“Needs Updating!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aspire Hotel Sydney

You added Aspire Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Aspire Hotel Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   383-389 Bulwara Road, Sydney, New South Wales 2007, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Attractions Packag
Ranked #122 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
belfast
“Needs Updating!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as we thought it looked like a good location and also it seemed to get decent star ratings when we researched it. Firstly yes a good location only about 5-8 mins walk from darling harbour.To be honest after that i dont have anything great to say about it. The staff at reception are friendly enough but as soon as i walked in i felt no atmosphere. When we got to our room we were pretty disappointed. The two single beds both had the worst mattresses i think i have ever slept on and the pillows seemed to be the most basic pillows very uncomfortable. There was a big balcony but they dont even supply a table or chairs so that you can make use of it. The bathroom was clean but very tired looking and the towels that were supplied looked like they were ready for the bin. A mini fridge was in the room not much use did not work very well so asked reception if we could get some ice the answer was no we dont have any!!! The room was cleaned every day but one day we came back and they had made one bed and just decided not to bother doing the other. For anyone going to sydney on a LOW budget and not really concerned about the room or hotel facilities its a great location but i would NOT go back i would research and go elsewhere!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ricky R, Manager at Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your stay at Aspire Hotel Sydney.

I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of cleanliness and overall of your room during your stay.
This is obviously not up to the standard that i expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.
I would really appreciate it if you could contact me,if your feel inclined to do so. I would like to get some more information so i can make sure that this does not happen again,plus I also would like the opportunity to formally apologize.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

From the moment we arrived at this hotel we were totally disappointed. We booked through late rooms for a five night stay for 3 people. The so called king bed was simply two single beds pushed together and tucked in in the middle. The other two beds were fold out couches that were that uncomfortable we took the mattress off the couch and slept on them on the floor. The shower had mold on the roof and the height of the shower head meant that if you were anything over about 160cm you had to bend down to have a proper shower. Customer service was extremely average, when we checked in there was no offering of information on the area which you would generally receive, we also had problems with the room card not working, we asked one of the cleaners for assistance, got no response, just a grab of the card and an attempt to swipe. There are far better hotels in the Sydney area and I'm just glad that the next hotel we booked into for the later half of the trip was far better and made for a more memorable trip. I for one will not be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I am naturally quite disappointed and concerned by your comments on the quality of cleanliness of your room during your stay.

Murrumbateman, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Tucked away within spitting distance of the Powerhouse Museum and a five minute walk to the Entertainment Centre, this place is a little gem. It is not a fancy hotel, however it is clean, quiet and so close to everything. We walked to the Rocks through Darling Harbour (a fairly long walk, but plenty to look at along the way!), strolled to Paddy's Market and Chinatown. And, given we were going to see Carole King at the Entertainment Centre, the five minute walk was perfect. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

The staff and I at the Aspire Hotel Sydney would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on the property and we appreciate your kind feedback.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you again at the hotel the next time you visit Sydney.
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. we stayed from march1-4, 2013.
Area- if a diversity of people bothers you, this is not your stop. close to chinatown and a diverse college community. we felt very safe at all times.
Hotel- It seems there is a remodeling going on and the hotel has joined a group of Australian hotels. The room was fantastic. Clean and very well maintained. there was enough hot water to burn your skin and the AC froze us. Anything we requested, was at our room in minutes. the staff was courteous and accommodating. They called cabs and restaurants for us. We paid 144 dollars per night including fees, while our friend in the Rocks area paid 365 dollars per night. Your choice there!
Attractions- Just a 7 minute walk to the darling harbor. The harbor has activities every day and is loaded with stores and restaurants- even a hard rock cafe. Fantastic at night. Area is a college area so there are many coffee shops and cafes. You can task the monorail or bus to other areas. Paddys market is just around the corner.
We are very happy that some of the earlier reviews did not scare us off. this was a great place to stay for the price. We would highly recommend this hotel. It is a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room overlooking marys park and the city
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

The quiet and convenient location of our property is something which preferred especially by guests who have events to attend in the nearby area. We are currently looking into a gradual refurbishment of the hotel, and we hope to further provide guests with more comfortable stays. I am glad that the staff were able to help you with your requests and I will be sure to pass on your comment to our staff.

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed Feb. 6 - 16 2013 and originally were checked into the 4th floor. There was a large roach on the wall when I woke up around 7 or 8am after the first night. I smashed it with a small book (those smaller, pocket size travel books are not just good for taking around in your pocket, they also will assist in this way, too), and left it in a glass on the counter, with the napkin I cleaned the book off with.

Around 7:30 or so that evening, we spotted another large roach crawling along above the mini fridge/closet area, on a piece of wooden trim that created a small ledge for it. In trying to get this one, part of it was unrecoverable, lost into the area underneath the track for the sliding closet door, but a large piece of it was recovered, still quite alive, and brought downstairs on a room complimentary magazine.

The desk staff was superb -- Sandra was the name of the young girl who moved us to the floor most recently treated with insecticide. At that time, the 2nd floor. She also brought us full size bottles of red and white wine on ice and was a very nice, competent employee.

Daniel is another who was helpful throughout ten nights at the hotel; we never saw another roach, though we looked very hard. The floors are done one per week, Sandra had said, so we advise asking for a room on the floor most recently treated for roaches.

Otherwise, a clean room, a/c was freezing cold and difficult to make a comfortable temperature without it being warm, so we opted for freezing cold. One time, soon after getting the 2nd floor room, the a/c was not working, and they sent a workman up promptly, who was super nice and fixed it quickly. Just a few easy blocks from Central Station, which is the best subway/transit stop to use, rather than waiting at Central for a tram out to Paddy's Market just to save a few blocks. Not a bad move if you have tons of luggage, but otherwise, a very short, easy walk down Broadway to the left/west of central station, then across the street and up Harris on your right for three blocks; take Mary Ann on the left, and one block up on the right is Bulwara, with the little park and hotel beyond it on the left.

Super convenient to Paddy's Market, where there are super cheap food deals to be had: babaganoush or hummus with fresh Lebanese bread for under $6 total; fresh fruits, vegetables and lots more food along with the best tourist/souvenir prices in town.

Darling Harbour is super cool to hang out in, but the restaurants way overpriced and so is the IMAX, but... look for folks in front of the IMAX selling vouchers for less. The tickets are usually $31, and we payed $40 for a pair. Look for them to approach you as you look at the movie listing sign at street level near the door to the stairs up to the IMAX (which is on the second floor).

Free wireless is hard to come by there. McDonalds had it, though, by Paddys/Ent. Centre. Also Holiday Inn offered limited wifi there. McD's your best bet.

So overall, the location is great, some of the staff excellent, but... would be so apprehensive of sleeping there unless assured I was on the most recently treated floor. Those things were huge, and were deep in the room, nowhere near windows or doors out to the balcony. Super unsettling to lay eyes on that first thing in the morning, cruising up the wall. Even more jarring at 7:30 or so at night. Super unsettling.

But Sandra was great, and her response to the roaches was totally professional and heartfelt, and additionally, Daniel took a genuine interest in our trip, and these things count. They made us feel at home. So in no way would I give this hotel a bad review, but have to be honest how uncool the roach thing is. The balconies are huge, but there is no furniture. Bringing it out from the room was the answer, as the balconies are awesome!

Room Tip: Remember to ask for the floor where the rooms have most recently been treated/sprayed for cockroache...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ricky R, Manager at Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologise for the delayed response.

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Aspire Hotel Sydney in Feb' 13. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and could walk around the CBD area during your stay.

I was also concerned to learn of the room's overall condition and the issue you had in the room. This is definitely unacceptable and does not reflect our cleaning standards, Please be assured that we have passed your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper to follow up on this incident.

The Hotel has a program in place which focuses on improvements being made to our highly used rooms to ensure it is well maintained and looked after as well as upholding our three and a half star standard.

This is obviously not up to the standard that I expect. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused during your stay.

Kind Regards,
Shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

A stay in this ultra-shabby establishment causes a life-time regret in your mind, I assured you.

Rooms are extremely tired. Why rooms? Because my first room did not work on the air-con side, and there were golf-ball-sized suspicious stains of liquid on the sofas (oh, so old and feeble). A male staff member agreed to offer another room for me. Then another nightmare. The quilt in the second room was found to bear blood spots in its content!!! And it felt even colder in the second room than in the first one. Air-conditioners did not work, either.

The bathroom looks two centuries old. Very tiny commode. Unbelievably ancient-looking tub. The color mixture just reminds you of a deserted hut in a just-bombed slum. Yes, it does.

The lobby needs immediate renovation. The elevators are so stained that your eyes struggle to open for directions, even if it is just a few second’s ride up or downstairs.

Glass doors to the balcony do not close tightly. Once it is windy outside, you hear the creaking sounds of gusty wind all night.

Most ironically, the only positive side of this property is its facade, which looks like a nice hotel. Once you check in, you know how wrong you have been.

This hotel caused a permanent mental scar in my mind. Thereafter I stay in nice hotel only.

Room Tip: Avoid EVERY room, for your own good!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ricky R, General Manager at Aspire Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would really appreciate it if you could contact me, if your feel inclined to do so. I would like to get some more information so I can make sure that this does not happen again, plus I also would like the opportunity to formally apologize.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

after booking into a Hostel not fit for dogs we found ourselves here. the staff were friendly, the room was clean and the beds comfy, its close to Chinatown and right near a tourist bus route if that's your thing, I would say its over priced for what it is and could do with a bit of a revamp... but I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Been to Aspire Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!