The bathroom door handle was difficult to turn making it difficult to open the door. The room door does not automatically close after you - you have to make an effort to slam the door yourself or you leave the door ajar without realising it. We had ordered a queen queen room and had a queen bed and a double bed - the double bed did not have a bed head. Although the beds were comfortable the pillows were very hard and flat. City view from the room was excellent. Lifts not cleaned properly with buildup of dirt in the corners. Location is excellent for public transport to the city via Parramatta Road and easy walk to RPA Hospital. Food at Rowley's restaurant was tasteless and overcooked.

Room Tip: For prepaid tickets to use public transport you have to walk about 2 blocks down Parramatta Road to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you again for your review.

Coonamble
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

rooms have improved. TV remote didn't work due to something falling off the TV. This had to be called twice to be fixed properly.
Reception staff always polite & ready to assist.
I think for a 5 night stay they could do a better price.

Room Tip: 4th floor & above are better
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thanks for your review! It’s great to hear from a regular guest that we have made some noticeable improvements and that our staff still retain such positive feedback.

We do have some great long stay deals available at present; you can check them out on Rydges.com for your next booking.

Thanks again and we look forward to having you back soon

Cheers
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel advertises its rooms as having air conditioning. It turns out that the whole hotel is centrally heated and the in-room units are not adjustable temperature wise. We spent an unbearably hot night there on 24 August. The only suggestion that the hotel had was to open the window, which was far too noisy as the room overlooked a busy Sydney road.

Room Tip: If the only way to cool the rooms is to open the window then ask for a room that doesn't overloo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown Sydney, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your review and I’m sorry to hear your stay was not as comfortable as we would have liked. During the change of seasons it can be a bit tricky to accommodate all guests as the temperature control is set for heating or cooling. Each room does have its own temperature dial however in the colder months it is set to heating. Please be aware we have now set it to natural as it starts to warm up again heading into Spring.

We do apologies and if I can be any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact.

Sales Manager

Been to Rydges Camperdown Sydney? Share your experiences!