“Highly recommended hotel just off Circular Quay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

You added Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Jamison Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Rydges Jamison Sydney)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #29 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Surrey
“Highly recommended hotel just off Circular Quay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

I stayed in this hotel for five nights in March. This is a boutique hotel with contemporary designs and the rooms are minimalist with their furnishings. The bedroom facilities were superb, with proper cartons of milk for tea and coffee rather than the usual single serve variety. I still haven't figured out why I'd want a toaster in my room though! The bathroom was to die for - huge shower, decent bath, large sink area with lots of storage. The hotel staff were really friendly and efficient. I had a friend joining me as a surprise to the others in our party and, although he checked in ahead of me, the staff kept the surprise by not letting on, right up to the springing of the surprise in the bar. The location of the hotel is excellent - 10 minutes walk from Circular Quay and down a side street so there isn't much through traffic. It's located above a metro station too. Highly recommended - I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

If you dont want to pay for a harbour view, like a good location and a nice hotel, this is for you. Great Hotel!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

After many hours on the plane from Atlanta, GA USA...this is the place to stay while in Sydney! My husband and I arrived at the hotel around 8 am and they immediately checked us in! We then went to the pool, jacuzzi, steam and dry saunas! The indoor pool has a gorgeous floor to ceiling fountain...it made my jetlag seem to disappear it was so comforting! The hotel is only blocks from the Harbour, Rocks area, and shopping is everywhere. You do not need a car in this city...everyone walks and massive transit is available. Rydges offers a breakfast package and this buffet was exceptionally terrific...homemade yogurt, fresh squeezed juice (the juicer was a large free standing stainless steel one), western and asian options. The room was very contemporary with builtin closets/drawers. Perhaps a bit small but nicely done! The Matilda Cruise came with the package and was absolutely the best way to see Sydney Harbor! I also had a massage at the spa. I favor a traditional Thai massage so I selected an Asian vairety that included several Thai elements. There is also an open food court just downstairs outside the hotel which is great! My husband did the 4:30 am skywalk and absolutely loved it! We also took a Bondi Beach tour which takes you all around the coast line. It is a great way to see all the little towns around Sydney right on the water! We got off at the Bondi Beach stop to have lunch at the Iceberg cafe. This is a member's only club/restaurant for the locals to see and be seen. However if you are just visiting, they will let you into the waterfront restaurant. To become an "Iceberg member" you must swim in the huge pool(and I mean HUGE) 75 consecutive Sundays. The service at this hotel was just incredible. The staff was so very nice and accomodating. Would definately stay here again!

airborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

The Rydges was a great choice for my first (but not last) visit to Sydney. I stayed 8 days there. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very nice (boutique like but not too sterile), and the location was perfect. An easy walk to Circular Quay and the Rocks, easy access to trains, and close to a lot of good restaurants and shops. I stayed on the 21st floor and it was one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in. I was there during the week before Easter, so it may have been slow.

Cons: Don't expect much of a view. The elevator card system is finicky. On the other hand the elevators were fast and very available. The in-room television internet never worked (there is an ethernet port if you bring a laptop).

Pros: The staff is young but extremely helpful. Local papers are a nice touch. The business center is small but rarely crowded. The baths are absolute heaven--deep, quiet to fill (for those late night tubs), and separate from the shower. The amenites are all nice and the minibar is not too overpriced.

I normally don't write reviews because I'm always afraid the places I like will become too popular and expensive. Since it may be some time before I get back to Sydney, I felt I had to give the Rydges a big thumbs up. I'd actually like to give Sydney a huge thumbs-up. What a fantastic city. I went there because I'm visiting all of the continents before I get too old to travel (Australia was number 5). Now I'm afraid Antarctica will have to wait because I only want to go back to the land Down Under.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2006

I thought this was a great hotel...and in a great location. The hotel rooms looked like they had just been redone b/c it was new and sophisticated. The location is good as it's in the CBD...across the street from a great restaurant and bar...and within walking distance of the circular quay and harbour. The only thing to warn about is their taxi service...it can take up to 15 minute to get a taxi...so I recommend calling ahead.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

I can highly recommend the Rydges Jamison as a great choice to stay in the Sydney CBD.
The hotel is located close to George Street, within an easy walk to the great shops and restaurants of the historic "Rocks" district, Circular Quay, the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and just two streets walk from Wynyard station to which you can catch an Airportlink train directly from the International and Domestic airport terminals for far less than the cost of a cab fare - too easy! The staff were friendly and helpful and the room itself was very stylish. It reminded me of a sophisticated bachelor pad. A great bathroom, with a large shower and a separate bath, which is far nicer than the shower/bath combinations found in most hotels. I also found the hotel to be very quiet, which was a pleasant surprise. The pillows and the bed were also very comfy. I would certainly stay there again on my next trip to Sydney.

Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights and would definately recommend it. The hotel is in a great location for all city centre attractions - 5 mins to circular quay and the rocks and 10 mins to darling harbour. Staff were firendly, spread of food in for breakfast was 1st class for a restaurant of this size. Rooms were clean and modern - only slight disappointment is that the bathrooms are ultramodern to the extent that they are almost a bit clinical but this is purely down to personal taste. If you're staying in sydeny stay here

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney? Share your experiences!