“Good hotel, but nothing exceptional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

You added Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Jamison Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Rydges Jamison Sydney)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #30 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Montreal, Canada
“Good hotel, but nothing exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

I booked this hotel sometime in the summer of 06, while it was changing ownership. I called them a few weeks before the start of my trip and was told that they didn't have my reservation. My travel agent was able to work it out but I suspect they just re-booked me again. I was lucky that a room was still available. So somehow they had lost my reservation. This is unusual, even when changing hands.

One or two days before betting there I checked their website for directions and noticed that they had amazing special. So my agent re-booked me again. From about 270$ we were paying about 180-190$.

PRO:
- Convenient location
- Good value at the discounted rate. Overpriced for the full rate
- Very nice bathroom
- I had a nice non obstructed view. But no waterfront views at this hotels.
- Very quiet hotel. This was the main reason I didn’t go for the establishment, located almost next door.
- Lots of eating options around. Good breakfast place next door (to right of the hotel)
- Comfortable beds

CON:
- I feel that the website does too much on the Marketing. Somehow the hotel and rooms don't looks as amazing in real life, I felt that the lobby and common area were on the small size, and fell very...empty. No life.
- Decent inside pool. However they put so much chlorine that you can't really use it unless you wear swimming glasses.
- Not reliable reservation experience.

Above all: nothing is really exceptional about this hotel, especially if you get it at regular price. But good value if discounted.

If I return to Sydney I might look into alternatives.

• Liked — Value at discounted price, location, no noise
  • Disliked — overpriced at rack rates, dead hotel lobby (no life)
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed at the Amora in February 2007 for 2 nights, fabulous stay. We arrived and our room wasnt ready so we wandered around the city and saw some sights, left our luggage with the porter. We returned a few hours later, checked in and went to our hotel room on the 34th floor. Our luggage was there waiting for us. Unbelievable room. Very spacious and stylish, huge comfy bed and wonderful city views. The bathroom was wonderful. Double shower, marble floors also deep bath tub also with views, 34 floors up, bit of a strange experience! We headed staright for the Angsa Spa to chill out and cool down in the pool. Very quiet while we were in there. We went into the steam room and there was a vent hanging off which could have caused an injury, also the pol area was quite dirty, only complaint of the whole stay.
We stayed in a Jamison Club room, this gave us access to the Jamison club on an evening which gave you free drinks and canapes, a wonderful way to start the evening in this amazing city. Also included with the room is free breakfast in the Jamison Club. I have to say this is the best breakfast I have ever had, huge array of different things to try, nothing was a problem for the staff. I really filled up on the breaksfast and gave us a good start to our busy day. Views from the Jamison Club were amazing too. We actually saw the QE2 and Queen Mary 2 come into the harbour from out breakfast table!
Overall I would say this is probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in holiday and I am extremely fussy and do like my luxuries! Ideally placed for the Harbour and George Street from shopping and bus stops. Would highly recommend this hotel, we used Asia Rooms to book and it cost about £90 per night. Fantstci value, would deifnately stay here again

• Liked — Little extra on the Jamison Club levels, also fabulous room
  • Disliked — Angsa Spa needed to be a bit cleaner
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Having first stayed at the Amora in June, we decided to stay again in August. While during our second stay we were welcomed back with a sensational room, however, this time around no carparking avaialbe in the hotel (had booked a package with car parking). We had to walk around the corner to the car park (in the rain!), staff weren't overally helpful regarding this.

Also, the second car park took us over 20 minutes to get out, by time they find your car you then drive 1/2 way underway Sydney to exit the park. Again not fun early in the morning when you are tyring to get somewhere!

Breakfast was great first time, but second stay not sure if we were up too early, but everything seemed to be cold and not fresh, which you think it would be at 7.00am.

Room - great, excellent
Beds - fantastic
Carpark - pathetic - shoudn't offer as part of packages if they don't have them.
Breakfast - average

• Liked — Great Rooms & Beds
  • Disliked — Car Parking & Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel earlier this year and if I were to spend another $200 for a hotel stay, it would not be here.

Our welcome at reception.....well lets just say that we could have received a warmer response from a chicken sandwich.

The bathroom was beautiful and clean.

The view was lacking. We could see a small strip sydney harbour and the opera house, with our main view being a big office block next to us.

The restaurant downstairs was good- nice food at a decent price. The breakfast was the same, however, I suggest if you want it, you should include it in your stay-it makes it much easier.

The location is convienent- near the Rocks and the harbour. (A must go place to eat is Pancakes on the Rocks- yum!).

Despite this, there are many other hotels located nearby that I would go to next time, such as the Shangri-La or Four Seasons, which are much closer to the main tourist attractions and there would be no troubles in finding your way back to the hotel (which we experienced).

• Liked — The location (Pancakes at the rocks!!), clean room and bathroom and good breakfast.
  • Disliked — the staff at reception, the views and getting lost when coming back from the rocks!! it was a too pricey
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney Central
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

amora on jamieson was a fantastic place to stay. very close to the rocks area,the harbour bridge',circular quary,and great places to eat.the beds were king size and very comfortable,i loved the bathrooms ,seperate large bath,and plenty of room,slippers and gowns were a nice surprise in our wardrobes,and a great mini bar.

Stayed May 2007
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

About a month ago I booked two Jamison Club rooms so that my my wife would have somewhere pleasant to stay in Sydney to celebrate her 40th birthday with her sisters. I booked 2 x twin rooms (that is, two double beds in each room). Two days before the check-in date, a friendly member of the hotel staff called me to confirm my reservation of TWO JAMISON CLUB TWIN ROOMS. Also, having previously read some posts on tripadvisor regarding difficulties in obtaining parking at the hotel, I called the hotel the day before check-in to find out whether there would be any problem obtaining valet parking. I was told "It won't be a problem at all because the hotel will be just about empty". Upon arriving at the hotel, two of the sisters that drove to the hotel were advised that valet parking was not available and that they would have to drive a block away to get parking. In addition, upon check-in, my wife was told that only one twin room was available and that the other would have to be a Deluxe King room (1 x king bed). These two significant failings are unacceptable, particularly because this hotel claims to be 5-star. Apart from these problems, the rooms were fine and represent good value.

• Liked — Bath
  • Disliked — Not told the truth about rooms and parking
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

Well located in the middle of all things Sydney, the hotel is slightly hidden away but the service from the moment the door is opened for you is high quality. The foyer is well furnished and modern.

The rooms are excellent. Large bathrooms with baths big enough to actually use, high quality fixtures and good shower head. The bed is extremely comfortable, the room has nice built in furniture and quite is quite spacious.

Breakfast was great, large selection, and high quality.

I would recommend this hotel for either a business stay or a short stay in Sydney city.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney? Share your experiences!