“Great hotel, but misses the five star mark.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of QT Sydney

You added QT Sydney to your Saves list
QT Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Market Street | Cnr Market and George Streets, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel, but misses the five star mark.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I really wanted to give QT five stars, purely because they provide free Wi-Fi - unlike so many other hotels - but I didn't quite feel like I had a five star experience.

The location is fantastic, but you really don't want to drive here. We arrived by train so no issues with parking. Rooms are very well appointed and full of interesting design features. Bed very soft - so I'm not sure how I would have felt after a few days. But for one night it was perfect.

HOWEVER Service was a bit hit and miss. Every time I entered the hotel the red wigged concierge seemed to be gossiping to colleagues. It's a fun place to work I suppose.

I had booked directly with the hotel, over the phone, and had been required to pay a deposit. However when I checked in no record of the deposit could be found. This was dealt with in a very clumsy way - "oh why don't you just check when you leave that the deposit has been found". Not very reassuring, especially when $200 is held on your credit card and not refunded until 9 days after check out.

I also had a couple of treatments at the QT Spa. The Hammam-inspired steam room was un-inspiring, and the seats are designed in such a way that you end up sitting in a giant puddle if you switch on the rain shower. The receptionist had no idea what to charge me for my treatments, and I ended up standing around for 10 minutes waiting for the manager to process my payment.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi GobblerMC,

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know the details of your stay. It sounds like the hotel itself and free wifi were dressed to impress, but some service issues and a puddly hammam let us down.

We take your comments seriously and know that your even handed review is designed to assist both ourselves and other travellers.

We'll be taking it to the team and making the necessary changes. Hope to see you again soonest.

A traveler without observation is a bird without wings – Moslih Eddin Saadi.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Who said business travel had to be boring? If you are looking for a stylish, fun, quirky boutique hotel in the heart of the action in Sydney, look no further than the QT in Market St.
It's a stone's throw from the shops (Zara!) and dining options (Laduree!) at Westfield Sydney and has a sense of fun and personality so often lacking in the big chain hotels.
The colourful hotel staff and greeters look like they've wandered in from a show at the State Theatre and there's an impressive collection of vintage luggage in the foyer.
Part of the hotel is apparently in the shell of the old Gowings department store and there's a decidedly heritage/butcher shop feel about the stairwells.
But let's get to the room; what a treat. Mine had two double beds and the best stocked mini-bar I've ever seen with everything from snacks and a Nespresso machine to Pick up Sticks and an emergency bowtie kit.
The designer black granite bathroom with splashes of coloured glass, rain shower and a deep oval bath...made me wish I had such an amazing bathroom to go home to.
Make sure to spend some time in the lifts...solo muzak ("Are You Lonesome Tonight" I think?) if you're travelling up alone switches to "Just the Two of Us" or "It Takes Two" if someone else gets in (yes could get awkward).
Gowings Bar and Grill had a great range of gourmet options for breakfast. The hotel's location makes it ideal for business or those on a city shopping or eating trip but perhaps not a summer holiday if a pool is on the checklist.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi tvaddict2211,

Lover of TV and QT - we are going to become fast friends. Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you loved your stay. It's so awesome when business travellers (especially Senior Contributors) who really give the travel scene a good nudge give us an awesome review!

We hope to see you again next time you are in town.

To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world – Freya Stark.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband surprised me for my 40th birthday with a night at QT and it was a really great stay.
The ambiance is cool and funky starting with the pink haired door women to the hands that hold your room number on the wall.
All the staff we encountered were friendly, efficient and accommodating.
We went to the Gowings bar and grill for both lunch and breakfast which was all delicious, I loved the pot of South Australian mussels.
The toiletteries supplied are all surprisingly nice. I usually never use the products supplied by a hotel as they often dry my hair etc but as I had forgotten my shampoo I used the ones supplied and I was happy.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for couples wanting to escape the monotony of the everyday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear past QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel. I booked through last minute.com and saved hundred dollars a night. I have been dying to see what this place was like.
If you arrive by car its not easy. You have pull over in front of threate and concierge is very prompt and takes your car away. It's on busy one way street so it's drop and go. There doesn't seem to be specific loading zone. Service is outstanding curb side. Taxi is best to this hotel.

Reception located a few levels up from street level and does not scream hotel lobby but more like a funky bar. I was unable to check in hour early so I had to wait which was a bummer.

I used the bathrooms near reception and three hookers were in there. It was kind of shocking as they were just hanging out in the ladies room talking about the latest conquest. They were tall black women and I had ask them to move so I get into bathroom.

Anyhow back to hotel, checked in to room, however very heavily scented and my eyes were watering so I called down and they moved me to another room which was fine.
The rooms are urban cool with low light levels. Funky mini bar with unique items to purchase.
In room dining was outstanding however, no breakfast inroom dining.
I didn't like this so I skipped breakfast. Nespresso machine for coffee in the rooms.

The location is excellent for shopping with Myer and Westfield across the street and it's safe location for female traveller.

In the room I found hard that could not turn up the lights so I had put my makeup on near the window. I also could find my dark clothes in the closet. I really hated this.
Movies on TV are unlimited so that is nice touch.
Service was great from concierge to reception.
Hotel bar is awesome and unique.
It's quite in the rooms and beds A++++ I love a great bed with nice linen.

I travel all the time to Sydney but I have to say the car thing was difficult for me and lighting was annoying. I would recommend for fun weekend visit to Sydney as I think you have a blast but for business not so much.

On another note loved how the staff were dressed! I really noticed that touch. Cool to say the least.

Also I found it hard carrying my luggage up flight steps to elevators very hard as I just had surgery on foot. It's old building that has been converted so layout is awkward to the lifts. I did notice a lift on second day but I'm not sure that went to the side of building I was staying on.??

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and new.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear QT Sydney guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I'm here at the moment, the last night of a six night stay for work. The hotel itself is lovely, and the staff are amazing, they just can't do enough for you. BUT - after checking in and settling in to watch Wimbledon, I noticed several channels just weren't working, reception was dropping in and out. They came up to try and fix it, and couldn't, so I was moved to a new room. Same problem. I was told it was 'because of the wind' and would be fixed the next day. Hmmm, six nights later and no change, no Wimbledon, damn! I know, I should have been out and about, but after really long working days, I just wanted to snuggle in bed with room service and Rafael Nadal. So that pretty much ruined my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear QT Sydney guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights very recently (May 2014). Had a great time - the decor in the rooms was very boutiquey and eclectic; and the soaps/products were quite unique. For those who know Sydney, it's located in the old Downer department store building, and accentuates the building's history throughout in a very cool way. Location (middle of the CBD) was also a plus. Downside was no other facilities (no pool, no gym), but all in all, fine for a quick stay in the city. Good value for money too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear past QT Sydney guest,

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My second stay at QT. Position perfect. The hotel is visually enjoyable… unique… It’s attached to an outstanding restaurant which I recommend you book ahead. Staff are attentive and professional. The hotel and rooms are decorated in a very original and funky style. However, I won’t be staying again. Their beds and pillows are super soft and once again I didn’t sleep well. I asked if I could request a harder bed but it seems that these beds are especially made for the hotel. My search for a decent Sydney hotel continues. Sydney is lacking!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Ann G,

Thanks for your review. Sounds as though we were perfect, apart from offering a softer bed and pillow than makes for a comfy nights sleep for you.

Such a shame that we don't match up on this for you! We really hit the mark in everything else.

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention - Oscar Wilde.

QT

Been to QT Sydney? Share your experiences!