“No fuss. Not fussed.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Newcastle, Australia
“No fuss. Not fussed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a dorm, parents stayed in a private for a week.

My experience: aside from the odd messy roommate or two, my dorm had the necessities. Mildly surprised to find an individual bedside lamp and powerpoint.

Kitchen's handy - especially given my Mum managed to do some baking during our stay!

Can't be bothered typing about my parents' stay but they've stayed with Billabong twice since our first stay - saves money, social environment and they can cook their own meals if needed...but Newtown's a glutton's dream anyway. :)

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have been traveling for long time and this by far the worst hostel.
The rooms are very small dark with smell of feet no place for you own belongings bathroom is stinky and full of junk and bed bugs. Basically someone live there for long time and left the place to rotten and no one bother to clean after.
The kitchen is the same smelly very Dirty and the fridge not cold at all.
The staff was very unfriendly and when i wanted to cancel/ upgrade to privet room there policy doesn't approve it which make no sense. Tryed to talk with the owner haico and he as well like a broken record. Just want your money and you stuck in this filthy jail looking hostel. This is disgrace to charge this amount of money for this filthy unfriendly noisy small dark hostel wouldn't pay a dollar for this place. Be aware don't go there.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I had an unexpected trip to Sydney to see a very sick relative in the Royal Prince Albert hospital. I booked here cause the hotel is within walking distance. I wasn't expecting a 5-star accommodation place - not for $99 a night in Central Sydney - but what we did get well surpassed my expectations. The room was clean and bright with a lovely balcony overlooking the little lane which was a nice quiet place to be after a hospital visit. The receptionist asked when I arrived what brought me to Sydney and when I explained, she went out of their way to provide maps on where the hospital was and even asked after my relative when I returned later that night. I was impressed with the level of genuine hospitality and concern. I was also very grateful to the staff for shutting the whole communal area down - which they do every night at 11pm - cause I was concerned the place might just be just another boozy hostel. Instead, it had a really nice professional mix with a social drinking and smoking area by the pool and a quiet place to sleep at night. In my view, Billabong Gardens has managed to do what so little places in big cities are capable of - creating the right balance between catering for travelers - who sometimes want to stay up late and party - and private guests, like myself, who were really not in the mood. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Private balcony rooms are lovely especially on those hot humid nights.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Dont know why there are so many bad reviews here, we have been here a while now and wouldnt move. We made great friends, met interesting people and the majority are friendly! We had movie nights in the communal lounge, and dinner around the large garden table, pool side with chill out music.

As for people saying its dirty, again I dont know why. Cleaners are in every morning to clean rooms, beds, toilets, kitchen,etc. They also clean the kitchen and patio at night when everyone goes to bed.

Staff are great fun and very helpful, and always sort problems out promptly.

Wifi is slow in some places but has worked everywhere for me. Its also cheap at $2 for 500mb! Its lasts ages for browsing.

The laundry is really quick and handy, and reasonable too considering the loads you can fit are big.

Kitchen is big and clean with 2 stoves to cook with a grill/oven. Toaster,kettle, microwave, and hot water. You have your own food boxes which we found great instead of having to search for your stuff. All utensils are provided and your own set of crockery/cutlery.

showers and toilets, clean and working.

rooms are clean, and housekeeping comes each morning. You have storage, your own blankets and bedlight.

We loved the communal lounge with 3 computers and free internet, couches and flat screen t.v with a huge selection of vhs and dvds. They also have lots of books. They have fans and sliding patio doors to keep cool.

The pool is really nice with leafy plants and chairs around. The have beautiful lights and a great filter so its always clean.

It can be loud here at times but never over board, and you have to remember, working or travelling, most people are here to enjoy Australia, make friends, and live life!

We would recommend it and we are enjoying our stay!

• Stayed March 2014
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The worst, terrible in all the aspects!
Go here only if you are a dirty, rude and mean.
Terrible people at the reception, the staff is really bad, racist, snob and thet don't care about you.
THE MATTRESS WERE FULL OF BED BUGS INSECTS! FULL! not only mine, but many others. everyone there is gay and they use to flirt and have sex in the room...light open until 5 am in the rooms,, the people lives there for months, they are unfriendly with you - you're not welcomed.
I've seen girls coming after drugs, alcohol and gay sex in the same room where you are. the guest are absolutly the worst dirty and rude people. I've been there for 1 week - terrible. but the worst is the staff at the reception - rude and mean, really racist and bad people. be careful.
Very dirty, I repeat, with BED BUGS IN THE MATTRESS (I've seen them and there were many girls complaining about the red things on their skin due to the insects)
WIfi doesn't work properly...
TERRIBLE people, worst staff, dirty and full of insects. do not book!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: run away from here!!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Fernie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The rooms are just horrendous for the price. Dirty, dark and drab, we had a double room which was located in the house next to the main hostel. Barred window, everything stained. For $40 I'd be stoked, for $80 I was horrified!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was expecting Billabong Gardens to be a quiet, very clean hostel with their rooms filled with working holiday makers, so I felt lucky there was availability when I called. I booked for one week.

What I did find on arrival was a dingy, old, crumbling poorly lit building complete with a rat-sized hole in the wall in the corridor outside my room. My room was an explosion of the other guest's belongings and the wifi promised to be in every room throughout the hostel did not reach mine. My bag was soon moved by another girl because she didn't want it there.

After choosing a bottom bunk a girl soon came in without introducing herself and asked if she could swap beds, she was on a top bunk and worked full-time and found it difficult to climb from the top bunk in the dark every morning. I felt I couldn't say no and agreed to swap.

Later that evening, on the top bunk I heard the girl beneath me brag to another girl in the room that she had taken a girl back on a night out and had sex with her in the room. She apologised for waking some of the other girls up, "but" she said "I really needed to get laid."

Not a good first night. And I can see now why that other girl wanted to swap beds with me. Great.

The beds were okay, although mine had one of those hellish dips which prevents any comfortable sleeping position and just feels like I just slept on a lumpy sofa. I had to fight for a place in the fridges to put my stuff where there's not enough room accommodate the amount of people staying here. The hostel doesn't leave cups/plates in the kitchen and you do have to ask for these at reception where you are given your own set you're responsible for.

The toilets and showers were quite frankly dire. The shower had little power so washing my hair took a long time and it didn't feel clean. I regularly walk round bare feet indoors but found the bottom of my feet would be as black as soot if I did this walking around the hostel.

The second night I was woken up by the girl beneath me who had brought back a girl again. Without beating around the bush, pun unintended, they inevitably got down to business keeping me awake for the next few hours and moving the bed with their passion.

Still awake around 3am a girl had come back from work and turned her reading light on to pack her stuff. During the break in their lovemaking, one of the girls opened her makeshift curtain and called out to the other girl "nice day at work?!", as you do, when you're totally naked post-sex.

There was no contact at reception to resolve this nightmare situation so I wasn't able to complain until the morning.

And when I did, the reception guy came and told both of the girls to get out of the building immediately.

The pair was confused on how reception knew, so I owned up and told the girls it was me. Immediately, the girl who had been brought back to the hostel flipped out at me, swearing at me and saying I came from a stupid country - which was funny, because the girl she came back with was actually from the same country as me.

She then told me it was normal in Australia for couples to shag in dorm rooms and that I needed to grow up. (Is this normal?) I'd been in Australia for other a month and never encountered this before which I told her but she fell back onto calling me a profanities again.

I left the room for a little while and came to the decision to leave the hostel as no other feature was making me want to stay there. I asked the same reception guy if I could get a refund from that day and he rudely replied telling me I would have to get my stuff and leave within the next 10 minutes - without giving a reason for this.

I gladly got my stuff together and noticed although the girls weren't in the room their stuff still was, so she clearly wasn't making an attempt to leave.

I got my stuff and made my exit and wrapped myself in the relief of leaving this hellhole.

DISCLAMER: I know a lot of these problems with the roommates are not the fault of the hostel. This is a review which does include my opinion of the facilities but also a helpful insider tip that if you're thinking of staying here then you could be sharing a room with the kind of people above. I am not homophobic and I would still have a problem with a heterosexual couple having sex in the same room I am trying to sleep in. Additionally, if you still decide you want to come here but then change your mind and want to leave, like I did, then prepare for a swift exit, I may as well have been kicked out.

Room Tip: Go for a private room - like the couple should have done.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Billabong Gardens? Share your experiences!