“A Little Nutty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QT Sydney

You added QT Sydney to your Saves list
QT Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Market Street | Corner of Market and George Streets, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #8 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Tamworth
“A Little Nutty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Awesome, Quirky, Fun. Great idea done well. Best beds in Sydney.

Guys, if you want somewhere a little special to take your wife or girl that is totally different from anything else, then don't look any further. Valet parking if you drive, Pitt st mall is across the road. Restaurants and entertainment is just a short stroll.

We will be back, but for pleasure next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
HeyJCRTamworth,

You loved it! Yes, we are a little nutty. In an arty sorta way. Glad you appreciated it and hope to see you with your lady friend when you are back in town.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Words escape me to accurately describe this unique hotel and to adequate do it justice. I have travelled extensively for work and have become rather ho hum to "5 star" and takes a bit to impress as most place are pretty much standard! Well QT challenges that! I have never ever had a hotel experience like it! Whilst it teters on the edge of tacky it is all held together by very very clever design, exceptional customer service and absolute quality and it works and works exceptionally well!. As far as a hotel on business I am not sure that I would specifically chose this if I needed to attend to more than just checking emails as the environment is just not conducive to work one because it is just too dark and two it is far too cool and fun to work in. It really takes you to a different place and a place work just doesn't fit!. Having the Nespresso was great but would be good if more milk than just a small UHT was provided but with Coles on the next corner it was ok! The bed and pillows were the most amazing I have ever ever experienced. As the mother of a 21 year old I have often wondered what would happen to those kids that were a little on the eccentric arty side that as teenagers always seemed to be on the edge of convention well here they are made their mark in a big way on convention and is teaching convention and traditional 5 star hotels how to put the EX into exceptional!! Well done!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hi Kay M,

Amazing review Kay! That was a really fun read. You captured the essence of what we are striving to achieve for every guest who stays with us so well. We should get you to write a mission statement for us!

Given that you travel a lot we hope to see you again really soon when you are next in town.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for a while. I stayed here in July on business and absolutely loved this hotel.

It was a real treat to be in such a vibrant and stylish environment - a million times better than the beige boxes we are usually dispatched to when travelling on business.

I loved the décor, and the music in the lift really cracked me up. The moody dark hallways with hands coming out of the wall may not be for everyone but I LOVED it. It was a bit like being on the set of the Rocky Horror Show (in a good way). The hotel is also in an excellent location in close proximity to great shops, bars and restaurants.

The room was beautifully decorated, with an extremely comfortable bed and a beautiful free-standing bath – pure luxury. I visited the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and both meals were excellent. There was also a really good selection of wines by the glass. When travelling alone it can sometimes feel a bit weird sitting on your own in a restaurant, but this wasn’t the case here. The staff were extremely nice and didn’t make me feel like “Nigel no mates”.

I didn’t have time to check out the spa for any treatments but I was given the grand tour by a very helpful and cheerful member of staff (just can’t remember her name). The spa is gorgeous and I will definitely book in next time.

The only downside to this trip was housekeeping. I’m hoping this is a one-off so haven’t marked them down. On arrival at the hotel the room was absolutely spotless and a credit to the staff. However, on returning to my room the next day, the bed hadn’t been made and the cushions had been chucked on the floor. In the bathroom, the cleaner had half cleaned the bathroom and abandoned the cleaning materials on the bathroom vanity. It looked a bit like they’d been called away and just forgot to come back. Not the end of the world but a little surprising.
In general, the staff were very professional, friendly and welcoming, and I would highly recommend this hotel. I would absolutely love to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hey AuklandLulu,

Oh nooooo! After such an amazing review, so sad to see that housekeeping note on the end. Thanks so much for being kind, and I absolutely trust it to be a once off hiccup in an otherwise wonderful staff.

That aside, thank you for such a gorgeous review on staff and decor and I am so delighted that you got to experience Gowings Bar and Grill. Would be so great for you to enjoy spaQ next time you are in house. It really is a magical experience.

Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

QT Sydney is not your normal hotel, from the pink-wigged girls at the front door to the holographic images in the hallways to room numbers displayed on cards held by hands protruding from the door frames. We stayed there 6 months ago and it has taken me this long to sort out my opinion of the place. Our room had a window facing the side of another building and the interior design of QT is clever in compensating for lack of views by making the rooms very quirky and unique. That said, they let themselves down a little by forgetting to replace the bathrobes in our room but the hot water didn't work for the spectacular looking bath anyway, which was a pity. The dining room was also very trendy and impressive. QT is unlike any other hotel I have stayed in and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm really undecided about whether I would want to stay again because my lasting impression is of darkness, but I'm glad I experienced my stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hi cathrob1,

Thanks so much for your review. Sounds like you had a great stay apart from a plumbing issue (heritage listed buildings = constant pipe upkeep) and us forgetting to put the robes in room. I have not heard this one happen before so I am very sorry you were the unlucky once off for this one. They are so comfy!

Glad you loved the quirks of the design and the building. The design team are magic!

We hope you do choose to stay again. Each side of the hotel is very different in terms of the design aesthetic. Well worth a look!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked 5 nights accommodation for our wedding at the QT Hotel on the recommendation of a work colleague's son who worked in hospitality. This hotel had opened a year after I'd moved from Sydney to Melbourne so I'd never heard of it.
Sited in the old Gowings building on Market St, and extremely centrally located to Town Hall Station, David Jones and the new Westfield, this was a find-of-the-century! The hotel is electically decorated in a New York style, with a nod to its retailer origins with each hotel floor featuring different fittings, such as mannequin legs etc. The lift plays dance music which changes depending on the floor you enter and the number of guests, too! The QT Guest Lounge has a range of different mid-century chairs and sofas and lots of interesting objets d'art to look at.
We were given a wonderful corner room (816) which looked at the Queen Victoria Building and featured a groovy lit wall feature, terrific bed, blockout curtains, black-slate walled bathroom with freestanding bath and rainfall shower, free wifi, free a la carte breakfast and helpful staff at all times. For my pre-wedding night, I booked room 314 for me and my best friend which had twin queen beds and a bathtub and separate loo with an opaque glass door. Not wanting a late night despite all the restaurant choices in the city, we had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant downstairs. On our last morning, actress Rachel Griffiths was having breakfast there.
We booked our post-wedding party in the Pink Room which was a huge hit with everyone being impressed with this fantastic hotel, even if a few people did say it was not obvious from the street.
We will definitely book this for future trips to Sydney.
If there is one teensy downside it is the price of the valet parking which is $70 but we discovered you can park for $25 at the Harbourside Car Park behind Darling Harbour and simply walk across Pyrmont Bridge up to Market St.
Be warned, the hotel's proximity to so many great shops makes this a bit of a wealth hazard to your credit card!

Room Tip: Corner suites get more light. Choose a room away from the lifts which play disco music.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hello visitrequisites, my new fave reviewers!

Gotta love that review title. Made us very happy campers. Happy marriage to you! So delighted you got to spend your post-wedding indulgence time with us. QT Sydney certainly fits the bill when it comes to the perfect place to get your couple time on.

The pink room in Gilt Lounge is an awesome place to party. You really feel like a VIP in there with the curtains closed and the hostesses ducking in and out with drinks. Very fancy!

Ha! Completely agree with you on the shopping area. I have been known to loose myself on Pitt Street from time-to-time (every week lol).

Hope to see you again soonest. You sound fun. Maybe for your wedding anniversary. Also - yes, the parking is a premium in the city. V pricey.

Fingal, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just had a great stay at the QT....So quirky I really loved the gorgeous gals out the front who directed us to the lifts. The foyer is amazing staff were really genuine and friendly. The rooms are great really spacious and well appointed. Loved that we could mix a cocktail as we were getting ready to go out ! Freshly brewed coffee in the morning excellent. Location is perfect we did all our shopping with out having to get taxis or walk blocks. Cannot wait to return !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Yes the hotel is Funky and quirky appealing to the designer in people. This is the hotels feature to differentiate itself and compensate for lack of spectacular views. Our view was not spectacular but nice over looking the QVB on the Gowings side of the building (level 6). We had a room with the bath and the size and quality was impressive. The room comes with free coffee pods and in room movies.

The bed was the greatest (and probably most important) disappointment. I didn't know what a Zipper Bed was, it is two king singles put together and a layer put on top. Problem was that one was soft and the other was even softer. It was like a wall in the middle, which is not good for a couple wanting some fun.

The Gowings restaurant continues the funky theme and the setting is really cool. Unfortunately the steak was not evenly cooked (I don't even know how a chef could do that) but I ate it anyway. The desert made up for it and the cocktails afterwards, which were expensive but nice.

The cafe downstairs was good and we had a reasonably priced breakfast there instead of the restaurant. The hotel is well located for shopping at Pitt St and the QVB but a bit far from the Quay.

We would stay again but would request a proper King bed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple