“Can't recomment this place” 2 of 5 stars

Rooftop Travellers Lodge
146-148 Glebe Point Rd | Glebe, Sydney, New South Wales 2037, Australia   |
Ranked #130 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Can't recomment this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

When I first arrived in my room I thought hmm this might be a really nice place to stay, I might extend for another week. Thank god I did not.

ROOM

Gladly our aircon is working (although turning off from its own after a couple of hours) so the room can be cool if it's too hot outside.
The computer is not working at all, the only thing you can do is turning it on and off. So there's no internet for the stay as they don't offer wifi.
The bathroom is cleaned at most once a week so you can imagine how disgusting it is after a few days if 4 people are using it and some are not trying to keep it tidy.
Toilet paper is not provided so you either get your own toilet paper or buy one at the reception for $2 for 2 rolls of coles smartbuy toilet paper.
The bathroom door doesn't close properly and there are gaps where you can easily look through.
The beds are the worst beds I EVER slept in. The mattress I'm sleeping on is full of stains (blood probably from the period of a girl, and other stains I really don't want to know what it comes from). The beds are the squeakiest beds I ever heard or slept in. I can't turn around or anything else as it wakes everyone up everytime I move, it's terrible.

LOCATION
The location is brilliant as there's a bus stop right in front of the hostel or you can walk to central station within 20 - 30min

STAFF
On a scale from 0=unfriendly to 10=super friendly I give the staff a 4.

KITCHEN

The kitchen is on the rooftop so you have to walk 1 - 3 floors upstairs with all your food to get to the kitchen + you have to bring all your pots, plates, cutlery as well as all of it is located in the rooms.
It's good to have plates in the room if you want to have a snack there (as there's a fridge in the room) but then the should at least buy a few more pots to be kept upstairs in the kitchen, it's a real hazard to take just EVERYTHING upstairs to cook. Aditionally theres only one pot and one pan per room so if 2 people of one room want to cook at the same time - not possible.
The kitchen in general is tidy and big enough but way to hot as there's no aircon in there and it's located on the rooftop(as said)

PARKING

There's limited parking (but normally enough space for everyone) under the builing, but it's not underground, it's just under the building between poles and if you're having a van you're just f***** cause it's almost impossible to park. I'm a good parker but it took me about 15 or 20 minuted to park in there as every parking space is really tight and some are not high enough for vans.

COMMUNITY

If you want to socialize or party or anything else backpacker-like, then this hostel is nothing for you as most of the people are working and going to bed pretty early (or just work nd are not in the hostel). For me, this hostel does not have any kind of atmosphere.

All of this CAN be acceptable for the price of $154 a week, BUT

on the 2nd day of my stay I saw a lot of bugs crawling everywhere, in the shower, next to the sink and even in the kitchen!!
But the event of yesterday made me think of leaving earlier, I was mocing my coles-bag a bit and 5 COCKROACHES were running under it and were running away in a few holes. HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT?????
I am also not sure if there's no bedbugs, I'm not red anywhere but I'm scratching more than normal but maybe (and hopefully) I just imagine that!!

So overall, I really hope that you won't go to this hostel. I'm on a very low budget, I'm normally sleeping in my car in order not to pay for accomodation and I'm fine with not having a shower for a week but this hostel is just too much.
I'm and everyone else is worth more than staying in this hostel.

PLEASE listen to the reviews and decide to stay at another hostel. This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
firenze
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We've had a great stay here. The hostel was clean and the location was excellent as we were pretty much walking distance to what we were interested in. Let me thank Viola, she was very helpful and kind . Australia is far away but i promise....i'll be back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Maastricht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Location of the hostel is good. Glebe Point road is blessed with a large variety of good and cheap restaurants. Also, it is only ten minutes away from Sydney Uni and Paramatta Road (to catch a bus into the city center). Broadway shopping centre (Coles, kmart, Apple store, movie theatre etc) is a ten to fifteen minute walk. The hostel itself is okay. The price quality ratio is quite good, however, the rooms are kind of untidy, there is no wifi (but for some reason a very slow computer in each room), the kitchen is on the rooftop (it is not very convenient walking with groceries and utensils up the stairs), and if you have bad luck there is no warm water coming out of the shower. The rooms have two bunk beds, so you share the room with three other people. It seems that a lot of them live there permanently, so it is not just a backpackers hostel. Also, if you decide to check out before your official check out date, you do not get your money back (I booked for two weeks, and checked out after one. I did not get anything back). Compared to the other hostels I have stayed in, this one was below average. To be honest, I would pick a different hostel if I could do it over again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bega, NSW, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I used to stay at this place regularly, as I enjoyed being in Glebe and easy access to all the bookshops. The rooms are plain but acceptable, the bathrooms work, there's parking under the building and it's inexpensive. Nothing to write home about but great if you just want a base for Sydney exploration on foot or by bus and want to spend your money on other treats...

However, the last time I stayed there I had my clothes stolen. I had put my (brand new, quite expensive) clothes in a wardrobe and, as a result of a real-life drama, forgotten them when checking out. As I was leaving the room, the housemaid (who'd been cleaning our room daily) asked me if I'd remembered everything... and I'd automatically replied 'yes' without really thinking.

A few hours later, still in Sydney, I'd remembered and phoned the hotel and spoken to the owner. She told me she couldn't check the room because there was already someone in there! I explained the situation (the expense! argh!) and she grudgingly said she'd knock on the door and ask the residents to check the cupboard. She came back to the phone and said they told her there were no clothes in the cupboard. She said she wasn't interested in discussing the matter further and hung up the phone!

As it was clearly a matter of theft, I made a complaint to the local police... and after contacting the hotel, they criticised the hotel's attitude but said they could do nothing without their co-operation. I let it go, but never returned to the hotel.

Staying in a hotel that couldn't care less about it's customers just promotes bad service and unhappy experiences. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're desperate... and who's that desperate in the big, bad city?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Baralaba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Location wise this hostel is brilliant- Glebe is a fantastic place to stay while in Sydney- there are cafes galore and lots of second hand book shops and every type of restaurant you could possibly want. You can walk to the city and Darling harbour and there are buses right outside the hostel too which only cost $2 to get into the CBD.
The hostel is kept clean but on first impressions it is dissapointing to say the least. The rooms are a lot smaller and more camped than we thought they would be. There is only a tiny window that opens so the room smells musty and stale..which also means after a while so do your clothes. Storage is ok in the rooms and you have a cupboard in the kitchen. Utensils are very basic- no colanders or graters or anything and we shared one knife between four of us for the three months we were there.
The biggest problem we had with this hostel was our room mates...the mangers take no time in considering who shares a room and consequently we were with a guy who was around 50 and had been in the room for a year and a half. We get on with everyone but this really did put a dampener on our stay.
Our air con didnt work for the whole time we stayed there despite being told it was "being fixed in 2 weeks time" every week- complaining about it did no good so we just made do with a plug in fan which did very little.
Reception staff are generally unhelpful, unapproachable and couldnt care less as long as you hand over rent each week.
Free laundry usage is great when you can get a free machine which is mostly during the week while everyone is out at work. Being free is a huge bonus though as most other hostels will charge at least $4 for the washing and another $4 for the dryer.
I wouldnt stay here again as we spent most weeks looking for other places to stay..but in saying that we couldnt find a cheaper option in Sydney so sort of got stuck there. Location wise its ideal and price wise its excellent...maybe next time i'd extend the budget though. Couldn't recommend staying in Glebe more though.

Room Tip: perhaps ask about the current room mates and that you have a room where the air con works.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I've had some time to consider writing this and have stayed in a couple of hostels since. All things considered, this hostel is the worst I have ever seen. I won't say 'stayed at' because we left without spending the night there. The rooms are far more filthy than the pictures would have you believe. Ours had large stains on the carpet, smelled of urine, had hundreds of cigarette butts jammed into the window sill, stained mattresses, the bathroom tiles looked like they had never been cleaned, several tiles were missing or broken and were sharp and dangerous, the television didn't work, the remote controls for the air conditioning and the television had no batteries and the fridge was filthy and smelled awful.

We had booked over the phone and paid when we had done that, but upon viewing the room we returned immediately to reception and asked for a refund as we decided not to stay. The staff refused to refund us and showed no concern for our distress over the state of the room. They said "well it's an old building and it's just a backpackers". Well to be honest, for the same price we could have stayed at the YHA which is a 5 star hotel compared to this place, the only reason we didn't stay there was that we couldn't get a booking. I decided that driving back to Canberra in the middle of the night would be preferable to risking my health and well being by sleeping in this place.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Oswaldtwistle, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This hostel has the potential to be wicked. Its in a fab location - Glebe is an awesome places, really quirky and cool. And its close to the city centre (just a 30min slow walk) and train station (10mins max). The facilities are fairly decent, the kitchen could so with a spruce and they need to seriously sort out some a/c in there coz in summer it gets stiffling. The rooms are good, the a/c and free interent are a brill feature for a cheap hostel. But after all that they are in complete denial about bedbugs. I stayed there for 3 months and after a month or so started noticing bites all over my body. Being a new traveller I thought it was just mozzies until the bites startd getting worse and worse. I told the manager about the bites and she just shrugged it off telling me that shed had bed bugs and there was no way my bites were due to them. She did change my matress thou and i went crazy with the bug spray. However the bugs were still biting and I even caught one crawling on my belly!! I told the manager and NOTHING! And as I was checking out I heard the manager talking on the phone saying that they had bed bugs in another property and so were moving all the tenants to Rooftop! This is just asking for trouble! Overall I had a good time here. some of the long term people there are complete idiots but I met a good bunch of people and apart from constantly itching I had a good time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rooftop Travellers Lodge? Share your experiences!