“Not your ordinary wine tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 415 Activities in Sydney
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Your host is Richard Everett, the only Oenologist (or winemaker) conducting a small group or private wine tour of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. His guests get a unique behind the scenes insight into how the best wines of the Hunter Valley are made, with private guided tastings of the top wines at the best & most interesting of the 140+ wineries. Richard conducts the wine tastings, not the sales staff at the wineries, so you are spared the heavy sales pitch of their commercial wines & get to experience many wines not offered to the general public. Morning tea is at the famous Peppers Guesthouse & lunch is at the award winning Muse Cafe. Tours are available ex Sydney or from within the Hunter Valley.
London, United Kingdom
“Not your ordinary wine tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Went on this tour with a couple of friends expecting to do the usual stop at a few wineries and try a few wines. This was a more intimate tour than I have experienced previously. While all the regular tour groups are doing the traditional tasting at the cellar door. We were able to experience a private tasting room at one of the great wineries in the Hunter Valley including back vintages. The tour guides knowledge of the wines was exceptional. The food on the tour was great, a quick cake in the morning at a nice cottage and then lunch at an amazing restaurant. Will be going again when I visit Australia next.

Visited May 2011
Richard E, Owner at Wine Country Tours, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thanks Tony for your enthusiastic posting. I look forward to hosting you & your friends again next year, with further private guided wine tastings at the very best & most interesting of the 140+ wineries in the Hunter Valley.

Belfast, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“great experience, highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Although we booked this tour planning to join a small group, on the actual day (the week before Christmas) my husband and daughter and I were the only participants. The day was great from start to finish. Richard made us feel very relaxed and conversation flowed easily. In fact I have never heard my husband talk for so many hours to a stranger in the 26 years we have been married!
The winery visits were outstanding as was Richards knowledge of the subject matter and the general area.
Morning coffee was provided at a stunningly beautiful venue and we caught our first up- close sight of local wildlife with kangaroos lying under the hedges in the garden. Its was breathtaking !
We then traveled onward and began the more serious task of learning about wine tasting. Given that we were complete novices who whilst highly skilled at drinking wine could only recognize which wine was 'white' and which was 'red' we were somewhat anxious. However, Richard was superb and gently initiated us into the world of wine tasting. He also proved himself a great photographer, taking our camera and snapping many photos of us enjoying the day.
All in all it was a great day and truly made the holiday. I can only recommend the Wine Country Tours for their great service from initial booking to the relaxed and knowledgeable hosting on the day of the event. Great service I would score as 'five star'. Great value for money ! .

Visited December 2011
Richard E, Owner at Wine Country Tours, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Hi Linda, thanks for your kind feedback. See what lots of good wine does to loosen Alan's tongue!
Mountainside, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“A fun, informative tour - what an amazing day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Every step of our Wine Country Tour was amazing. From the minute we booked until Richard dropped us off at our hotel in Sydney, we couldn't have asked for anything more. I would recommend Richard's tour to anyone staying in Sydney and looking for a day trip to Hunter Valley.

Richard's tours are not the typical bus ride from winery to winery. He gauges your knowledge of wine, and tailors the day to make sure you get the most out of your tour. He gives you an intimate look into the history, process, and (of course) the tasting of Hunter Valley wines. His knowledge of Australian wine is seemingly endless, and is eager to share his wealth of information with you.

The day begins with Richard picking you up at your hotel early in the morning. His van is comfortable for the ride to Hunter Valley where your first stop is for breakfast at a beautiful local inn, on the veranda overlooking the rolling fields with the local wildlife (more kangaroos than we saw on our safari tour!) The second stop was Tyrrell's winery where we got and up-close and personal walk-through of the wine making process. After the tour, it's time to taste! Richard walks you through different varieties, and teaches you about each wine, it's flavors, and how it ages. Afterwards Richard guided us to Muse, the restaurant at Hungerford Hill for a delicious gourmet lunch, and a pop quiz on what we learned that morning (I FAILED!) Then, more tasting of Hungerford Hill wines before the trip back to Sydney.

We could not have asked for a better day in Hunter Valley, and we have Richard to thank for it. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions!

Richard, I'm sorry. I tried, but I still don't fully understand Cricket. I suppose it will always be a mystery to me...maybe it's better that way!

Visited January 2012
Richard E, Owner at Wine Country Tours, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thanks Greg for your kind thoughts ...... as regards you 'failing' the guess the grape variety game, don't worry, its easily remedied by lots more practice! Cheers, Richard.
NYC
“Richard Everett is a superb host and extremely knowledgeable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

If you enjoy wine and good food Richard is the man

Visited May 2011
Thanks ..... good food & wine are essentials of a good life!
Salisbury, Maryland, United States
“Customized, personal, knowledgable, and fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We discovered Richard and Wine Country Tours on our first trip to Australia. Without much familiarity with Hunter Valley wine region, my husband and I were not sure how to explore the area. We were reluctant to take a motor coach tour, which we thought would be mostly a dash from sales room to sales room, I spotted Richard's tour on-line and it sounded like an excellent option. It was one of the best experiences of our entire trip.

There was just one other couple on the tour. On our way from Sydney to the Hunter valley, Richard found out about of wine experiences and knowledge and built the day around that. It was far more than a tour of wineries and their tasting rooms. The emphasis was on learning more about wines and enjoying them than on selling or seeing how many places we could visit in a day.

We went to one of the oldest wineries in Australia, where he took us on a private tour and then took us to a private tasting area where he gave us a 2-hour course in wine tasting. We then went to a second winery for lunch, where he tested us by ordering our wines and having us identify them. It was a grand mix of education and fun. We returned to our hotel slightly besotted, with several bottles of wine in our luggage (and in us). Along the way, we learned a lot about the Australian wine industry and its history and about what's happening in the wine industry around the world.

If you are planning a visit to Hunter Valley, this is the way to go!

Visited November 2011
Thanks Fran for your feedback. As you experienced, wine is my life long passion & I greatly enjoy sharing what I can with my guests.