“The hotel was posh enough, but room was so small.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

You added Sofitel Sydney Wentworth to your Saves list
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61-101 Phillip St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #47 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Hong Kong, China
“The hotel was posh enough, but room was so small.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel to stay for 4 nights. The hotel is in a good location, very closed to the ferry pier, opera house and sydney bridge. This hotel was posh enough with lots of excellent histories and even some royals from UK visited too.

We had the club facility which was good and the services was excellent there with good food and drinks too.

However, the room was rather small. It was not that comfortable and the electric socket had problems in my room. It burnt my laptop and my laptop could not be fixed anymore. This was my major disappointment for this hotel and paying that much was not worth it.

Also only valet parking was available but no staff to serve when we went back the hotel after midnight.

I wish the hotel room was much better and I would not be disappointed by paying this expensive amount for this low quality of room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your Sofitel experience. We are very proud of our Club Sofitel product and service and are delighted that you had a good chance to experience them for your stay.

With regards to the room size, unfortunately, we are somewhat restricted by our building’s heritage listing however our management team are trying to look for what solutions are available for this to.

I am also sorry to hear of the problem you experience with electric socket in your room. May I kindly ask that you please contact me on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com with the room number you stayed in so that we can investigate it further? I do hope it did not impair your faith in Sofitel Sydney Wentworth too much and truly hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Korean first
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

From your first step in the front door you know you will enjoy your stay ,staff were first class and very help full The room was a good size and the king size bed was just like home slept really well.,
We did enjoy the breakfasts and a great way to start the day .
As it was my husbands first trip to Sydney it was perfect as we took the opportunity to walk ever where it was central to ,The Shops,The Gardens ,Art Gallery's etc .
We would both recommend the hotel we enjoyed our stay and will stay again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

It was delightful to read your review and I am glad that the Hotel offered you everything that you required for a pleasant and trouble-free stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and please rest assured that I will pass your comments on to our entire team, which will serve as motivation as they continue to strive to provide a level of service that lives up to our guest’s expectations.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The beds at the Sofitel are VERY comfortable..which made it hard to get up in the morning! Friendly staff, who are available to help book cabs or tickets etc - would be handy if you don't know Sydney! A good location in the middle of town - an easy walk to Pitt St Mall or Circular Quay.

The removable shower head was cracked when we arrived (still usable), and the staff didn't seem too concerned when we told them. Otherwise, the only complaint would be that the shampoo and conditioner was not replaced during our three night stay - disappointing given the 'upmarket' nature of the chain.

Value could be improved with less spent on scented tea light candles and fresh red roses daily for the foyer - the mix of the two was a little nauseating! - and instead on wifi for guests or something similar.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. While I am very pleased that you were impressed with the service from our Concierge team and had the opportunity to enjoy the Sofitel MyBed, I am sorry to read of your disappointment with some aspects.

I have addressed the concerns you raised with our Executive Housekeeper who are taking appropriate action to ensure the issues you encountered regarding the cracked shower head and the replenishment of the room amenities, are not repeated for our future guests.

Again, thank you for your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth again in the future.

MELBOURNE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel for 2 nights. As a memebr of the Sofitel Club we were unable to check in as a late arrival 11.00pm.and checked at the front desk. We had driven from the Airport and were told no valet parking was available (from a 5 star hotel ?) and had to tip the porter to drive the car to the car park (behind the hotel). Our room 1650 was suppose to be a Deluxe one on the 16th floor ( one of 3 floors dedicated to Club members) I wonder what a non member room was like.It was knocked around with chips off the walls and a screen blind missing, bathroom cracks etc; when we mentioned this to a "service officer" she said complain ?. The Club was always packed I know the hotel was full but really, familes were sprawled over 2 rooms and the so called "dress" code was not enforced.One thing that was positive was that I came back to the hotel at 7.45pm and went to the Club who had stopped serving wine, as we had been there earlier they did serve us one glass of wine. When we checked out there was no connection to us as to did we enjopy our stay or was there any-thing that they could have done to make our stay more enjoyable.Sorry Sofltel but as stated never again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
It is with sincere regret that I read your comments regarding your Sofitel experience. I cannot apologise enough for your disappointment and I encourage you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com or 02 9228 9110 as I would like to ensure that a full and thorough follow up is carried out of the issue that you have raised.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your honest and constructive feedback will definitely assist us to better improve the service we offer our guests. I truly hope that your experience has not impaired your trust in Sofitel Sydney Wentworth and that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel again for a truly magnifique stay.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed there for 1 night. In spite of the discounted rate, Sofitel still accepted me for a very early check in before 7 am in the morning. Internet speed was good and the breakfast was also very good. Very good value for money.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share you lovely comments. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that your stay lived up to your expectations. I am glad we were able to accommodate all your needs including early checking in.

Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night only last week, and frankly,rather disappointed with the place. I had been in Asia and stayed at some fantastic hotels over the previous ten days of my trip, but the Sofitel was average at best. I checked in early , having arrived on a flight from Tokyo and had to book for two nights to ensure a room was available at 8am in the morning. I have no issue with this, but the room itself was small,with a window looking out on to a brick wall, the bathroom appeared to be in a cupboard and I was unable to get the TV to work properly. The bed however was large and very comfortable,as I found out subsequently.
The lobby of the hotel was pleasant however, and I did have a drink in the bar that evening, which was also fine, with competent staff.
When I checked out the following morning at 3.45am, I was charged for internet access,which I was told was normal in Australia, although certainly not in Asia, and then charged 1 1/2 % for paying with a corporate Amex card - too tired to argue, but left the hotel with the opinion that I would probably not check in again in future, which is probably not the impression a hotel would want you to leave with.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations due to some aspects although you felt comfortable during your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and invite you to contact me on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com or 02 9228 9110 so that we can focus our attention on improving our offering for future guests.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that we have opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth again in the future.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Not as 'posh' as it makes out on an international scale. Rooms are average size, there is no free wireless Internet, which you'd expect from such a 'European' smart hotel. Annoying false French accents with French greetings.... I was in Sydney for goodness sake, speak English.

To park the car was ridiculously expensive, not valet... $48 per day.

Rooms average size, bathrooms small, no bath !

The most positive side was the mattress topper (down/feather) and the goose down pillows.... Slept on a cloud..... :-)

Otherwise, pretentious and over priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your, and our, expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and invite you to contact me on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com or 02 9228 9188 so that we can focus our attention on improving our offering for future guests. I was however delighted that you enjoyed our Sofitel ‘My Bed’ which are a feature of all Sofitel Hotels.

Thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth? Share your experiences!