“Very conveniently located” 4 of 5 stars

1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   509 Pitt St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
“Very conveniently located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located across the street from the station. Nice facilities although not much common space for so many people. The whole thing is well maintained and seems pretty new.

Lack of lockers but nice.

If you are not going in NYE, it is nice!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed in this hostel for a few nights when I first arrived in Sydney. It's close to the CBD and right across the road from the train station and bus drop off points.

Not really a criticism of the hostel itself per se but big places always suffer for me from a lack of personal touch. Great facilities but when staying with hundreds of other travellers it makes it hard to meet like minded individuals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I chose WakeUp for it's location as I had an early morning pick up. It was nice enough, clean etc, but after being up north in smaller more intimate hostels it was a shock to my system!

Check in was ok, but the guys checking me in was more interested in chatting to the group of blondes stood behind me then helping me... Staff are a bit hit and miss, some great others more interested in pulling the guests (in my opinion). Saying that the room itself and facilities were very clean, and it offered everything you need from a modern hostel in a big city. I would stay again if working to the same budget.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I've stayed at Wake Up! a couple of times. First time was eight years ago with a friend of mine. We started of at Wake Up! when beginning our trip around Oz.
This time, I stayed with my girlfriend and while the trips were far apart in time and set-up, Wake Up! duly delivered.

The hostel is located extremely well in central Sydney with excellent communication to the airport. As it's located right outside Sydney Central...well, you do the math.

Staff are very friendly (although sometimes a bit "business"-like) and helpful. The kitchen has great utilities, it's just a matter of timing. At certain times the stuff doesn't go around, but that's more down to the amount of people in the kitchen than to the kitchen itself.

The hostel also has a great bar in the basement but you can't tell when you're in your room. It's quiet and comfortable.
As a first time backpacker, it can be a bit too expensive to stay at Wake Up! but based on what you get, it is worth it.

Now, with some routine and a few years older, I do like this place as much as I did when I was 20. I'll keep coming back.
You should too...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a very clean and convenience hostel. It is close to the Central station with 5mins walk. The lobby is grand which is not like the other hostel. Shared Bathroom on each level. It has a wide space for shower and hang up the clothes. Provided comfortable pillow and linen. Just miss the WIFI!!! Otherwise it is perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

this hostel is pretty much central to the city. I had my first experience of this hostel around 2010, i came back here in december last year for a couple of days as i flew in late and couldnt get to my grandads, not much has changed since I was here in 2010. Its probally one of the best hostels ive stayed in, the staff are so nice and friendly too :). The rooms are a decent size and quite clean, I wish there was free wifi but i guess you cant have everything. I just kept myself to myself as im not the biggest person for partying nowadays because im a but older but this wasnt a problem, I just did a bit of sightseeing instead. Theres really not anything negative I can say about this hostel, everything was up to my expectations, I think people expect too much from hostels sometimes you get what you pay for. Its a hostel not a hotel just remember that when writing a review. thanks to the staff for being lovely people and so helpful ;)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My first experience in a hostel i was pleasantly suprised by our private double room. Flat screen tv. Clean and hot shower could not complain. Note that you have to pay for wifi services and not free. Day staff all lovely and helpful. However one night on return to hostel i had taken an allergic reaction to what i think was the bed sheets. I was covered in a rash and hives and was extremely itchy and going out my mind. I went down to ask the night staff if there was a 24 hr pharmacy where i could purchase piriton. After being asked to see the rash and then to be told "its not an emergancy darling you can see a dr in the morning" they literally could not have been more unhelpful. I was told if i thought it was the sheets to take them off and lie on the matress. I think they may have been drunk and more intrested in the blonde girls entering the hostel. On another night the same night staff on entering the hostel late at night the card did not work and the same member of staff commented "theres no way they stay here" I just found them rude and unhelpful and was really dissapointed considering day staff so lovely! Overall gd stay but nightshift staff really let place down!

• Stayed January 2014
WakeUpTeam, Manager at Wake Up! Sydney, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your candid review, and let me assure you our management were deeply concerned with the experience you have outlined for us. We take these kinds of comments very seriously and would very much welcome your assistance in identifying the staff member responsible for these remarks so that we can discuss the matter with them. We take pride in our facilities and service, and from your assessment of the rest of your experience (high quality room and friendly helpful day staff), I hope you agree that this night staff member’s behaviour is not a reflection of our normal standards. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this negative experience. We will contact you privately in the coming days in the hopes that we may make amends by welcoming you on a future stay. Thank you again for taking the time to leave us a review.

Wake Up! Management

Been to Wake Up! Sydney? Share your experiences!