“TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Westend Backpackers

You added Westend Backpackers to your Saves list
Westend Backpackers
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   412 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Footprints Westend)   |
Ranked #94 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Bangkok, Thailand
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Huge RAT at the luggage room big Cockroach walking around. The rooms smell very bad. Yhe elevator didn't work, going up 8 floors by stairs and then the key room didn't work and this is not a cheap hostel. No internet included

Room Tip: choose another hostel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sam B, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
I apologize for the lift situation and we now have both lifts back in order.
If you are ever in Sydney again please do let me know.

Nomads Westend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
België
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Westend Backpackers is a cheap option to spend your time in Sydney. I was here for new years and a lot of accommodations were fully booked, so Westend seemed to be the best price-quality option according to several websites. I am not really a demanding person and my first nights were okay here. The location is quite good: close to the central station, George Street and Darling Harbour. I stayed in a six-bed dorm. The advantage is that the bathroom is attached to the room, so that you don't have to share with hundreds of people. Also here they have the typical dusty carpet on the floor (I am not a fan of carpets).
But... we had bed bugs in our room! Okay, it is a common thing in Australian hostels, but still it is quite disgusting. The rooms were not very clean, making it even easier for bed bugs to settle. The management responded well to this, but it was a hassle: we had to wash all our stuff (the hostel provided us with lmoney for the laundry) and all our luggage was taken to be desinfected. We didn't really receive a compensation for the night.
Then there is the elevator... They brand it as the slowest elevator in Sydney, which is a true fact. I've spent quite some time waiting for this thing... The building is old and requires renovations I'm afraid... but I guess they earn quite good money.
Another thing to keep in mind: lockers and internet are not free.

Hi Dennis,
We made sure to accommodate your group even though you had advised us you had dealt with bugs in another hostel. We also discounted your stay and paid for all your washing and drying as well as cleaning your bags for you.
Our lifts are now both working they just did a bit of overtime during the festive season.

The Nomads Westend Team
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed there for 5days. It was mix domi share with 6 people.
I did not expect this Hostel is old building and big.
The room was too small to share with 6 people and small toilet.
The room did not have much space so I just want to go out and spent my time outside.
Because I do not feel comfort being in this small space. there is small windon I cannot open because they put air conditon on. Also there is no window in the toilet too.
That is why I feel so compact this room and no fresh air.
The room was so smelly. because of this room do not have window.
There's not enough pressure, a relatively small amount of water in bathroom.
I was difficult to take a shower and tooth brush.
This hostel is very old that is why everything is not good condition.
My room was on 12th level and there is one lift which is take such long time to wait until hop on lift. The lift is also very old and slow.

I shared kichen with other poeple. They do not provide breakfast.
When I cook in the kichen I did feel comfortable because too loud music and many people around and even did not have quite place to relex to eat my meal.
I think they should have more kitchen facilities. Can you imagine there is a lot of people are share but there is one kitchen. It is not small kitchen but compare to a mount of people who stay in hostel. They should have more kitchen facilities.
This hostel is very dirty and old.

I do not normally leave any comment on hostel but this time I should do it. Because I want to people know about this Westend Backpackers and do not go there.
If do not care about dirty and old facilities then you willl be fine.

Thank you for your recent review.
Our rooms are a great size as they also include private bathrooms which we see as a huge benefit. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

The Nomads Westend Team
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Of all the hostels around the world I have visited, this was easily the worst. From the power tripping security guard through to the cockroaches we shared our room with, the vibe was crap. The icing on the cake was the manager storming in unannounced at 9:30am in the morning telling me that I had extra people in the room. I then had to convince her the she had no right to come storming in to the room. This was after being contacted and told to pay in full when I made the booking. No, I don't think I'd stay here again and I'd certainly not be recommending it to any fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Stay at the Maze hostel across the street. Same location but a far better option with better pricing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
nomads w, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. The Team leader on at this time was checking all rooms after check out which is procedure in all hostels. If you are ever in Sydney again please do let us know and I would be happy to accommodate you.

Horsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed in the Airlie Beach hostel and we were really impressed. Clean, ensuite showers, big dorms so we booked it for 2 nights in Sydney. When we arrived they couldn't check us in till 2pm, which we thought was a little late. Once we got to our room we booked it as a double room with ensuite, when we went up to the room the bathroom was actually across the hall. The room itself was tiny, the double bed was in the middle of the room, the pillow cases had brown stains on and there was space for one person either side of the bed, with our big traveling bags this made an issue. We went back downstairs and asked to be changed as we were paying $110 a night for this room. They changed us to another room for the second night but couldn't change us for the first and half heartily apologised. The first nights sleep was horrendous. The bed was so uncomfortable and he pillow was basically non existent. The bathroom was tiny also and not even in our room. The door was what looked like a window shutter, and you could see right through the gaps into the shower. In their attempt to hide this there was a towel tied onto the door but still only covered 2/3rds of it which wasn't nice for us. As I girl, and paying for what I though was privacy didn't want the people waiting for the lift to see me in the shower.
The second night we changed rooms which was a hassle as we had to check out at the same time as everyone else so they could clean but again couldn't check in till 2pm. The next room was better, the bed was now a double bunk on the bottom and a single on the top. There was a bit more floor space but again for $110 a night not what I had in mind. I am not a fussy person when it comes to booking hostels and I know they are not going to be brilliant but compared to their other locations and there we'll known name I expected a lot more! The second nights sleep was again terrible and the pillows the same. The bathroom this time was a better size and was reasonable clean. We didn't have a window though which I though was strange.
If returning to Sydney I would not be staying there again and will not recommend Nomads to anyone I know traveling.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sam B, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

We have just started work on our second lift now so this will be up and running this week and we apologize for the inconvenience caused at this time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Westendbackpackers made such an impression on me that i ended up staying for 4 months, it really is the place to be! The rooms are really cosy and are cleaned daily by the super cool house keeping so quietly you would never know they were there! the kitchen is very spacious and open 24/7! Entertainment hear is great , nights arranged out every night and bags full of free alcohol!! The scottish guy does a great job to include everybody! The staff in this hostel are by far the best i have ever come across in my 13 months of travelling , the reception are amazing..really friendly and will help you out with anything 24/7. If you are looking to make friends, this is the place to go..i made tons of friends who made my time in sydney amazing..everyone is so kind and welcoming..i walked in to westend with 3 friends, and left with of what more id call a family..if anything , go for the people that you will meet, because thats what makes your travels!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Great to hear from you and thank you for such a lovely review!
Make sure to come back to us soon and keep in touch!

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I would not recommend this place in the slightest.

Having come straight from another Nomads hostel in Byron Bay we were very disappointed in the service received by the staff, the standard of the rooms and the state of the communal areas.

We had booked a double room with an ensuite, on arrival we had supposedly been upgraded to a larger "triple room", there was barely room for two people let alone three. The room itself was disgusting and we slept fully clothes ontop of our own towels, there was no window or air vent to let in any fresh air. The room was ridiculously hot and stuffy, and I dread to think what it would be like in the middle of summer.

The communal areas were in a disgusting state and the kitchen so dirty it was barely usable.

The luggage room is down a long steep set of stairs, very difficult to access.

Given all the other negatives it seems like a minor thing but also the lifts were so slow at one point I waited 15 minutes to leave the building using the lift as we were told we weren't allowed to use the stairs.

I would definitely suggest finding somewhere else to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sam B, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hey,

Thank you for your recent review.
We have cleaners throughout the day who ensure our common areas are cleaned so I can assure you this is always managed.

Enjoy the rest of your day

The Nomads Westend Team :-)

Been to Westend Backpackers? Share your experiences!